Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim tear repair suggestions????

msm007

One of the Regulars
I am buying a used stetson 30x and the brim has a tear in it, probably from a pin that was ripped out. Anyone have experience with this before? Are there any tried and tested methods of making repairs at home (I live in a country without access to hat repair). Here is a picture of the tear and hat http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1366871&image=410552621&images=410552621,410552641,410552658,410552680,410552696,410552711,410552726,410552741,410552757,410552775,410552791,410552809,410552821&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0 Pictures 7 and 8

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I think that you really only have two options.

1) Live with it and accept it as character

B: trim it off and make a fedora.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Obviously there is the trimming option,but that completely changes the character and style of the hat.The other is glue and sand,felt bonds really easily,why it's used for a lot of crafts,you'd have to use the right glue because it would have to be waterproof and retain a degree of pliability and you'd have to put it on just inside the tear but then it could be sanded.You could even sand off a little dust from elsewhere on the hat and save it to sprinkle onto the repair to disguise it.Looks doable and could be a really satisfying job done right.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Do you like the style of the hat now? If so, I agree with bumphrey. After all, you'll have the trim-it-down option later if you don't like the outcome of a repair/disguise attempt.

Also, it looks like the tear is in a place where pliability won't be a concern, which makes me lean toward the glue-and-sand option even more.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Just something to think about ... It all depends on your own style, of course ... but this would make a terrific wide-brimmed fedora that you would wear for a life-time
Take a look at the conversion thread.
Just a thought ...

Sam

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
This is the hard one,you either go for a superglue type,but waterproof,evo-stik,araldite,etc,use a really small amount and put it on surgically,or a milder pva type that you don't have to be quite so careful with but might not give you the long term bonding.What I would really recommend is buy some felt from your local craft shop,ask their advice on glue aswell,but experiment on your bits of craft felt.You'll get a much better idea of which glue is going to leave the least trace whilst giving the best bond and time spent repairing tears you've put in your craft felt will really pay off when you come to your hat.Oh,and let us all know,who knows when we might have to do it.

msm007

One of the Regulars
This is the hard one,you either go for a superglue type,but waterproof,evo-stik,araldite,etc,use a really small amount and put it on surgically,or a milder pva type that you don't have to be quite so careful with but might not give you the long term bonding.What I would really recommend is buy some felt from your local craft shop,ask their advice on glue aswell,but experiment on your bits of craft felt.You'll get a much better idea of which glue is going to leave the least trace whilst giving the best bond and time spent repairing tears you've put in your craft felt will really pay off when you come to your hat.Oh,and let us all know,who knows when we might have to do it.
Good idea, thanks. I will post the results. It will take a while as it has to come through the mail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails