Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Torpedo

One Too Many
Classic striped bow tie today...

DSC01073.jpg

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Was looking for a new tie for the holidays this week. I hit Kohls, JCPenneys, & Burlington. None ... NONE had any bow ties. That was depressing. It seems the only luck I have is at the thrift stores.

GMS

New in Town
Was looking for a new tie for the holidays this week. I hit Kohls, JCPenneys, & Burlington. None ... NONE had any bow ties. That was depressing. It seems the only luck I have is at the thrift stores.

I was out looking the past couple of weeks too. The only bow ties I came across were black and with the tuxedos.

I ended up ordering one from the tiebar.com on recommendation from this thread. Nice quality ties, I'll be doing more business with them. This is also my first bow tie, you guys inspired me to try one out, and I like them quite a bit.

Torpedo

One Too Many
For Christmas today I wore this specially ordered Beau Ties bow tie, with a crisscross pattern of Christmas plants - ponsettiae...

DSC01211.jpg

(I acquired a number of Beau Ties items that I plan to use for the different holidays...)

Espee

Practically Family
Around here, Burlington stores have 6-8 varieties of pre-tied over with the formal vests etc. Not much selection, but very inexpensive.
Kohl's was carrying some pre-tied by Chaps in 2009, but they worked their way over to the 80% Off area after a while, and they weren't replenished.
Nordstrom Rack (outlet) has Rooster and at least one other brand. (I didn't notice any in the actual Nordstroms.)

Espee

Practically Family
Learning to tie a bow tie, using diagrams and a couple of videos, I was frustrated by something that wasn't being mentioned. I could sort-of-do-it, but my knot was much too big in relation to the "sides" or "wings" or whatever. Eventually I realized that I couldn't possibly have a small knot-- like in the pictures-- unless I was forming it from the narrowest part (the long center section of the tie.)
I was starting off with two different brands, each "batwing" I guess, but one of them tapered off more slowly. So I was always forming the knot out of wider material on this one.
Pretty soon I started cheating by letting out the length adjustment all the way, and after doing the basic tying, I pulled from behind, "outward" which tightened things up in front but created slack around my neck. Next I spun it around so I could get at the length adjustment and take the slack out.
Maybe this is unnecessary effort but it's the only way that works for me. And it works IF it's a slider-type adjustment-- the type with the T-shaped hook that goes "up-in-twist-wiggle-down-in" to a hole is awfully hard to deal with when the tie is around my neck.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nordstrom always has bow ties in men's furnishings - with the cuff links and braces and the like. As for Kohl's and Macy's and Penney's and the like - they haven't carried them in 20+ years unfortunately. But there are several great sources on the 'Net - just try hitting good old Google. There used to be a Lounger in...Charleston? Well - one of the Carolinas who worked for a men's store that made and sold them.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just ordered my first vintage bow tie a few days ago. Can't wait until it arrives. They had some more in the same etsy shop but I hesistated because I first wanted to try if I can get used to wear bowties. (ordered two vintage ties together with it..haha)

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
I was out shopping the other morning and actually found some real bowties hanging with the pre-tied ones at my local Macy’s, which surprised me. Took a pass though, as I didn't care much for the shape.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Scotty, FFF, take the plunge! Make it one of the New Year resolutions... :D I began with a couple of them too, just to see if I liked it. Well, I did, and went adding on, on, and on... I am presently waiting for another half a dozen...

Dan'l

Practically Family
The good wife got me a bow tie for Christmas and I love it. I have wanted one for years and just never took the step. At some point I want to start posting picutres here in the lounge, when that happens I'll have some bow tie photos to share.
My bow tie came from Macy's and is white with thin black diagonal stripes. Thanks to the FL I learned how to tie the bow. It took a minute and the first time I had to have my wife help me but it was really nice to see how easy it really was to tie.
Guess what I want more of now :)

HHCassius

New in Town
Nordstrom always has bow ties in men's furnishings - with the cuff links and braces and the like. As for Kohl's and Macy's and Penney's and the like - they haven't carried them in 20+ years unfortunately. But there are several great sources on the 'Net - just try hitting good old Google. There used to be a Lounger in...Charleston? Well - one of the Carolinas who worked for a men's store that made and sold them.

Too bad you guys aren't in metro Atlanta. K&G Men's Store still carries bowties...I forget where I got them when I was in school -- that's when I started and stopped wearing them. Wish I had more opportunities and nerve to wear them nowadays...

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
Got some things to go with my bow ties. I have a few new sweater vests and a newsie hat. Both of which I love! I love the look of the hat with the tie, it dresses it down a bit, but yet up at the same time.
extraextra.jpg

Dan'l

Practically Family
Got some things to go with my bow ties. I have a few new sweater vests and a newsie hat. Both of which I love! I love the look of the hat with the tie, it dresses it down a bit, but yet up at the same time.

That's a good photo psugrad98. I got sweater vest to go with my bow tie and cloth cap. I love the look of a bow tie with a sweater vest.

Apparently Macy's got the memo that guys are wearing bow ties again. I had never seen any there until a couple of months before Christmas and now they have dozens to choose from at our local Macy's.

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
It's a shame. I live in the country, but work in the city. The very nice clothing store in the small town where I live sells great suits, jackets, etc. They don't, however, sell much wardrobe clothes.
Most people where I live buy a suit for a wedding, funeral, or just for church, they don't buy ensembles.

In the city you see that more, so you can shop for outfits. The outfit I am wearing is a common outfit. I can vary it with a different tie or shirt, but the gist is the same.

I have a similar ensemble for my blue vest.

And yes, Macy's sells bow ties, as does JOS A. Bank. Some Men's warhouse sell bowties, but they are the sensible man's brooks brothers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy