Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRITISH Belt-Back Suits and Sports Jackets

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
$T2eC16NHJHIE9nyseGEYBRNh1o34YQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16hHJGwE9n)yVTwvBRNhz-MzF!~~60_57.JPG

It sold for £88

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
these are from Kay's catalogue. Kay's was pretty much the British equivalent of Sears. nearly every working class household in Britain would have
had a copy of either Kay's or Grattan's catalogues.

1937:
Kays_1937_zps755f944f.jpg

Kays_1937_text_zps61e36e4c.png

1940:
Kays_1940_zpsd63fa235.jpg

Kay_1940_text_zps8b024fa9.png

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The father and son combination is great. I wasn't sure, but does the caption say that the boy's jacket has a 'sports back'?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I noticed there are no catalogues for 1925/26. I was rather hoping to see the Kays catalogue interpretation of Oxford Bags.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Another example from Kays catalogue for 1930:

Although the illustration doesn't show it, this jacket was available with a belted back and patch pockets:
1930_zpse0611ebb.jpg

1940sFreddie

Familiar Face
Hello this is my first post on the site. I thought id share one of my British made back-belted suits from my collection. The suit is a black pinstripe made by N.Berg of London. Has a single breasted jacket, double breasted waist coat and very wide leg and high waist trousers. late 30s?

photo21_zpsbc09d056.jpg

photo11_zps657c3c5c.jpg

photo31_zpsd533176c.jpg

photo41_zps7bb06d60.jpg

sorry for the picture quality.

Hope to share some more of my collection.

Freddie

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Welcome Freddie.

Very impressive suit!

Yes, I agree - mid to late 1930's.
Pinstripe with belt-back, the "loaded" waistcoat and extremely closely set three front buttons...
not an usual suit of the period, but a flashy suit with dramatic extra frills, probably for a young man seeking the right attention.

Please share more of your collection!

Hello this is my first post on the site. I thought id share one of my British made back-belted suits from my collection. The suit is a black pinstripe made by N.Berg of London. Has a single breasted jacket, double breasted waist coat and very wide leg and high waist trousers. late 30s?

photo21_zpsbc09d056.jpg

photo11_zps657c3c5c.jpg

photo31_zpsd533176c.jpg

photo41_zps7bb06d60.jpg

sorry for the picture quality.

Hope to share some more of my collection.

Freddie

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
1940sFreddie, if you've been through this thread you'll know that British belt backs are very rare. that suit is even rarer still. i've never seen anything like it (except some of the suits in 'Brighton Rock')... the very pointed peak lapels, belt back and DB waistcoat are unusual enough; usually Brit belt backs seen in ads are of the notch lapel 'sporty' type. what really sets this one apart is the close set three buttons which seems to hark back to U.S. 'jazz' suits of the early 20s, though the jacket doesn't have the high waist / long skirt that those suits would have had. (some of the suits in Brighton Rock also had 'jazz' styling* though added to a late 40s cut; broad padded shoulders, wide trousers).
i'd love to see a photo of the original owner in it.

* e.g. the slanted pockets of this one:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-their-suits&p=1388965&viewfull=1#post1388965

Last edited:

1940sFreddie

Familiar Face
Hello Chaps thank you for the warm welcome! I also have this back belted suit too. Again black pinstripe but Double breasted jacket. I just love the vertical vents on the back. I am 95% sure its British, but I could be wrong. The trousers have large belt loops though so maybe its late 1940s early 50s?

image_zpsfdccf430.jpg

image_zps308dc20c.jpg

image_zps80aea07c.jpg

image_zpsc460c954.jpg

Freddie

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Freddie, where did you get all those crazy Brit pinstriped Beltbacks? :D

Fantastic suit. Probably British, with the large flapped fob pocket. Is there a chance that it is from the same owner and tailor as the first one?

1940sFreddie

Familiar Face
Freddie, where did you get all those crazy Brit pinstriped Beltbacks? :D

Fantastic suit. Probably British, with the large flapped fob pocket. Is there a chance that it is from the same owner and tailor as the first one?

Thanks guys, the first suit with the DB waist coat I bought from ebay a few years ago was just listed under vintage suit and was about £60. The second I bought from a 40s dealer only recently I fell in love with the back of it, so had to have it. So I would think it unlikely they came from the same person.
But my True love is Montague Burton suits of which Im a bit of a nutter.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm speechless! Now we know where all the belt-backs are!!! The first one is a real wideboy's suit. I agree with HBk's comments about Brighton Rock - that was what came to mind immediately.

Well done and welcome to the FL. I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to seeing you post lot's more from your collection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana