Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brad pitt seven years in tibet headwear

Gunga Din

New in Town
7year28h_8x10.jpg

how does one find this type of headwear. i have the anorak. just need the rest.

thanks

Attachments

• 7year28h_8x10.jpg
    7year28h_8x10.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 15,478

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I was in Tibet last summer, but never saw anything like that. Even the monks were wearing hats with brims, to keep the sun off.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Two Americans in anoraks, originated in Greenland and a fedora (probably American or European). Maybe Pitt's hat is the only Tibetan item in the picture, but that doesn't really look Tibetan either. Most likely it was made somewhere in the U.S.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Well they are supposed to be Germans/Austrians.
Pitt played Heinrich Harrer.

Here BTW the real Harrer in Tibet:

17953_harrer5.jpg

Source: ard.de

And Harrer with a proper Fedora. One of the Tibetans seems to sport a nice velour:

image.jpg

Source: sueddeutsche.de

Last edited:

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Must agree with Blackthorn ( some nice snaps by the way )--I've been in Tibet a couple of times and also Ladakh ("Little Tibet") and Sikkim--I have never, ever, seen anyone wearing a weird little turban thingy like that. I'm also of the opinion that Gunga Din is not entirely serious in his quest for this headgear...if, however, he is he should be warned Brad can get away with quite a bit more than the ordinary chap.....

Last edited:

hatflick1

Practically Family
Separate, unrelated note.
I once went on a movie hat chase, trying to
track down this khaki cap John Malkovich wore
in Empire Of The Sun. (Christian Bale is wearing
it in the photo.)
http://www.boyactors.org.uk/movie.php?ref=5
It is a high crowned, long billed cap that that laces in the
back making it adjustable. Never located one. But the
producer of the film who I met, long story, told me that
American flyers wore a hat like it in the China theater, and
he had one made custom to recreate the uniform.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm also of the opinion that Gunga Din is not entirely serious in his quest for this headgear...

Why shouldn't he be serious? A really great thing about TFL is our diversity. You meet people here with all kinds of "weird" hat preferences. Fedoras, westerns, top-hats, trachten hüte, bowlers, caps, homburgs - high and low crowns - with and without taper - stingy as well as extreme broad brims - even fez and campaign hats are represented here. Personally I would wear Mr. Pitt's head-wear long before I even would consider trying on a campaign hat ... probably about two or three incarnations ;)

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
Why shouldn't he be serious? A really great thing about TFL is our diversity. You meet people here with all kinds of "weird" hat preferences. Fedoras, westerns, top-hats, trachten hüte, bowlers, caps, homburgs - high and low crowns - with and without taper - stingy as well as extreme broad brims - even fez and campaign hats are represented here. Personally I would wear Mr. Pitt's head-wear long before I even would consider trying on a campaign hat ... probably about two or three incarnations ;)

So there are a group of fez wearers here? Cool, maybe I'll model my late grandpa's Shriners one... Dude was both a Mason and Shriner for like 60 years. I just don't know if it would be appropriate to model it that way, or if I should just snap some pics.

Gunga Din

New in Town
i've looked and looked and it seems to be some type of head wear http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagelmust and a balaclava

i'm not sure if these items are period correct

also on the anorak. same thing. i've owned several and some very close to each actor.

also, on close up shots, anorak seems wool. i would have guessed oil cloth. or some other water shed cloth.

Renault

One Too Many
Gunga Din! Google "how to wrap a Cheche" ( btw pronounced like "shesh") . A Cheche was a standard issue item to legionnaires In North Africa. I think I still have a 1930's issue Legion Cheche boxed away somewhere in all this useless stuff I own.

tuco1963

One of the Regulars

hell yes dane i agree and i also agree with dave from page one if i could remember what he said
but never the less i agree hell yes dave

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
hell yes dane i agree and i also agree with dave from page one if i could remember what he said
but never the less i agree hell yes dave

no dave i just went back and checked
i dont agree with you i just had a question?
was that the dali lama in a akubra cattleman?
if so HELL YEAH DALI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn