Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breaking in FQHH?

STW

Familiar Face
Hello, new in the lounge. First post.
Thinking about ways to break in my week-old LW Suburban in black horsehide--in addition to just wearing it. Reading around the forum here, I notice that HoosierDaddy mentions misting down his new Aero Bootlegger till it's soaked and then wearing it till dry. This fits with what Stu of LW recommends for HH (riding/wearing it in the rain).

Also saw a mention of "hand-working" horsehide to take some of the stiffness out of it. Any information on how this works would be appreciated, as well as any more info on the wetting method, or any other method you all use.

So far it's softened up a little bit just from wearing it, arms folded, around the den. May have to spread out some towels on the couch and wear the wet jacket for an evening.

Thanks.

JLStorm

Practically Family
This topic has been discussed quite a bit. If you do a few searches you are bound to come up with a lot of info to help you out.

STW

Familiar Face
Thanks for reminding me about the search. I tried to search ealier but was prevented all weekend due to a problem with registration. But I find I'm allowed to search now, and am finding useful information, including some controversy.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
I think the upshot of most of the threads on breaking in heavy FQHH is:

1. Get it wet. Thoroughly wet. I like to go outside in a good rainstorm, but it doesn't matter. Just get it wet.
2. Wear it wet. Wear it until it's dry or almost dry. It will soften it up a lot, and bring out the grain.
3. Don't put it away wet.
4. Don't force it to dry. Keep it away from heat sources.
5. There's no need to treat it with any waterproofing or other leather treatment for a l-o-n-g time. Like years.
6. Wear it hard. Don't baby it, or it'll seem like it may never break in.

That's pretty much it. You can shorten the length of the process, but you will have to put the time in. But that's half the fun!

How about posting some photos of your LW when you get a chance?

LW's HH has a heavier "bulletproof' finish than most. It will take some time...and continued spraying to break it in. Of course...massaging it by hand will also help. Good luck!
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace