Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Braces without Waistcoat

Cobden

Practically Family
But they don't consider the shirt underneath to be underwear? So braces are underwear that go on the outside.

I feel like Superman.

Basically, yes. I think it goes back to the days when braces were a) usually fairly ugly and b) used to hold up underwear via loops (so you're underwear would be exposed when you're in shirtsleeves with braces)

JimWagner

Practically Family
Basically, yes. I think it goes back to the days when braces were a) usually fairly ugly and b) used to hold up underwear via loops (so you're underwear would be exposed when you're in shirtsleeves with braces)

And so, hip-hop fashion is actually vintage? Who knew? :eeek:*yucky*

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Personally I fall into the category of only wearing braces when I'm wearing a waistcoat and otherwise wearing a belt or trousers with waist adjusters. However, because I couldn't care less what rude strangers may say or think of me I may wear exposed braces in the future.

I do think it's perfectly acceptable to have braces exposed and has been since the '40s judging by films. However, they should be covered up whenever one's shirt should be covered up - for example at formal events, in Parliament, job interviews, during a wedding ceremony etc. The reason in Britain some traditionalists see them as underwear dates back to Victorian times and the fact that Britain is more temperate than parts of the US so it is possible to keep one's jacket on without suffering from heat stroke.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I suppose if it works for Captain Jack Harkness
1218465395323_f1.jpg

And Doctor Who #11...
matt-smith-200709-480.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
In regard to hot weather... I am much more likely to wear a waistcoat without a jacket than vice versa.
39910_149282418421171_100000182403412_492691_6344262_n.jpg

That said, I think that braces break the open space of the shirt very nicely, and improve the look.
IMG_9031.jpg

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Personally, I've always thought the ends of braces, either button or the dreaded clip-ons, looked a bit odd. Broad suspenders like this guy: http://static.igossip.com/photos/si...e_sequel_for_wall_street_movie_main_10567.jpg
...Just look a bit precocious and obnoxious in my view. I don't mind suspenders over a shirt, so long as they're not too flamboyant or 'themed.' Drakes of london's narrow braces look nice, as do the styles offered at juke-jive.de

RP

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I don't mind suspenders over a shirt, so long as they're not too flamboyant or 'themed.'
The movie 'Wall Street' ushered in nearly a decade of men looking for any excuse to remove their jackets in order to show off their suspenders/braces. Most of these gents had a hard enough time matching tie/suit/shirt so the addition of a fourth component usually spelled disaster.

wallstreet460.jpg

BTW, Michael Douglas' severely sloped shoulders necessitated shoulder pads be sewn into his shirts lest the suspenders slip off.

Wall-Street_Michael-Douglas_Gekko-shirt_cigerette.bmp-1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
The Doctor's clip-ons are hideous. He is improving, though - the Christmas Special this year definitely had him in a real bow tie, not some dressing up, pre-tied nonsense. I may be wrong, but I'm fairly sure from memory that Jack's braces are button on.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
The Doctor's clip-ons are hideous. He is improving, though - the Christmas Special this year definitely had him in a real bow tie, not some dressing up, pre-tied nonsense. I may be wrong, but I'm fairly sure from memory that Jack's braces are button on.

You are correct. My apologies to Captain Jack. In fact he is to be congratulated for wearing braces AND a belt

tumblr_kon8folHt21qzirzqo1_500.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many
Evidently braces are a serious threat to National Security.
I had a short plane trip (out on Wednesday and back on Thursday), and both times the metal adjuster buckles set off the detector requiring a full-body pat-down from a friendly TSA representative. Not the old-fashioned wand that would beep to indicate where the metal was, but the full, intimate touchy-feely treatment.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Evidently braces are a serious threat to National Security.
I had a short plane trip (out on Wednesday and back on Thursday), and both times the metal adjuster buckles set off the detector requiring a full-body pat-down from a friendly TSA representative. Not the old-fashioned wand that would beep to indicate where the metal was, but the full, intimate touchy-feely treatment.

Sock garters, too. I forgot to take them off the last time I went through Detroit and they set it off. I found out I can take my braces off without taking off my waistcoat, though. For speed's sake, I can't put them back on without taking the waistcoat off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart