Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brokenhearted breakup songs for gals...

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Holly Golightly (the artist, not the lounger!) has some pretty great mopey angsty break-up-tested songs. Although I guess technically she's repro-retro[huh]. Sort of Faster-Pussycat-Kill-Kill theme music.

My suggestion? Lazer Tag. Seriously. You can work out some serious aggression against He-Who-Wronged without resorting to physical violence.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd go with Patsy Cline for the sheer shmaltz of it, Billie Holiday for the depression and Ella for when things are getting better...

And lots and lots of chocolate helps.

The rat doesn't deserve you!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
My heart is broken too

Dear Tallulah,

I'm in the same situation as you (probably worse), sad but true. For me it's the first time, I thought it was true love and would last forever. He has no heart, and he took mine and threw it in the trash. Part of my cure for broken hearts has been to make mix tapes about it, one is called "Bonjour Tristesse" and the other "sea of tears". Instead of listing 68 songs, I'll take a pick of a few favorites:

"I sold my heart to the junkman" - the Starlets (bitter 60s girl group)
"Love don't love nobody" - Roy Brown (angry 50s R&B)
"Drip drop" - Dion & the Belmonts (teardripping 50s; fun to dance to!)
"I don't love you no more" - the Continental Co-ets (garage; perfect mantra)
All the sad songs from the Magnetic Fields "69 love songs", if you're not allergic to new music. In the same vein, my band A Smile and a Ribbon has released a theme album on the subject called "The Boy I Wish I Never Met", if pop is your cup of tea.

Cry your eyes out, then embrace your anger and strength, and fall in love with yourself. Feel the love between you and your friends, family, and perhaps pet.

Yours Truly,
Rebecca

P.S. Ladies, I love your suggestions! Those songs are ace.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I like 'Goody Goody ' sung by anyone....

But sadly, you cant beat two modern songs....

I will survive by Gloria Gaynor and 'Out there' by Kelis.

Best feeling I ever had was getting up at a party and singing 'These boots were made for walking' my very uncomfortable ex sat on the front row.;)

Chin up. Stiff upper lip and all that and never let them see you cry.:)

betty valentine

New in Town
"I'm Thru with Love" by marilyn monroe, sarah vaughn, or nat king cole (all versions are good)

by Billie Holliday:
"Good Morning Heartache"
"willow weep for me"

"Cry Me a River" by Julie London

by Ella Fitzgerald:
"The Man I Love"-this one gives me hope ...someday he'll come along, the man I love. and he'll be big and strong, the man I love... :)
"Into each life some rain must fall"
"Love for Sale"

by Patsy Cline:
"someday you'll want me to want you"

by Etta James: "all I could do was cry"

"the tennessee waltz" by les paul & mary ford

SO many! but I'll stop there :)
I just went through a major break up as well (6 years, engaged) we broke up and now a year later he is getting married to someone else! music really helps me when I need a good cry.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Usually after a breakup I can't stand the sound of sad music. I kinda broke up with a guy I was in a swing band and since then I haven't been able to listen to swing music, and this was about a year ago. I find music that I listedned to as a kid, such as 90's alternative comforts me because it takes me back to when I was carfree kid.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I went through a pretty crappy breakup myself. I listened to "alone again, naturally" by Gilbert O'Sullivan.
It's possibly the most depressing song ever. My friend took my ipod away because i listened to it on repeat and cried my eyes out.

But it's true...men are like buses, another will be along in 15 minutes. Don't worry!! Keep your chin up and you'll find someone who fits you like a speedo. ;)

JennyLou

Practically Family
Actually I guess listening to sad music can be beneficial. It helps you get all these feelings out and sometimes a good cry helps. It's been so long but everytime I hear Benny Goodman's "Goodbye" or Glenn Miller's "The Nearness of You" I still get tears, I wish it didn't take so long to get over a guy sometimes.

SayCici

Practically Family
It's sort of up-beat but "Breaking Up is Hard To Do" by Neil Sedaka is a good song.

Lonely Teardrops by Jackie Wilson, Mr. Blue by the Fleetwoods, Only Love Van Break a Heart by Gene Pitney, Only the Lonely by Roy Orbison.

But you don't need to be sad!

June

Familiar Face
Keep 'em coming, ladies. I was abruptly and unceremoniously "dumped" a couple of days ago and could use a lyrical pick-me-up. :eek:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Sinatra!!!!!!! "Wee small hours of the morning" and "When no one cares" are tops!

When I'm downtrodden I don't like to be talked or sang out of it, I want to get into it then pick myself up and dust myself off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy