Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

War wounds--Battle Damage and wear and tear on Historical Leather.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Wondering about your opinions and viewpoint on Vintage Sheepskin bomber Jackets mainly, for instance;

The Jacket Im working on right now has been Stored in moth balls for ages and Highly reeks of that sickly Chemical Aroma. Been Airing it out often as I can without leaving it outside days on end for fresh moth eggs. (though I doubt any moths could survive this fleece! Yack!)

A Very hefty ***MIXED BATCH*** style Aero leather B-3 From Wyoming, Definetly worked in by a true Marlboro man, showed straw in the pocket, and also a little Horse-grime on the sleeves which are well worn, most of the finish is rubbed off on the right sleeve. To pay homage to its original wearer in Marlboro country I will probly wear a cowboy hat with it and smoke a Cigar, Either that or It goes with a B-2 hat, with Aviation sunglasses and pipe! *cough* :hat:

The Stench inside could make mustard gas seem humane, Time to use a Special Lanolin oil soap for the inside of the fleece, I Brush and Spray and Then dab with a towel, shocking amounts of dirt and smells get released. :bathbaby:

Still a very solid chunk of hide to this jacket, Large 46! nice! and it defiently has some true life and wear left in it.

Once the fleece airs for a time, the leather is soaked generously in Neatsfoot oil, let soak for a time, then a bit of saddle soap for good measure, get what Grime will come out..When that is dry, its another bath in neatsfoot oil, airing it out and so on, Then I Rubbed in a seriously heavy slab of mink oil and wipe and clean a little more dirt out. By this time I have to be careful, the jacket gets Damp by now, and heavies up the hide..sometimes this can be bad for bringing out fragile spots especially on sleeves with lots of wear or areas suffering Dry rot. It takes time for the oil to dry up once it soaks in.

in the meantime, this fleece completely smelled up my living space and was grimed up to hell, I wondered for a while because Is it better to treat it, or to leave it, Value-wise having heard mixed oppinions about the *originality* or whatever..but It was sorely needed, safe to say its a basket case, got it closed in a box so it dont Stank up the place untill I wear it and air it.

I bought it with the intention of bringing it out of retirement once in a while on cold winter walks, nothing rigorous to the jacket.

So, at least Ive made a dent in time to wear it out this winter, I have to give it a few months to let the oil dry up a little before Its alright to wear lightly, once in a while. Today the expected finally happened, Being soaked in oil and fragile (over 70 years old) It was time to Brush the Insides of the sleeves before spray cleaning them a little now that the leather is ply enough..this is something Ive never done to any other Jackets of mine, This is a risky business. I knew it could damage some thin spots of the leather but I got the sleeves inside out and generously brushed them and aired them out, of course when I put them right again there is a small Tear on the right wrist from brushing, definetly a wear point to the jacket of course, so it was almost inevitable on a jacket this old and worn.

Then cut out a nice small, Rounded Patch, Stitch it up carefully as I can, nothing major but Damn that patch anyway! :mad:

Its only a one inch tear though, Definetly was from being weak and getting a brush, kinda necessary evil in this case.

I wonder if you prefer to leave your jackets on the dry side or dirty side, I mean this Jacket itself is one for me, a real Dumpser Diver special.

So the point;

I guess its all subjectional. Leave it as is, Treat and repair it, Wearing it with Risk of tearing it. Depends on the Condition of the jacket etc.

Slight new wear and tear on a WW2 Jacket that was Definetly there 30,000 feet above Germany..hmm.

are you a preservist of the whole peice itself remaining As-is, even if it has older patches or Repairs.

My Guess is that its nothing to lose sleep over and It could be worse depending, Ive seen some sad cases that are too far beyond salvage, what sort of things happen to WW2 jackets that is NOT acceptable wear.

maybe you have repair stories similar or worse than this.

Attachments

• Aero1.jpg
    Aero1.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 337
  • Aero2.jpg
    Aero2.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 296

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Theres the best Pics I can do last minute, The Light and colour isnt Right naturally.

Put this in your pipe and smoke it.

Better pics when the Hide has dried back to its original patina eventually boys.

The oil Darkened the Elbows and pocket a few Shades under, but Really brought out the nice Redskin Sleeves, collar and back.

Attachments

• Jacket1.jpg
    Jacket1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 258
  • Jacket2.jpg
    Jacket2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 345

Will015

Familiar Face
First repair should be buttons on your shirt:D. As far as the jacket, I'm on the fence on that one. Not sure I know enough about it to comment.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I guess it's down to the old conundrum about restoration: the balance between returning something close to what it was originally was, but honouring what it is now by retaining its essential character. I think if you've got the smell out, stabilised the jacket, and basically got to a wearable condition - and it looks good - what more can you ask?

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Yeah you sound like my dad with that shirt, those buttons just wont stick right. Same with the waist button on my Pants too, Watch out! Anyway its HUMID as HELL right now, Its the closest I have to Air conditioning right.
:eeek:

Ok;

As for the Talon Zipper on this jacket, there are teeth stuck in the pull, and its Toast, despite it being such a nice Zipper...Wondering if I should go with an Eastman Replacement, theres a few on Ebay for a price.

Give me your Verdict on what to do about the zip please, It definetly needs one I think.

Sometimes I cut the rusty Teeth off and leave the tape on and tuck a new zipper under the old tape.

This time I might like to give a Repro Talon a go, and remove the whole zip. (normally When I get a jacket its already on its second or third zipper, this one has the original still on it by the look)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hell I thought he was doing a take on "Taxi Driver" with the glasses and hair cut.

My bad. As to your original question... I'll have to think on that.

Worf

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
haha, The saturday night Special!

You Talkin to me!

oh, and besides the Zipper job..um..thought I should add that I paid a fair coin for the Jacket, It was 400 plus S+H, After duty worked out to just under Five and a quarter..was that alright...Its probly the most Expensive Jacket I own now..er...well the one in my AV was about 475, was priced as more but I was a good customer to the oldschool military antique shop that I used to Frequent, Alas those stores all seem totally extinct now entirely.

Last edited:

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Hmm. I am inclined to agree with Sloan on that one. Its a cool looking jacket with a lot of wear left in it by the look of things.
It brings back memories of that movie Bus Stop starring Marilyn Monroe where the Rodeo guy has a similar B3.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think you did right to treat the leather of your 1941 B-3 with conditioner. As the zip is broken and beyond repair the existing tape should be removed and a NOS Talon zipper professionally installed. You can buy the correct ones from MASH/Vintage Productions for $80.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
It will be a 600 Dollar Jacket if I buy a NOS Talon zzzzip!

My goodness!!!

What do you mean get the zip professionally Installed!!! I AM a pro! I will do a fine job on my own garaunteed! the only thing I Truly need to go all the way Legit is 100% Cotton Thread of Equal Guage and Colour, and the Zip of course.

I will Remove the original Zip intact like you recommended though, and be sure to follow the original Stitch holes as I go.

Never heard of MASH vintage, Will look into it, thanks again! :D

Im pretty handy with a needle and thread, and Not ashamed to admit this as a man. :eek:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
MASH vintage Has a Dead stock of Zippers ehh...:eyebrows:

Wonder where and how they got em, and how many they have in stock too!

It is True you absolutely must have a working Zip for wearing a Jacket like this.

Like I DOOooo have a WW2 Issue Talon Zip lurking.. I need to check out, but the Tape is Brown possibly I think because its from an A-2 of some Kind. Bought it years and years back in the day and it was probly only 40 bucks then, now I see the 164 Dollar one on ebay :O

So 80 is not asking too much I guess!

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
M-39s are in stock!

No other Talon is in stock anymore, I should probly get one or Regret one.

GOOD NEWS though!!! The brown ones are for the A-2s I presume, I have a B-3 with a pacific theatre khaki coloured zipper.

I worked the Original zipper back to working order just now while watching Conan Obrian on Tv, Took an hour or so! Its missing a chunk of teeth and the bottom stop, but the Lead is still there and I can get it zipped up now!!! WOWWWWwwww This was a tough little job!

There were 3 Teeth still Jammed in the pull where it was stopped Right at the bottom where it finally gave up the ghost on the original Wearer. I had to Lodge a slot-head Screwdriver into the pull, and Wedge it apart a bit to pry out the Teeth..sounds Easy right..yeah...not so much a Hamfisters Job.

Then Lightly sanded and oiled it up, Made sure the Pull was Ok and not warped or loose, had to bend it back into shape a little with the old Needlenose, and voila, zzzzippp!!!

Just a pain in the ass at the bottom where it Mayyy need a stop of some type to keep it from busting loose.

zip doesnt seem that worn actually. I will keep it as-is for now untill It breaks down again, in the meantime I gotta save my pennies for the MASH production NOS zip.

But I pat myself one and celebrate pride in my problem solving injing-nooty.

Thanks Andrew!

P.s. The Jacket doesnt smell bad enough to make me yack anymore, Thats a good thing eh!

Gettin there...

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
On closer Inspection, the Talon Zip on the B-3 has BROWN Tape.

So I could use the one I have already, but The only bad spot of the Zip is the bottom stop is missing where the lead slides into, and a few Teeth, other than that someone did a Rather fine Job installing it, and would be a shame to replace at this point I think. STILL, should save up and buy some Spare NOS talon zips knowing my Collecting Tendancies.

Anyone got any tips on Fixing the Zipper at the bottom..[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy