Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Thats what I do now, and it serves me well. I am lucky i figured that out watching videos. I am horrible at following knot or origami style videos. People had posted on style forum about a way to correctly tie your laces so that the knot lays horizontal with the front bar, and i just kept staring at it. I went crazy....

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Here's one I've owned for a while, but have never before worn. Not entirely sure just yet what I think of it.

bowtie032212.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Agreed. It's the right amount of pizazz too; since it has a rather subdued color palette, you can handle the wacky pattern. I like it. Is it vintage or modern?

Vintage, but I'm not sure how old (and I'm not sure what to look for to figure out how old it is -- any tips?).

Twill

One of the Regulars
Vintage, but I'm not sure how old (and I'm not sure what to look for to figure out how old it is -- any tips?).

The shape/dimensions and thickness (or un-thickness, really) is what caused me to ask. While I'm not an expert, I've amassed quite a vintage collection, and I can tell you which of mine are older than others, but I can't tell you specific dates. Sometimes logos, material, clasp & stop shape and material can let you know how old. If you post up a picture of the sizing part, logo, and clasp/buckle, I could take a stab at it, perhaps with help from the group.

From what little research I've done to date vintage bow ties, there really is no resources I can find on the subject. Lots on standard ties, and that could be helpful as far as pattern and material is concern, but not not enough for accuracy in my opinion.

Last edited:

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
THis is from Beau Ties Ltd. Its design is that of a NYC skyline...

I chose this today, with nothing to do, but I look good doing nothing :)

bow.jpg

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Thank you very much. I have figured that If i start messing with the knot from the top down, i can make it a great deal straighter. I still can't figure out how to do it like the video bringing it to the front...ROFL

My sister gave me hell today for wearing it. I had no where to go, but considering I was off today, and not in scrubs I decided to wear it. Ill wear another tomorrow as well. I need to get some more colors in my arsenal. I have way to many blues, but already have another blue one picked out :)

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Lovely peruple tie. I need to get me some purples

Here is one I picked up at Brooks Brothers, but the brand escapes me, and I'm not taking off the tie to check. It has buttons instead of sliders to adjust the size that you want. Interesting tie, and a nice feel to it. The color is baby/sky blue. Sorry about the bad lighting.

bow2.jpg

BTW, my sister is rolling her eyes having to be seen with me like this. We are room mates, and she would rather me wear my Yankees cap. HA!!

jodbirch

New in Town
Greetings,

I've been a lurker on here for many years and I think this may be my first post. Anyway, I can no longer remain silent after seeing all these great and bowtie-related posts. I've been a proud bowtie wearer for about the last five or six years. Found my first few at the Salvation Army. Recently I've really been running into a lot of decently priced bowties at places such as TJ Maxx, etc. It's increased the frequency of my wearing them quite a bit! I have to admit it took me a while to build up the courage to start wearing one in public on a regular basis. In fact there are some days where I feel kind of conspicuous...but not any more conspicuous than when I regularly started wearing a hat I suppose. Anyway...I have enjoyed this thread quite a bit!

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I'm so confused by this. Why would she care so much? It's odd to me that someone would have a problem with you dressing sharply.

It's a great bow, and you tie it superbly.

She's always saying I look like a dork, go figure..haha. She's younger, and prefers jeans and t-shirts

Greetings,

I've been a lurker on here for many years and I think this may be my first post. Anyway, I can no longer remain silent after seeing all these great and bowtie-related posts. I've been a proud bowtie wearer for about the last five or six years. Found my first few at the Salvation Army. Recently I've really been running into a lot of decently priced bowties at places such as TJ Maxx, etc. It's increased the frequency of my wearing them quite a bit! I have to admit it took me a while to build up the courage to start wearing one in public on a regular basis. In fact there are some days where I feel kind of conspicuous...but not any more conspicuous than when I regularly started wearing a hat I suppose. Anyway...I have enjoyed this thread quite a bit!

Welcome to the board!!!

jodbirch

New in Town
Another thing I've noticed in my bowtie-wearing adventures: Some people apparently have no idea that there are such things as self-tie bowties. They always assume it's a clip-on or a formal wear type latch-on. They seem to be amazed that it's actually a tie that you...tie. Understandable in today's culture I suppose. Conversely, some people are aware of self-tie bowties, but ask me, "It's a clip-on, right?"

Twill

One of the Regulars
Another thing I've noticed in my bowtie-wearing adventures: Some people apparently have no idea that there are such things as self-tie bowties. They always assume it's a clip-on or a formal wear type latch-on. They seem to be amazed that it's actually a tie that you...tie. Understandable in today's culture I suppose. Conversely, some people are aware of self-tie bowties, but ask me, "It's a clip-on, right?"

I get the same thing. On more than one occasion, I've had someone playfully pull at it completely unaware that it is self-tied. Then they are completely amazed that I can re-tie it. lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider