Breaking in a Horween Schott Jacket P613S

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by MichaelKristy, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Monitor

Monitor

Got one on the way. Single back panel back, not counting kidney panel. And yeah, ton of money. Lot more than the CXL Schott which is a great balance of quality and looks for that kinda $, regardless of it not being "custom" made. Kinda funny, since not a single maker we talk about actually makes a bespoke jacket. Since they don't have the jacket you are going to pay for already made, it shouldn't really cost anything extra. They're going to make it anyway and it won't actually deviate from the pattern anyway. Adding or removing an inch here and there hardly qualifies as a bespoke piece.

Hh121 likes this.
  2. John D Maccarter

John D Maccarter Practically Family

Yea, you should have kept

3. John D Maccarter

Did you order one?

Monitor likes this.
  4. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

I get where you’re coming from here, but adding or subtracting an inch here or there absolutely makes or breaks a great jacket. Most of the handwringing we see on this site is from members who have a jacket that is off by no more than an inch or so in terms of length of sleeves or body. I’ve been there myself and I know that it doesn’t take much for one to say that the jacket is just a little too short.

Monitor and Carlos840 like this.
  5. Bulldozer

Bulldozer One of the Regulars

Trust me, this jacket is 8 lbs. I own one at 8.4 lbs.

Also, I really don't get this advice to intentionally wet the leather. Just wear the damn thing. That is enough.

6. John D Maccarter

You aint lying bro, i think schott would do better if they used pictures sent in by customers for there website!

7. MichaelKristy

MichaelKristy New in Town

Heavy enough to feel after a while either way! It's a tank.

8. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

Beautiful jacket there! Welcome to FL and may your wallet survive.

I have worn jackets similar to this out in the rain and then until they are dry. Just like a good pair of boots, it works, and is worth the effort.

navetsea likes this.
  9. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

That is certainly true and at the end of the day there is no substitute for wearing the jacket and wearing it often. In my experience though the water helps because it accelerates the break in and helps to bring out the grain in the leather. Rather than spray the jacket down I usually like to go for a walk in the rain, did just that yesterday in my LW Ryder.

JMax, navetsea, Carlos840 and 2 others like this.
  10. Hh121

Hh121 One Too Many

I like my jacket look new or remain relatively new (like after half year use), and I don't want have my jacket fully break in.

11. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

I'll believe it when i see it...
    I've weighted enough leather jackets to know that 8lb doesn't come up every day, that's more than my comp weight Vanson Chopper, and i refuse to believe a Schott will be heavier than that until i see it with my eyes....

Why water? Just speed, all it does is mold the leather to your body faster and get the grain to pop out faster.
    You still need to wear the jacket for it to have any effect, it just speeds things up a little.
    Have you never worn a leather jackets in the rain?

Admittedly if you only have 1 leather jacket spraying it with water might be overkill, just wear it everyday and in a couple months it should be broken in.
    Once you have 10+ jackets and are trying to break in multiple at the same time, every little helps...

navetsea and El Marro like this.
  12. John D Maccarter

I dont understand why? Breaking it in brings the jacket to life; not only does it show the character of the jacket ,it breaks it out of its cage;mold;shell; when when developing that relationship. Thats like getting a new girlfriend and after 3 months you still only know her on a superficial level. Wheres the intimacy in that ?

El Marro likes this.
  13. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

I think it's not that hh121 doesnt want intimacy with his girlfriend, it's more like he doesn't want her to look 10 years older three months into the relationship.

navetsea and El Marro like this.
  14. John D Maccarter

Right. Look new for as long as possible.
    My opinion is you dont get to know or enjoy the jacket fully.
    I understand his approach because if you decide to sell it then it is lightly used

15. Hh121

Hh121 One Too Many

I heard you, but I dont think it is quite proper to compare jacket with human relationship. Yes, I had a relationship nearly 7 years and only regret is that I should end it after 2 years with her.

16. John D Maccarter

I understand your point. I wasn't necessarily comparing the jacket ownership with a human relationship.
    What i did was suggest that just like a human relationship evolves, also your experience with owning a jacket evolves. This is why a jacket becomes "your favorite " .

Hh121 likes this.
  17. Hh121

Hh121 One Too Many

Yes, I certainly understand. It’s been few years since my first real jacket purchase, I found myself very easily lost the initial excitement of the new jacket rather quickly over the time, some jacket last about 1 or 2 years, some jacket only about a month or two. I don’t see that I will love the jacket more as the time goes on, instead it will diminish little by little.

18. Kuro

Kuro A-List Customer

Well, I had a P613S, and it weighed 7.6lbs for me in a size Large. And HH121 purchased it from me, and he is probably the most focused on weight of a jacket than anyone I know (I can understand how it can be used as a metric) and I don't want to put words in his mouth but it weighed for him 7.4 pounds.

I don't think any of us have a calibrated scale, but in this realm a pound does make a difference when you are in the minutia of leather studies and can lead to confusion for those that have the experience to understand the difference.

Carlos840, Bulldozer and Hh121 like this.
  19. Kuro

Kuro A-List Customer

Having owned a P613S myself, you have to wear it to break it in. I just did not love it enough because it was always fighting me, which meant I would not move around in it much and take it off first chance I got. I DID try, I wore it some evenings at home and for some long drives, but it didn't matter much, I would be defeated and take it off and wear something else. It takes something significant to break that leather. Like motorcycle riding, for example, everyday.

Otherwise it was beautiful...

Bulldozer likes this.
  20. Bulldozer

Bulldozer One of the Regulars

I actually do have access to a calibrated scale at work, and 8.4 lbs is the difference between my weight with the jacket and my weight without it. Agree with the user experience you describe. It is bloody substantial, and it takes some wear! I would never intentionally wet it though.