Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim-binding tutorial, with pictures, even

Brad Bowers said:
Sorry to hijack your great thread, Tony!:eek:

Brad

Oh heck, don't worry 'bout that. I kinda like seeing this evolve into the everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-brim-edge-binding-but-were-afraid-to-ask thread.

Got any pictures of the stitch awl in action?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
Oh heck, don't worry 'bout that. I kinda like seeing this evolve into the everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-brim-edge-binding-but-were-afraid-to-ask thread.

Whew! Yes, makes it kind of a nice documentary thread. I did like seeing you do that wider ribbon. I haven't tackled anything over 6-lignes yet, but then, I don't have anything wider for binding edges at the moment.

tonyb said:

Never thought to take any photos. It's a two-hands process, which makes it difficult, unless I put my wife to work as a photographer. I can think of a couple of places I could use one hand to take a photo, though. I'll be putting another sweatband in here in the next couple of weeks, so I'll document it then. I'm not in any hurry to do another bound edge.:)

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
I'm not in any hurry to do another bound edge.:)

Brad

I still kinda dread doing sweatbands, but I expect that'll change once I get the hang of using the Singer 107-1 clone. I actually look forward to binding edges, now that it doesn't take me forever just to do a so-so (at best) job of it. I'm finding ribbon work in general to be the most gratifying aspect of hat-making. The ribbon shows, after all.

By the way, do you not have access to a sewing machine? I ask because I was pleasantly surprised to learn how easy it is to stitch down the binding by machine, even for someone like me, who knew next to nothing about such things before I tried it.

I can see how a stitch awl would be the thing to use for sewing in sweatbands, though. Having tried it on a garden-variety free-arm sewing machine, well, I can advise against it. It soon becomes apparent why the Singer 107-1 is so sought after. You really want that cylindrical arm and slanted angle of attack and wide clearance between the arm and the machine body.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
tonyb said:

I just ordered one today from harbor freight.I'm anxious to get it as I don't have access to a machine. [huh]

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thank you tonyb and Art for sharing your knowledge. Thank you to orangehero for resurrecting this zombie thread so I could learn a better way to go about brim binding than how I had been doing.
One of these days I might turn out a lid that almost looks professional if I keep reading stuff like this! :)

rogerstg

A-List Customer
So this was basically done on a flat brim. How about on a flanged brim such that the binding helps keep the snap to the flanging?

I've used the closed loop method to accomplish that. I narrowed the brim on a Campdraft. In the process, I found that after removing the binding, the brim was very floppy and would not snap without stiffening perhaps. I joined the ribbon before reinstalling in order to re establish the snap. I wish I'd have found this thread before that project because I was like a blind squirrel looking for nuts! I succeeded, but it took much longer than anticipated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner