Bow Ties

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Imahomer, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Oooh, I like this one!

2. DanielJones

DanielJones I'll Lock Up

I have to say, there has been a splendid display of bow ties as of late. Well done gentlemen.

Cheers!

Dan

3. Nick D

Nick D Call Me a Cab

Very nice. Does it behave differently cut on the straight instead of the bias?

4. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

the fabric is on the bias; the grain that appears to be straight in the close up would actually be at 45 degrees if you viewed one of the stripes vertically.

5. Yesterday, my neighbor across the street was getting rid of a lot of stuff from his mother's estate. My son got one of those old clip on ties. He wore it the rest of the day. lol lol

6. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Familiar Face

Plain old Brooks Bros

7. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

HBK I really like the bowties. But can you explain how to date them? Stripes are almost timeless. So the size and shape is...smaller than 40s? As far as I know bowties started to get small again in the 50s...but narrow and straight batwing style?

8. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

i'm not an expert on bow ties shapes however, fabrics (and labels) are very dateable when compared side by side to other (American) ties i have from the 20s and 30s. Palm Beach fabrics of the 20s are especially distinctive.

9. Flat Foot Floey

Yes, I think ties are much easiert to date. Of course the labels are comparable. I should buy 100 more ties to be able to compare them^

10. Bowties are extremely difficult to date. I've never been able to work out a good general system. Obviously the Palm Beach labels give some info on date depending upon who the makers/owners are. but a generic silk striped tie? :eusa_doh:

I guess there's something to be gleaned from the patents stated on the size adjustment portion. I'm not a great fan of bowties so i don't own many, so I don't have many to compare.[huh]

bk

11. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Familiar Face

[​IMG]

12. SkyCapt.

SkyCapt. New in Town

I have been wearing bow ties for 10 years now. They tend to contrast cigars aficionados, mild & subtle in the beginning then robust & flavorful as time goes on.

13. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

[​IMG]

For Friday's Bow Tie Friday offering, a no-name item, much darker brown than shows up in the picture.

14. MisterGrey

MisterGrey Practically Family

My Easter outfit, bow-tie inclusive

[​IMG]

15. Espee

Espee Practically Family

I've seen Countess Mara bows which are sold tied, and they are tightly attached to the "hang card" for the store display. One might start to wonder, "Can I untie it and then tie it myself, or is it of that other kind?" and the card is keeping you from getting a good look. BUT... there is a diagram of "How to Tie a Bow Tie" attached, so there's the answer.

16. jodbirch

jodbirch New in Town

I've recently acquired a few Countess Mara bow ties. They were packaged in an obvious "untied" state, so I knew they were self-tie! They seem to be good quality, and they have some unique designs.

17. hPPYs

hPPYs New in Town

Three new bow ties from Beau Ties Ltd.

[​IMG]

18. jodbirch

jodbirch New in Town

"Three new bow ties from Beau Ties Ltd."

Very nice trio of bow ties! I like the polka dots! I only have one polka dotted bow tie at the moment (black with white dots), but I hope to be adding more soon to my collection.

19. Vampyre Master

Vampyre Master Vendor

Greetings
    my collection of vintage bows the clipon is Ormond NYC 1950[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    VM

20. Flat Foot Floey

[​IMG]
    William Butler Yeats, 1932 -by Edward Steichen

I like his funny bowtie knot :D