Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Torpedo

One Too Many
Another skinny bow tie... this one is interesting in that it has is reversible, with the same pattern, but in different colours, on each side. You can play with contrast between the dominant colours, depending on how the bow is tied. This style seems to be more prevalent in pre-tied, clip, bowties, but this one is self-tied.

DSC01439b.jpg

P1010006-1.jpg

DSC01448b.jpg

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Yesterday was the second week of my unofficial Bow Tie Fridays at work, and again the response was thoroughly positive. Someone actually said "Bowtie Fridays are here to stay." One of the sharpest dressers I know complemented me on the tie. Everyone is really dazzled that it's not a clip on. I feign disgust when such a thing is mentioned.

Now if can just win a bid at the you-know-where for some more self-ties I'll be set.

Terrierpike

New in Town
New to the website, not new to bow-ties. You guys look great. It's good to see folks keeping the vastly superior form of neckwear alive and well.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Today was week three of my self-declared Bow Tie Fridays, and again, the comments were one hundred per cent positive and complimentary. One comment was that I was "looking unusually sharp." Others made passing comments about looking nice, etc.

I'll have to get Teenaged Hood to process some photos so I post the ties; I can't figure out all that techno stuff...

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Bow Tie Friday for February the 25th was another day of co-worker approval and nice compliments. There must have been four or five enthusiastic comments about how cool the tie looked, from both females and males. One person even used my "bow tie Friday" phrase. The ensemble was blue suit, white shirt and reddish tie. Nothing vintage unless looking professional is vintage.

Dan'l

Practically Family
Ok, so I'm new to wearing bow ties but have two of them that I've worn a few times. Today I was going to wear one but could not get my hands, fingers, brain, eyes, whatever to work together. I could not tie a bow tie that I've tied before and got frustrated, to say the very least, and ended up wearing a skinny tie from the '50s (it's orange kind of like the bow tie I'd hoped to wear).

Has anyone else had this problem with not being able to tie a bow after you've tied the very bow tie before? It's bugged me all day lol

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I always have the same issue with bow-ties. Some evenings when I'm called to wear one it'll go fine - others I'll produce some hideous choking mess. I hate the damn things - when I can tie one it looks awful except for my black-tie item. They're just nasty - most simple to tie my foot!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone else had this problem with not being able to tie a bow after you've tied the very bow tie before? It's bugged me all day lol

Yes, but it goes away with time if you wear bows regularly enough. Heck, I can still vividly remember being a little kid and having a pair of velcro shoes between two pair of lace-ups and realizing in the time it took me to wear them out, I'd forgotten how to tie my shoes.

I can assure you that it hasn't happened since, however. If all else fails, once you've learned how to tie one again, wear a bow every day for a week (even if it's just around the house) to set the process in your mind, and thereafter once a month to stay in practice.

-Dave

Dan'l

Practically Family
Fizzling fireboxes! That was a fast reply Matt_the_chap. Thanks for the response. I have had some success with getting a good knot and then... not such good success. Today was just a melt-down of why can I not get this last vital piece to work, the actual knot.

Dan'l

Practically Family
...wear a bow every day for a week (even if it's just around the house) to set the process in your mind, and thereafter once a month to stay in practice.

-Dave

Thanks Dave,
I have been considering doing just that very thing. "Once a month to stay in practice" is also a good idea.

Dan'l

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
"Once a month to stay in practice" is also a good idea.

It's worked for me. I might also add that I find some bows tie easier than others, though I can't lay my finger on why. I have excellent luck with my Brooks Brothers "346" college-stripe number, and pretty good luck with my very first, very inexpensive Churchill-dot bow; but there's a particular blue striped one that gives me fits because it was it was made incorrectly and is a bit long.

-Dave

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I usually find lighter bows with softer interfacing more difficult to tie than ones that are a bit stiffer. But I've had a couple that were too stiff, so there's a happy medium that's just the right amount of pliability.

in/y

One of the Regulars
I'll also chime in on the practice makes perfect bandwagon.

Wednesdays have been my bowtie day for many years.

I also find that the straight batwing type (the kind with no tapering in the middle of the bow part of the tie) is easiest to tie. I can even do a decent job of tying this type blindly without a mirror these days and it comes out pretty good... most times.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I can even do a decent job of tying this type blindly without a mirror these days and it comes out pretty good... most times.

Good point; I actually find a mirror to be something of a handicap, because it makes me overthink the basic tying action. I only use one to fine-tune the look.

-Dave

Dan'l

Practically Family
I usually find lighter bows with softer interfacing more difficult to tie than ones that are a bit stiffer. But I've had a couple that were too stiff, so there's a happy medium that's just the right amount of pliability.

Interesting, the one I was trying to wear today is a little stiff. I wondered if that was part of my trouble.

I'm going to keep at it because I really like bow ties and have wanted to wear them for years now. To me, they create a very different look than a neck tie even when worn on the same suit, or outfit.

Thank you gents,

Dan'l

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran