Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown fqhh or brown oil pull fqhh?

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Do you or would you prefer one over the other? I'd love to know. Oil pull or regular fqhh?

After handling the Aero samples of both now for a couple of months I'm unable to decide which to use for a Bootlegger order.

The regular fqhh feels noticeably drier and crisper than the oil pull and creases quite readily (showing and retaining grain wrinkles) compared to the oil pull which doesn't appear to crease at all. The oil pull has a far more relaxed, limp consistency to it and as such a softer hand. It feels like it would be easier to wear 'out of the box' so to speak and as it isn't as crisp or dry it also feels nicer to the touch.

I have a feeling that the oil pull would look far less "battered, older and broken in" than the regular fqhh after a couple of years.
Just can't decide if that pronounced, battered, older look, is what I want.
Oh my, ...the decisions. :D

Ted.

Last edited:
I have an oil pull steer and also an oil pull HH Halfbelt among several FQHH Aero jackets. Actually the oil pull more easily has a worn look to it. Keep in mind that the oil pull can have a tendacy to be somewhat suedy. The FQHH really has a waxy feel to it and breaks-in with a more marbly grainy effect.
The oil pull is easier to wear right out of the box...but the FQHH developes much different charactoristics as it ages.
HD

I have an Aero zip sleeve Bootlegger in brown FQHH on order right now. Can't wait..!!

Last edited:

Windward

Practically Family
Once I received an oil pull leather jacket I was a little disappointed because of the suede appearance - so I send it back and later get a FQHH - I love the shiny / grainy look and glad how nice the FQHH looks with wearing... Good luck!

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
The oil pull fqhh I received was easily as thick as the regular heavy fqhh. Also I don't see any 'suede like' effect at all in the oil pull sample, if anything it has slightly more sheen than the reg. fqhh. Also between the two the oil pull is demonstrably more "waxy feeling" than the reg. fqhh which has a pronounced dry, crisp feel to it. The oil pull has almost a rubbery feel to its surface. (not in a negative sense however).
That said I'm working with two samples of 3 x 4 inches approx.
Anyway it sounds like the consensus is reg. fqhh.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Really love the Bootlegger style. What lining did you opt for Hoosier? The BL with zip sleeves is what I will be ordering as well as it will be used for motorcycling. I really like bi-swing backs but I'm not sure if Aero will put a bi-swing on the BL due to its epaulets (which I think read in a post sometime ago).
I definitely want the epaulets on the BL but a bi-swing is de rigeur for a moto jacket as far as I'm concerned. Wonder if it can be done?

What other specs are you opting for on your BL Hoosier?

l'oreille

New in Town
Regarding the thickness of the hide, here's what Amanda mailed me back in August:

"The oil pull horsehide is a mid weight horsehide, around 3oz, whereas the f/q horsehide is approx 5oz, so yes its definitely more durable and actually this leather develops more character as you break it in than the oil pull horsehide does.."

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Hmmm. I asked for samples of and assumed what I received were the regular heavy weight fqhh. If the oil pull is all midweight than the brown non-pull fqhh sample I received must be mid-weight too because they are definitely the same thickness (however the vintage sample I received was noticeably thinner than these two).
A black fqhh sample I received did seem a bit thicker than the 2 brown hh samples but not altogether that much thicker, maybe that was the heavy fqhh?
Puzzled.

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
Hi Ted - It's a personnel preference, but I would go with FQHH over oil pull every time. As hides go, Aero's brown heavy front quarter horse is the 'Fido's gonads' :)

Really love the Bootlegger style. What lining did you opt for Hoosier? The BL with zip sleeves is what I will be ordering as well as it will be used for motorcycling. I really like bi-swing backs but I'm not sure if Aero will put a bi-swing on the BL due to its epaulets (which I think read in a post sometime ago).
I definitely want the epaulets on the BL but a bi-swing is de rigeur for a moto jacket as far as I'm concerned. Wonder if it can be done?

What other specs are you opting for on your BL Hoosier?

I went with the Alcapa lining..and no bi-swing back. This jacket will be used for streetwear. I have others for riding.
Check out this bootlegger on Mark's pic trail (a VLJ forum member ordered it several years ago)....
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/7487901

HD

Regarding the thickness of the hide, here's what Amanda mailed me back in August:

"The oil pull horsehide is a mid weight horsehide, around 3oz, whereas the f/q horsehide is approx 5oz, so yes its definitely more durable and actually this leather develops more character as you break it in than the oil pull horsehide does.."

I heard the same from Amanda.

slicker63

Familiar Face
Agree with Cooperson... its got to be the FQHH Brn over oil pull every time... its the classic... the oil pull just seems to look better on a military jacket......
Here is a link to a nearly new oil pull recently sold on ebay...looks like a custom half belt Bomber of sorts .... anyway it just seems to give the jacket a military look !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....089194&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Hope the pic helps ...

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
I went with the Alcapa lining..and no bi-swing back. This jacket will be used for streetwear. I have others for riding.
Check out this bootlegger on Mark's pic trail (a VLJ forum member ordered it several years ago)....
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/7487901

HD

Did Amanda give you any idea of how long your custom BL will take at this time Hoosier?
What do you think of all zippered pockets in addition to the zippered sleeves in the BL? (I don't think I've seen a BL with all zippered pockets).
As I mentioned mine will be a riding jacket.

I have also been considering it in full weight black fqhh with silver hardware and satin lining.

Did Amanda give you any idea of how long your custom BL will take at this time Hoosier?
What do you think of all zippered pockets in addition to the zippered sleeves in the BL? (I don't think I've seen a BL with all zippered pockets).
As I mentioned mine will be a riding jacket.

I have also been considering it in full weight black fqhh with silver hardware and satin lining.

Yes..Amanda said normally 10-12 weeks...but they will be shut down two weeks for Christmas. I think that the black/silver hardware/satin lining would look good. However the brown FQHH seems to develope more visable great burnished charactor,IMO. I have both. I would also suggest looking at Aero's 'vintage' FQHH for riding. It is nearly as heavy and softer right out of the box with a grainy appearance..although it doesn't seem to break-in with quite the marbly effect as the regular FQHH. I have MC jackets with all zippered pockets...and without. I prefer not having zips on the pockets..because I rarely find the need to zip them while riding..and they do rake my sleeves when putting my hands in my pockets. I am adding two inside G-1 type snap pockets in this new BootLegger. They are deep..and secure. Were you able to click on my link to view the Zip Sleeve bi-swing back Bootlegger?
HD

Here's a pic of Aero's black FQHH after a few years wear....
100_0415.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy