Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown British Cycle Leathers Cafe Racer

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Its been a while since I've had leather in my closet, so I chose to remedy the situation. I picked up a beautiful 60s brown British Cycle Leathers cafe racer. I had a black one last year but it ended up being too large. This ones made of thicker and heavier leather than I've usually seen with these jackets, I think it may be horse. Beautiful grain throughout the jacket. Lining is in perfect shape. Lightning zippers throughout, except for a replacement YKK on the dual main slider, and they all run like butter. No size tag but it seems to be a 42/44. I love the look of these British Cycle Leathers/Brimaco jackets, and they're longer in the body than most other brands, making them more suitable for the taller guy. Made in Canada too.

CIMG3011.jpg

CIMG3018.jpg

CIMG3017.jpg

CIMG3016.jpg

CIMG3014.jpg

CIMG3015.jpg

CIMG3019.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Lovely. They are my favourite racer pattern - almost my favourite leather jacket pattern.

Would you say its 3oz or more?

Last edited:

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
None of the Brimaco / British Cycle Leathers cafe' racers were ever made from horsehide, at least none that I've ever seen. However, they do definitely vary in thickness. Take a look at the front jacket on this rack in our shop. A 3.0 - 3.5 oz. (1.5 - 1.75mm) British Cycle Leathers jacket with an incredible patina. These jackets truly get better with time!!!

Patina1.jpg

www.insurrectionvintage.com
www.insurrection-racing.com

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
To my untrained eye it would seem to be 3 oz. What type of leather are they most likely to be found in?

No expert 3oz maybe 2.5oz, I think is more common. They tend to be softer, lighter jackets like vintage Brooks. I weighed a 42 Brimaco at just over 4 pounds - couldn't be much heavier than 2.5oz at that weight.

Last edited:

jksu

Familiar Face
i have a brown brimaco "fight club" style jacket from the 70s. can't remember the exact weight but it's definitely a thin almost vinyl feeling leather. compared to the thick fqhh of aero and super heavy yet supple cow hide of my fox creek, it's definitely a contrast of materials used for leather jackets.

wouldn't expect much protection from this brimaco on a crash -- then again it's not designed to be such, just a fashion piece.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
i have a brown brimaco "fight club" style jacket from the 70s. can't remember the exact weight but it's definitely a thin almost vinyl feeling leather. compared to the thick fqhh of aero and super heavy yet supple cow hide of my fox creek, it's definitely a contrast of materials used for leather jackets.

wouldn't expect much protection from this brimaco on a crash -- then again it's not designed to be such, just a fashion piece.

Well, they were designed to be worn on bikes, but it was an earlier simpler time. A number of the older brands were thinner leather. I way prefer them to the thicker stuff. But then I don't have any problem with wearing "just a fashion piece" as I don't ride.

Well, they were designed to be worn on bikes, but it was an earlier simpler time. A number of the older brands were thinner leather. I way prefer them to the thicker stuff. But then I don't have any problem with wearing "just a fashion piece" as I don't ride.
When I was 10, just starting out, most guys wore no lid, no boots, no gloves and a "jacket" to look cool - maybe. Cool didn't always = good for ceement. And bikes were slower, as was the pace. Safety was an after thought, if a thought. Today we get the best of both worlds, if you want it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
When I was 10, just starting out, most guys wore no lid, no boots, no gloves and a "jacket" to look cool - maybe. Cool didn't always = good for ceement. And bikes were slower, as was the pace. Safety was an after thought, if a thought. Today we get the best of both worlds, if you want it.

Yes, the changes in notions of safety and appropriate riding are certainly a key factor.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Would you be interested in a trade? I have a black one in great condition. You can see the post I put up here about it:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Leather-jacket-Brown&highlight=british+cycle

Thanks,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, I appreciate the offer but I think I'm going to hold on to this one. Also, the sleeves are probably too short for you, as you say you need at least 26 inches, these are only 25.5. Hope you find what your looking for. BTW, if you do decide to sell your black Brimaco, give me a shout. :)

Novos

One of the Regulars
Nice looking cafe racer! Interesting that these British Cycle Leathers fit long, because the Brimaco's leathers I found to be ridiculously short. A sz 40 I had was less than 23" collar seam to end.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well that's odd. Brimaco cafe racers are known for their long cut. Usually 27-28 inches at the back for a size 42.

Novos

One of the Regulars
It was those D-Pocket biker jackets, not the cafe, but I thought the fit might be similar.

njmaki

New in Town
Hi Jonathan, I appreciate the offer but I think I'm going to hold on to this one. Also, the sleeves are probably too short for you, as you say you need at least 26 inches, these are only 25.5. Hope you find what your looking for. BTW, if you do decide to sell your black Brimaco, give me a shout. :)

I'm ready to sell my black British Cycle leather if your still interested, you can contact me at njmaki@gmail.com, if not I'll probably put it up on ebay soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner