Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bra question

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
http://mybabyjo.com/under/tapshorts_lg.jpg

I was wondering about this bra. What is it called to be exact? Where can I find one? And... Does it hold things up?
I have a big problem with strapless bras when i'm wearing a top that requires one because I feel like they dont hold me up. I'm a 36 D.. I've tried a few types of bras and they just dont work out for me... I always have to adjust them and push them up. I've tried the halter bra but, it hurts my neck. So, i usually end up wearing a regular bra with a cardigan over it...
Thank you ladies!

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Hmm... I believe its called a long line bra (?... I could be wrong). I've tried on that style of garment at the store before, and it never seemed to hold up well for me-- same with other strapless styles. I'm a fellow 36D, so I feel your pain... I haven't owned anything strapless since my freshman year of high school, when I was a 36B and able to find a managable strapless. And I can't bring myself to wear my bra straps out on display like lots of girls do nowadays! I guess I've given up on wearing strapless/teeny straps completely for now. [huh] I hope someone has a solution!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That's called a long line bra (a similar style is known as a Merry Widow.) These are great--pretty much the only strapless undergarment I will wear. Because they go to the hip, they don't slide around/down and they are quite supportive. As an added bonus, they also nip in your waist. :)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't like visible bra straps either

Yes, way better than a strapless bra but somehow I still try to limit my arm lifting. lol Although I realize I'm playing it too too safe. My favorite is from Maidenform of all places but of course it is discontinued.
By the way, the cheerleaders for an Atlanta professional sports team wore the Frederick's version of the longline bra as their costume top, with sequins and beads sewn on. Very becoming and apparently did the job even with the back cut much lower (backless) in Frederick of Hollywood's particular style. I won't post the link as it looks like they are discontinuing that style to introduce a new one, and the site is pretty sexy, although not too revealing, and so not allowed here. It is on sale for about $9 if they have your size, anyway.
Here are some clear straps, just in case. I love these. http://www.conspicuouschick.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=295

pretty faythe

One Too Many
bra strap alternatives

ooo...ya'll know what I saw today? So totally not vintage, but totally works for us big busted gals. They are making bras with the normal materals in the front and the backs and straps are made out of the clear stuff. Okay, I didnt see any in the double cup sized, I wasnt at a real department store or anything, it was a clothing store called Rainbow. And I know with some bras you can remove the straps and buy the clear straps to replase your existing straps with so that your bra straps are not showing.

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
That's called a long line bra (a similar style is known as a Merry Widow.) These are great--pretty much the only strapless undergarment I will wear. Because they go to the hip, they don't slide around/down and they are quite supportive. As an added bonus, they also nip in your waist. :)

Thats what i thought it was called. For some reason i was thinking that only a long line bra had straps. I'll have to get one. Do you think i should go down a size?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
positivelypinup said:
Thats what i thought it was called. For some reason i was thinking that only a long line bra had straps. I'll have to get one. Do you think i should go down a size?

I wear my regular size in this style of bra. Mine are all vintage and very low-backed, so they work under most outfits. :)

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
positively pinup,

i'm formerly a 36G (got a reduction last summer, and now i'm the same size as you!) and when i wore strapless it HAD to be a longline. they were pretty supportive for me, even over the course of several hours. i would really recommend going to a department store and trying on a million size combos to see what works for you. for some reason, i had to go up several band sizes, and down 3 cup sizes to get one that fit properly! i have no idea why the discrepancy, or if it's like that for everyone. i haven't worn one since i've been smaller, so i can't say how the sizing would be for me now.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Long lines are awesome :)
But all the ones I find are too short in the waist for me :rage:
I found the style my mother use to wear and drafted a pattern from that (elongating the torso by about 2 inches) Ill let yall know how that goes.

Bra talk is fun :)

LD

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
That looks like a Goddess bra to me. You can get them from Orchard corset site or from their eBay, and probably other places too. I can't wait until I have something worth supporting, then I will be getting me some Goddesses!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
positivelypinup, as several other gals have noted, you're looking for a longline or merry widow. i would suggest going to a nice lingerie store (NOT Victoria's Secret or Frederick's) or maybe an upscale dept store and getting a fitting. look for the oldest lady you can find there to do your fitting - they know how these things are supposed to work and you'll get a better fitting that way.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
KittyT said:
..look for the oldest lady you can find there to do your fitting - they know how these things are supposed to work and you'll get a better fitting that way.

lol
Truer words were never said :)

LD

Meggan_Lane

Familiar Face
I agree...

long line bras are great.
especially for us that are large busted.

I always have had a big bra fitting problem until recently.
I found that I didn't truly know my size.
I also found that bullet bras are perfect for me especially long line.

One huge tip for you in sizing is to definitely make sure the band size is snug when on the loosest setting when purchased! This makes it so when the item stretches out over time you can clasp it on the tighter setting, therefore you can keep it longer!

Try ebay, I saw that same bra in a D within the last week.

I buy bullet bras off ebay...tons for our size...and have had great luck.

Hope this helps!

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
ShooShooBaby said:
positively pinup,
i would really recommend going to a department store and trying on a million size combos to see what works for you. for some reason, i had to go up several band sizes, and down 3 cup sizes to get one that fit properly! i have no idea why the discrepancy, or if it's like that for everyone.

Hmm, maybe that's why I couldn't find one in the store that worked for me-- I only tried on a couple in my size range. Now I'll have to go try on all sorts of crazy sizes and see if I can find one that fits. Thanks for the heads up ShooShooBaby!

Martina

One of the Regulars
HELP with the Clear Bra Straps!!!!!!

I think this is the number one greatest thing that I have ever seen! I am also one of you who can't do strapless bras! I've tried the longline (I'm a 40D) and no no no way! I was at a wedding dancing and with every step I worried that I would flash someone and I ended up by dancing with my hands over the tops of my breasts all night :(
Not a good look, nor very comfortable!

SO I tried to order those clear straps from the website and when I get to the end part, where you order, I get HTML markup language!! I can't order them :eusa_doh: Does anyone have any suggestions?
Am I doing something wrong? I signed up, logged in, etd...

BegintheBeguine said:
Yes, way better than a strapless bra but somehow I still try to limit my arm lifting. lol Although I realize I'm playing it too too safe. My favorite is from Maidenform of all places but of course it is discontinued.
By the way, the cheerleaders for an Atlanta professional sports team wore the Frederick's version of the longline bra as their costume top, with sequins and beads sewn on. Very becoming and apparently did the job even with the back cut much lower (backless) in Frederick of Hollywood's particular style. I won't post the link as it looks like they are discontinuing that style to introduce a new one, and the site is pretty sexy, although not too revealing, and so not allowed here. It is on sale for about $9 if they have your size, anyway.
Here are some clear straps, just in case. I love these. http://www.conspicuouschick.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=295

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL