Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I don't believe it was anything other tan a personal fashion choice. The tie was either navy or black, I assume.... only ever seen b&w photos. He probably either only had the one or a handful of them and just wore it often.

OK, I'm no Churchill expert, but do a photo search on the man and you see the same tie ... and ONLY that tie ... worn from the last part of the last century -- no, the one before that -- up through the end of his life. He wore it with a frock coat and wing collar while still a young man.

Maybe he just got an incredibly good deal on a bale of navy silk ties, but you find him with the same tie forever.

Sam

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Great finds! Could you please post a photo of the adjustable part with the label?

As requested:
bowtielabels.jpg

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0666-1.jpg

A not very vintage but ivy league-wannabe Bow Tie Friday, with a Talbott Blackwatch pattern. The rest is navy wool blazer with some kind of yellow ps; present but not seen are the khakis and Sperry Topsiders.

edit: please excuse unshaven neck, I know it looks icky.

Last edited:

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I've always thought the bow tie was a look not everyone could pull off. I'm wondering how many guys here wear them, have thought about wearing one, or even know how to tie one!

Personally, I don't think one would look good on me. :cry:

Dear Sir, I have only worn bowties for about the past 20 years. The trick is to find the styles and colors that work for you. There is a myriad of shapes and sizes to consider. They come in butterfly size (I.E. large), diamond point ends, and straight ribbon styles, and others also. You can get them from Brooks Brothers, Ben Silver, Beau Ties Ltd, etc. I find for me that it allows me to look natty even if my jacket is off, and should I wish to take it off it fits nicely in my pocket. Also often people comment how nice it looks, and are amazed that it is a real “to be tied” bowtie. The hardest part learning how to tie it yourself if you do not have someone to show you. Ben Silver has a video on their site as an example, and I’m sure there are others on the net. They also have the advantage of never going out of style, you have to be belligerent to get food stains on them, and they exude an air of self-confidence. Don’t be too quick to rule them out as part of your sartorial selections. My wife thinks I look dashing in them. Consider at least a test drive.

Dear Sir, I have only worn bowties for about the past 20 years. The trick is to find the styles and colors that work for you. There is a myriad of shapes and sizes to consider. They come in butterfly size (I.E. large), diamond point ends, and straight ribbon styles, and others also. You can get them from Brooks Brothers, Ben Silver, Beau Ties Ltd, etc. I find for me that it allows me to look natty even if my jacket is off, and should I wish to take it off it fits nicely in my pocket. Also often people comment how nice it looks, and are amazed that it is a real “to be tied” bowtie. The hardest part learning how to tie it yourself if you do not have someone to show you. Ben Silver has a video on their site as an example, and I’m sure there are others on the net. They also have the advantage of never going out of style, you have to be belligerent to get food stains on them, and they exude an air of self-confidence. Don’t be too quick to rule them out as part of your sartorial selections. My wife thinks I look dashing in them. Consider at least a test drive.

I agree with all of your comments except one. Put the bowtie on my three year old and you are going to get food stains on it. :p

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Thanks for the kind comment. My son, who is now nine, has worn only bowties all his life. My practice has been that when I purchase one from Beau Ties Ltd in my size, I get one for him in his size, a real “to be tied” one of course. Thankfully he has yet to stain a tie. That being said, he has done some interesting Gordian’s Knot tying jobs on his various Teddy Bears that I have had to undo and steam and press out. I should contact Beau Ties Ltd. and have them send their small boys’ ties here as a proving ground for their various fabrics. I still have his first tie from them that he has outgrown. If it goes the distance with my son, it deserves an honorable mention at least!

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I agree with all of your comments except one. Put the bowtie on my three year old and you are going to get food stains on it. :p
I am posting this again because I forgot to quote you so that you knew I intended on responding to you kind & humorous note.

Thanks for the kind comment. My son, who is now nine, has worn only bowties all his life. My practice has been that when I purchase one from Beau Ties Ltd in my size, I get one for him in his size, a real “to be tied” one of course. Thankfully he has yet to stain a tie. That being said, he has done some interesting Gordian’s Knot tying jobs on his various Teddy Bears that I have had to undo and steam and press out. I should contact Beau Ties Ltd. and have them send their small boys’ ties here as a proving ground for their various fabrics. I still have his first tie from them that he has outgrown. If it goes the distance with my son, it deserves an honorable mention at least!

I am posting this again because I forgot to quote you so that you knew I intended on responding to you kind & humorous note.

My two boys are also a proving ground for bowties. Obviously the three year old can't tie his own but I do it for him. :p I should know better than to let him eat with it on but.....
My older boy wears bowties once in a while but neckties much more often. The younger one wants one more often than the older one does. Although they get jealous and each want their own when one is wearing a bowtie. :p
I have dozens of vintage bowties that I bought years ago so they certainly have a purpose. I wear them often enough as well. My bowties are more likely to wear out from the constant adjusting from my neck size down to theirs. :p
Your post came at just the right time as my son wore a bowtie last night out to dinner and now I have to take it to the dry cleaner. :p

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
My two boys are also a proving ground for bowties. Obviously the three year old can't tie his own but I do it for him. :p I should know better than to let him eat with it on but.....
My older boy wears bowties once in a while but neckties much more often. The younger one wants one more often than the older one does. Although they get jealous and each want their own when one is wearing a bowtie. :p
I have dozens of vintage bowties that I bought years ago so they certainly have a purpose. I wear them often enough as well. My bowties are more likely to wear out from the constant adjusting from my neck size down to theirs. :p
Your post came at just the right time as my son wore a bowtie last night out to dinner and now I have to take it to the dry cleaner. :p

I can feel your pain on the dry cleaning of your ties. Even at age nine I do an interdiction of the tie at meal times to avoid unintended food decoration. Keep up the good work with your sons. I also have some nice vintage ties given to me by others. They are priceless as they often are great patterns no longer made.

Last edited:
I can feel your pain on the dry cleaning of your ties. Even at age nine I do an interdiction of the tie at meal times to avoid unintended food decoration. Keep up the good work with your sons. I also have some nice vintage ties given to me by others. They are priceless as they often are great patterns no longer made.

I just hope the dry cleaner doesn't make the tie look worse. I have lost some vintage ties through dry cleaning. :eusa_doh:

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I just hope the dry cleaner doesn't make the tie look worse. I have lost some vintage ties through dry cleaning. :eusa_doh:
I have had some success in the past gently washing ties by hand in lukewarm water with Woolite, and afterward blotting them on a Turkish towel. Then when they are nearly dry pressing them carefully with an iron. AVOID a blast of steam with silk ties as it leaves watermarks! It is not fool proof, or without its risks, but I have saved some of my son’s ties this way, and rejuvenated a few of my own. Just thought you might wish to know one of my trade secrets so that you can save some money for gas, or perhaps have a hat blocked. Best Wishes.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I just ordered two bowties. They will be the first I have ever purchesed. I just hope I can wear them. Time will tell.
At least I will give it a try
You will be able to wear them just fine, just be patient and persevere in getting one on the first several times. After that it will become more and more natural until it becomes second nature. It is very similar to tying your shoes, and you can find videos online to see how it is done. I had to do it the hard way with only written instructions with no one else to help. It took me about 10 minutes the first time, and the next time I cut that time in half. Now more than 20 years later I can get one on in under a minute with no fuss or muss. The secret is learning how to adjust the tie once it is on. It is a good idea to straighten out the centre knot of the tie to make the fabric lie flat before pulling on the ends of the tie to snug it tight. Preserver, you will be rewarded with the satisfaction that you have mastered a true gentlemanly art, and will also be receive more complements about your ties that the occasional rude remark. And people will at times be wide-eyed with amazement when to tell them it is a genuine “to be tied” one. Be of good cheer and enjoy the journey.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Nice! I have one like it in red and blue stripes. I hope the dry cleaner doesn't ruin it in the cleaning process. Perhaps letting my son wear it was a bad idea. :p

This is a test of the emergency pun system.

When you get your tie back, I hope it is not a depressing event.

Sorry but you left too tempting of a straight line out there for the taking.

This has been a test of the emergency pun system.

This is a test of the emergency pun system.

When you get your tie back, I hope it is not a depressing event.

Sorry but you left too tempting of a straight line out there for the taking.

This has been a test of the emergency pun system.

It actually came out fine. They kind of pressed it a bit too flat but at least it didn't fall apart----something very real with a bowtie over fifty years old. :p
They do better with my heavy starch shirts. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ