Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Espee

Practically Family
I just found a Penney's with one of their tie racks devoted to Izod bowties. They were tied (but very casually and not sewn.) They have a T-hook for length adjustment and a J-hook to put on/take off. So if you want to, you can tie them once the way want them and use the J-hook from then on.
Or you can continually re-tie them "to fit your mood"....

Espee

Practically Family
I put pretied ties up there with velcro shoes. They serve a purpose sure, but why?
I guess to avoid the "I'll bet he tied it himself, because his face is red and he has sweat stains under his arms" look.

I have three pretied-- #1 from when I was a timid beginner, #2 and #3 because they were useful colors "and they were practically giving them away."
I have one which I converted to a hook and then tied "once and for all" because it's fraying and I want to make it last, for a little while anyway.
I have about seven self-tie, which I prefer-- except when my shoulder is bothering me and/or it's a very hot day. (When I need A/C or a fan...)

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
first vintage bowtie arrived. it's a diamond shape from 40s or so. bowtie dating is new to me. only have a crappy webcam picture but you can guess the pattern.
lifecam024.jpg

Dan'l

Practically Family
Not vintage but here's my first bow tie. It was a gift that I liked so much I went out (Macy's) and bought a second one over the weekend.

P1220012.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I'm currently waiting for a couple more woven silk bow ties to arrive from eBay. They come direct from China; the quality is superb, and with a little patience to bid one new auctions, they can be had for the minimum bid of 99p (plus £3.99 P&P) - an overall total much cheaper than anywhere else. Lovely quality, too (better, IMO, than what you see in Tie Rack at two or three times the price). Just a shame they don't do one with point ends.

Torpedo

One Too Many
FFF, that's a snazzy pattern! And diamond point - my favourites.
Dan'l, I like that pattern too, on the more conservative side.
Bugsy, that's the classic "Churchill" style dot pattern. I would like to get hold of one, but I have had no luck so far.

Tony, Beau Ties, for one, will make you extra long bow ties. No surcharge, I believe.

Last edited:

Dan'l

Practically Family
Dan'l, I like that pattern too, on the more conservative side.

Thank you Torpedo,
Actually, I always enjoy seeing what you post in this thread as it is always inspiring.

I'm hoping to find some of those diamond cut bow ties, hopefully at a local thrift store where I've had good luck finding vintage neck ties.

ssfilez

New in Town
Hi, Imahomer. You will never know unless you try wearing one. But I do agree with your opinion and it is true that not everyone looks good wearing a bow tie. Then again, I believe that wearing this makes a person look manlier and elegant so I guess putting on a bow tie from time to time is not really that bad.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Wore a bow tie on Friday and recieved much acclaim from co-workers. Not a single disparaging comment, instead there was approval.

I am planning on making Fridays "Bow Ties Fridays" for myself. Bid is out on the bay for a packet of self-tie bow ties. Stay tuned...

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Wore a bow tie on Friday and recieved much acclaim from co-workers. Not a single disparaging comment, instead there was approval.

I am planning on making Fridays "Bow Ties Fridays" for myself. Bid is out on the bay for a packet of self-tie bow ties. Stay tuned...

This classifies as a win. We definitely need to make bowtie fridays a much bigger thing.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
FFF, that's a snazzy pattern! And diamond point - my favourites.
Thank you sir. That coming from the king of bowties himself as far as I can see. I am afraid it could lead to a new addiction for me too...

I just god another one....my third. It is vintage but I dont know how to date it. Rather slim, solid blue (maybe tending to petrol), all silk, german brand (pelo) and diamond point. When where the slim bow ties in fashion? 50s-60s like the slim ties?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi FFF and Dan'l, thank you for the compliments. This makes my bow tie championing efforts all the more worthwile :D .

By the way, coincidentally, I wore a thin bow tie myself, today:

DSC01421bb.jpg

I understand narrower bow ties follow suit with long ties, and were fashionable at the same time that narrow lapel jackets, so 50s and 60s. They certainly look better so coupled, although, as is the case with long ties, some margin is allowable. Some daring or unusual patterns seem to come most frequently with narrow bow ties too, so they merit some love and justify keeping some appropriate clothing, the better to display them!

Fifty150

One Too Many
Yes, being able to tie a bow is a dying art. Luckily, I do know how to do it, and I look pretty cool towards the end of the evening when I untie it and just dangle it from around my neck next to the open collar. But then again, I'm a muscular 210 pounds, with a big chest, wide back, big arms, v-shaped torso, and slim waist. I don't look like a skinny dork waiting to be picked on. When I wear a bow tie, it's done with a "tough guy" panache. Classic clothes look so much better with a slutty tramp of a girlfriend hanging off my arm. My girl is real slutty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112