Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bristle Brushes

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I remember now why I stopped using bristle brushes so long ago.
STATIC!! lol
I've been spraying the brush with hairspray to stop the static when I brush, but it kinda ways my hair down a bit. Does anyone else have a static problem with bristle brushes and what do you do to combat it.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Ooh, me too! I just purchased a bristle brush after hearing so many good things about them, and found myself looking like Gene Wilder (Jean Wilder?!) on a bad day! My hair seems to prefer the old plastic bristle paddle brush...[huh]

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd rather have temporary static than permanent damage from plastic bristles!
I actually don't get much static from my brush, maybe because I don't overclean my hair. I only wash my hair about once every three days, so it has a bit more moisture in it. My haturally dry hair can't take washing more often than that.
You can also try a fine mist of water on your hair before you begin brushing...

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
I used to have a terrible time with static and my hair. I've changed climates and it is no longer a problem, but I was not above rubbing my head with a dryer sheet. :D

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:

Me too! bristle brushes are really the best (along with wood/bamboo hair brushes, like the one BodyShop sells)

You can try to spray the bristle hair brush with a little hairspray, and see how it works for you.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
While all my hairbrushes are made of bristle ( it's best for the hair) i also have one quill brush that i bought in The Body Shop, it's made of beech wood and I really love it!!! - "It distributes hair natural oils while massaging your scalp" - It comes in 2 sizes a small for the handbag and a larger for the bathroom. :)
You might give this hairbrush a try. :)

lg_quill_brush.jpg

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
I actually don't get much static from my brush, maybe because I don't overclean my hair. I only wash my hair about once every three days, so it has a bit more moisture in it. My haturally dry hair can't take washing more often than that.
You can also try a fine mist of water on your hair before you begin brushing...

Funnily enough, the plastic-bristled paddle brush has improved my hair a lot! I have rather thick hair, and used a detangling comb on it for decades, with the end result of loads of breakage and ripping hair out from the roots from all of the knotting after a wash. It would take me about 15 minutes to get through it! And frizzies like you'd not believe. With that paddle brush (a cheapie included in a hair dryer set, no less) I'm through it in 30 seconds, no tangles, no breakage or frizz. I wash about every 6 days or so with a dry shampoo or two in between, and it stays smooth.
I was hoping that the bristle brush would redistribute the oils when the set's beginning to get naff, but actually it seems to just skim over my hair. I may pop into the Body Shop and have a look at the one you posted, Hadley H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot