Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bring back the clotheslines!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We use a clothesline at home. Love it. We have an indoor porch area in our apartment where we've strung a few lines up. Works well and it's protected from blowing debris. Best of both worlds!

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Growing up we mainly had a clothes line. It was'nt until I was an adult till we had a dryer. The main problem we faced was trying to keep track of the clothes pins. They always for some unknown reason would disappear. We would take our chances sometimes and still hang clothing on the out door line with out pining them the heavy item mostly stayed put. Plus It was so hard drying clothing in the winter. We had to wait at least three days for the clothes to dry in the winter since we had to dry everything in doors. I do have a small clothes line over the bath. I switch on the box fan to dry items quicker. Were I live now there is no room for an out door clothes line. I also use a wooden drying rack. And I do the wash at the landurymat where I use the dryer on my non-vintage items. I like the clothes line more.

Last edited:

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Growing up we mainly had a cloths line. It was'nt until I was an adult till we had a dryer. The main problem we faced was trying to keep track of the cloth pins. They always for some unknown reason would disappear.......

We had that problem too! I could never work out how the blue pegs would always disappear. One day I saw a Bower Bird sitting on a small table (where we keep the pegs) methodically picking each peg out of the basket & throwing the ones he didn't want on the floor, when he found one he flew away.
This isn't my photo, but it will give you an idea of what the Bower's nest looks like - lot's of blue!
satin_bowerbird.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Another clothes line user here. Actually it's not a clothes line as was, nowadays it's called a rotary airer, and it looks like this:
http://www.thehomelaundrycompany.co...ry-washing-line-with-multi-height-adjustment/ So although not technically that of yesteryear, it still does the same job and for those neighbours who think washing lines lower the tone, it folds up and is stored away after use.
There are two modern kitchen gizmos that we refuse to have, the dishwasher, there's only two of us for goodness sake, and the clothes drier. When the weather is inclement we use a drying rack, previously known as a clothes horse. It used to be a zig zag, wooden drying rack, but it comes in a variety of shapes these days. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_4anwglas4_e
You can't beat the freshness of air dried bed sheets, and we have four cats that will concur with that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland