Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowler vs Homburg

I have never seen Edward VII wear a Homburg with a brush. This is just another style hat he brought back to England (in this case from Austria). I have seen photos of him wearing this style hat but didn't know the background until I came across this Anton Pichler tribute.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
In the picture you posted of His Majesty in the Pichler hat, there is something sticking up behind the crown, which I took for a brush. Do you have any idea what it might be? Is it hutschmuck? Or is it some object from the background unrelated to the hat?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Andrew

Yes that is a brush but it's not a Homburg hat (it does have some of same elements). It's a dark green curved brim Velour with a medium height tappered crown. Also looks to have a back bow where the brush attaches. This is very high end Austrian Trachten style hat.

This is Edward VII wearing a Homburg hat which he brought from Homburg vor der Höhe, Germany.

edwardVII.jpg

I do I find or search for a bowler with the up curved brim like the hat pictured

Assuming your question is "How do I find...", do an eBay search for vintage or antique derby and/or bowler and hunt through what you find for the style you prefer. It won't be a ton of listings. Narrowing the search further would likely not focus the styles any further.

Joe Ojeda

New in Town
Hi, I'm new to this site, my name is Joe, about 15 years ago I bought a John B. Stetson
Panama Pacific bowler MCMXV Imprinted on the liner and on the sweat band, also has
tags that read Philadelphia, one reads B703998 and one reads 7381. Sweat band has
Younker Brothers Des Moines imprinted on it. I searched the internet and have not found much information on this hat or value. Any information would be helpful. I have attached a few photo's, hopefully this will help, Thank you Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,362
  • IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,337
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,295
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,306
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,310
  • IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,359
  • IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,341
Hi, I'm new to this site, my name is Joe, about 15 years ago I bought a John B. Stetson
Panama Pacific bowler MCMXV Imprinted on the liner and on the sweat band, also has
tags that read Philadelphia, one reads B703998 and one reads 7381. Sweat band has
Younker Brothers Des Moines imprinted on it. I searched the internet and have not found much information on this hat or value. Any information would be helpful. I have attached a few photo's, hopefully this will help, Thank you Joe

I’m far from an expert on these hats. It is an old Exposition Medal Stetson derby/bowler and it looks to be in good overall shape; however, the sweatband looks to be deteriorating in one of the photos. This style of hat has a dedicated following, but they are relatively small in comparison to those who want soft felt hats. You can often find derbys in great condition for a fraction of the price that a comparable fedora or homburg would sell for. I regularly see them in the $40-100 range. Size also makes a big difference in price: a hat that sells for $25 in size 6 5/8 might sell for $225 in size 7 5/8. There are paper labels on the felt covered by the leather sweatband, as well as numbers stamped on the reverse side of the leather. These labels are useful for dating etc., but I don’t know if your sweatband and stitching is in good enough condition to tolerate the manipulation. These old sweatbands sometimes remain surpringly supple, but depending on how it was stored, treated, etc. it might have deteriorated where an attempt to see behind it could destroy it.

I hope that some of our more knowledgeable members can give you more specific information.

Your hat is from the 1920's Exposition series & the grade is Excellent Quality. With each Exposition the Exposition coins were changed & thus the logo embossing was changed. There is a complete chart of the Exposition yrs posted here on the FL.

I have a 1920's Exposition Homburg Lot #4694 in Excellent Quality grade. I would not sell it for the prices suggested about, but you should contact Justin @splintercellz as he would be one of the true experts concerning these hats.

IMG_6797.JPG

IMG_6723.JPG

IMG_6725.JPG

IMG_6779.JPG

IMG_6783.JPG

IMG_6762.JPG

IMG_6761.JPG

IMG_6785.JPG

Joe Ojeda

New in Town
Your hat is from the 1920's Exposition series & the grade is Excellent Quality. With each Exposition the Exposition coins were changed & thus the logo embossing was changed. There is a complete chart of the Exposition yrs posted here on the FL.

I have a 1920's Exposition Homburg Lot #4694 in Excellent Quality grade. I would not sell it for the prices suggested about, but you should contact Justin @splintercellz as he would be one of the true experts concerning these hats.

View attachment 214104

View attachment 214105

View attachment 214098

View attachment 214101

View attachment 214102

View attachment 214100

View attachment 214099

View attachment 214103
Hurricane

View attachment 214104

View attachment 214105

View attachment 214098

View attachment 214101

View attachment 214102

View attachment 214100

View attachment 214099

View attachment 214103
HurricaneJack, Thank you for the information, derby has been stored in a dry, smoke free environment, I measured the inside of hat, 7 3/4 by 6 1/4, sweat band is very supple for it’s age, I will eventually sell this hat once I learn it’s value, Thank you for your input, Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21