Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Measure it by the width of your face. Not too beefy or wide; certainly not wider than the width of your jaw nor as narrow as your chin. Strive for balance and when you achieve it, it will be self-evident.

Bats wings are my favorites.

Ben R.

New in Town
That's some fine advice. I appreciate it.

I believe I'll spend some time trying on a3-1/2 and a 2-1/2 at a tux shop or similar place to see what really works for me before I make the investment.

Alan B.

New in Town
I always wanted the 3.5 inch butterfly bow tie and finally ordered one from Beau Ties. It just didn't look right on me. Big disappointment. There is a lot to be said for the standard size.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
cabcalloway.jpg

Anything from normal to "Cab Size" lol

have fun with your clothes and your look, play around with it once and a wile, you'll get the most out of your closet ;)

Forgotten Man said:
cabcalloway.jpg

Anything from normal to "Cab Size" lol

have fun with your clothes and your look, play around with it once and a wile, you'll get the most out of your closet ;)

Cab size looks like about 8." Looks like the same width as his hat. :eek: :p
I like the smaller straight bows no matter how fat headed I am. The biggest one reminds me of the bows on 1970s silver tuxedoes. :eek: :p

LindyTap

Familiar Face
Scratch that last post, I got it, I tied my first bowtie! Here's a pic, please excuse the ill-fitting shirt, poor picture quality, and mussed-up bow, this was just practice so I could learn to tie one!
bowtie.jpg

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
After many frustrating attempts at learning to tie a bow tie, I have finally mastered the seemingly elusive beauty of the bow. I must admit, however, it's also become somewhat of a new obsession, as I can't get enough of buying and wearing them. I don't know anyone else that wears them with any regularity as of now, so it sets me apart from the rest of the local crowd. Love the bow tie! Patience and perseverence is truly the key to learning to tie them, so don't give up.

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
Almost exclussively wear bowties

My great grandfather wore bowties and mostly only bowties. I inherited two bowties from him through my grandfather. A dense wool in burgundy and a batwing with a tennis racket motif. Taught myself to tie them in high school and wore on and off in university. After graduation started wearing bowties and my collection is somewhere around 200. Probably wear 30 of those on a regular basis. Almost impossible to spill on a bowtie.
:)

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
I picked up my first bow tie a few weeks ago to go with my tux at a black tie dinner. It's quite exciting to finally tie one. I tried and tried to figure it out, but this video was the biggest help. Watched it and had the tie figured out in 5 min. Had to tie it a couple times just to prove to myself it wasn't a fluke. I think I need to pick up a few more.

AlanC said:
Another good option for bow ties, although I've not tried them is Carrot & Gibbs of Colorado.

You mean the BEST option, right? ;) I mean, come on, they do make bows for that great shop in Charleston, who happens to have a store online as well, right? lol lol lol

I've just unpacked my spring bows, and will post some of my personal choices (i.e., the ones I cut for myself in the batch) posted directly.

LindyTap said:
Scratch that last post, I got it, I tied my first bowtie! Here's a pic, please excuse the ill-fitting shirt, poor picture quality, and mussed-up bow, this was just practice so I could learn to tie one!
bowtie.jpg

I love the mussed up bow - that's how it's supposed to be. Gives it character, makes it real. Well done.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I wear bow ties a few times a month. My friends and co-workers call me The Professor when I do. I like the change up, and just a little different look.

I was just starting in business(insurance) while in college, and the gentleman that ran the Men's Store in our town had a couple of bow ties in his case, and I told him I always liked the look but hated clip ons.

He showed me how to tie the tie, and I was hooked. He told me, "Don't make it perfect, let your style show with it"... And I have never tied it perfect, just for that reason, I let it get a little crooked, or a little off balance (not too). My old friend passed away several years ago, but I do appreciate him introducing me to bow ties (and hats for that matter).

And they just look so Dag Gone Cool, when you untie them and people say, "You tied that?" or "You know how to tie a bow tie?"

A lost art..

Steve

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I just ordered my first. I'm going to a dance at school (Social Dance Club) and the theme is black and gold, which are our school colors, so since I didn't have a gold tie I figured I'd go with something a little different. I ordered a nice light/dark gold corded silk bowtie, so I'll have to learn how to tie it.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Didn't Oscar Wilde say something to the effect of it being the final exam for manhood to be able to tie a bowtie? It certainly felt like a right of passage to learn - thank goodness for Video Jug!

I wear one about every two weeks, just to keep in practice. Unfortunately, I often don't have occasion to wear a bow tie. Also, my daughter keeps me from wearing them to church, as she absolutely loves to pull them apart. I'm not good enough that I can tie one without looking yet as I can with a necktie.

I disagree with the above comment about some people not being able to wear bow ties. I think that this is mostly in the wearer's head. If you're not comfortable wearing a garment, it won't look right on you. Conversely, if you like a garment, it tends to look better on you. Body language, expression, and the like can all affect how other people perceive your style.

-Dave

Ben

One of the Regulars
There was a guy on the local Craiglist who was offering $10 to someone who could show him how to tie a bow tie. I sent him some instructions via e-mail, and pointed him to some links mentioned in this thread, I think.

I didn't ask for any money though. I thought it was interesting someone wanted to know.

Just be careful where you wear the bow tie, though, so that people don't think you're the bouncer.

Ben said:
Just be careful where you wear the bow tie, though, so that people don't think you're the bouncer.

Que? [huh]

Bows are right for any occasion one would wear a regular tie, so long as the tie is appropriately selected and coordinated. Wear them with confidence & baseless stereotypes be damned!

Ben

One of the Regulars
I meant that more as a joke. I've seen a lot of doormen at upscale bars and clubs wearing bow ties, and I can only think that is so the ruffians can't grab hold of their tie in a confrontation.

Ben said:
I meant that more as a joke. I've seen a lot of doormen at upscale bars and clubs wearing bow ties, and I can only think that is so the ruffians can't grab hold of their tie in a confrontation.

Now I have this picture of Jesse Ventura as a bouncer wearing a cheap rental and a pre-tied bow. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy