Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Broken-in Feet

I just wore some new shoes out, they chafed a bit. I took them off to see that the back of my socks were wet! A brief amount of walking and my feet have been rubbed red, raw and weepy. I don't think I'll be putting any kind of shoe on my feet for days.

How do you gents like to prepare your footwear? Have you ever been silly enough to find yourself in a similar predicament?

Feraud

Bartender
Wear them for a few minutes around the house until they begin to break in. If you have to wear them for work or an event try those wooly band-aid things they sell.

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
That is why the dress shoes with padding at the back of the heel are best. I got a pair made in Italy which are much more comfortable than some far more expensive ones I've owned.

Big_e

Practically Family
Feraud's idea about the band-aids is great. I haven't had a bad pair of shoes in a long time. When I did used to, I would localize the offending part of the shoe that was rubbing my foot raw. I would then get a set of pliars and using the round outside edge I'd give the offending leather a good rub down. This always worked for me as it softened the leather and made it give way. You may have to rub vigorously for a couple of minutes and it won't harm the shoe.
Ernest

Sometimes you can soften up some parts of a shoe by manipulating the leather. Sporting good stores here carry a couple of blister kit items for hikers that act as protection for damaged skin. One product is called moleskin. It will help you be more comfortable until healed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy