Bow Ties

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Imahomer, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Well.

I bought my first bowtie today.

Never really been one for bowties, but I figured I'd buy one and at least learn how to tie it. It's a neat little cobalt blue tie. Very neat. I'm vaguely familiar with the tying of a bowtie, but I never pulled one off successfully (by successfully, I mean, it looks neat when it's done).

Gonna practice on this one and see what's what. Any tips for a newbie?

2. MikeBravo

MikeBravo One Too Many

It seems there are some ladies who wear bow ties too

[​IMG]

3. Edward

Edward Bartender

Half the joy of a bow is having to fight with it a bit to get it right.... and you don't want it too[/] neat, or it'll look like one of those ghastly pre-tied confections... ;)
    There are a lot of good videos on Youtube that show you how to do it. The more often you wear one, the easier it gets - for me by this point it's a second nature as tying a four in hand (which I've been doing for a little over thirty years now).

4. Sam Craig

Sam Craig One Too Many

We had a funeral, yesterday, for the man who taught me how to tie a bow tie.

Back in the early 70s he ran a local men's wear store and every young man who came in and bought a bow tie from him got a lesson on how to choose a good tie and how to tie a bow tie.

He was a kind gentleman and ran the sort of business that no longer exists outside of unaffordable realms.

But when I was a young man, stores that sold classic clothing to working class people were readily available.

In the past 40 years, every single time I have tied a bow tie I have thought of this kind man.

I am left today with the clear understanding that we simply have no idea how we influence the lives around us with a simple act of consideration.

God bless his memory,

Sam

5. Twill

Twill One of the Regulars

Quote of the day. Well said, sir.

6. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

Good one Sam. It is the simple things that count. How one looks does make a difference and people do notice it.

7. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Today, with the help of a YouTube video, I finally tied my first ever bowtie! Using the blue one I bought (see the posts above), I adjusted the length and gave it a shot. Third time was the charm and I pulled it off with satisfactory and proud results. Photographic documentation of my success may be seen below:

[​IMG]

Eh? :)

Now all I have to do is practice.

8. AntonAAK

AntonAAK Practically Family

Congratulations, Shangas. It took me way longer than that to learn but once it 'clicked' I couldn't see what the problem was.

I practised a lot by wearing one around the house for a while. I would get home from work and replace my straight tie with a bow tie. This gave me the practise of tying one everyday without strangers seeing what a mess it sometimes was. Only when it became second nature did I proudly venture out in one.

I am wearing a modern batwing from Gieves and Hawkes today for Bow Tie Friday. I must buy a camera sometime.

9. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Thanks, Anton. I still require a BIT of practice, but I'm rapidly getting the hang of it now.

Now I'm scared I'll start buying bowties...

10. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

[​IMG]

This week's venture into Bow Tie Friday is an orange paisley number, from the good folks at Carrot and Gibbs, who declare below the title that this tie was hand made in Boulder, Colorado. I have never been to Boulder.

Present but not seen is the pocket square that could almost be part of a tie and ps set; it, too, looks like a sixties Nehru jacket dyed with orange juice.

11. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Familiar Face

I own a red bowtie that I occasionally wear with my tweed sportcoat or with my navy blazer. I've recieved many sincere compliments on it from lots of people, although my girlfriend dislikes it. It is one of my favorite ties though and I'm fond of quoting one of my heroes and telling people "Bowties are cool" :D

12. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Familiar Face

[​IMG]

13. clarinetplayer

Woweeee!

14. Sam Craig

Sam Craig One Too Many

I always get a kick out of the "hand made ties" notations.
    What do other companies do? Do they train people to make ties with their feet? Are there robot-made ties? Or is there a tie tree somewhere that just grows ties?
    I want one of those!

Sam

15. clarinetplayer

[​IMG]

16. You have to go to the Tie Tree Nursery to get a special Bow Tie Tree. :p

17. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

That could almost become a tongue-twister.

18. Say it three times and then try to tie your bow tie. :p

19. Espee

Espee Practically Family

That's like hard candies which are labeled "A Fat-Free Food"-- it's true, and it impresses some folks.

20. Sam Craig

Sam Craig One Too Many

That's a great looking tie