Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brylcreem

CopperNY

A-List Customer
us shorthairs like it to. :)

i've recently gone back to using Brylcreem.

i wear a medium "regulation" cut, but usually wax it into a flat top look with something like Grant's, Hold Fast, Lay Rite,etc.

but when i just want it to obey, without stiffness, i get out the Brylcreem. love the smell and subtle control.

kindofblue

New in Town
Yesterday, on a whim, I decided to change up my hair.

I decided to go with a classic cut, though I've worn my hair with kind of a messy look for a few years now. I asked the barber for tapered side and back with it longer and fuller on top, so that I can part on the side. I wear a suit and tie every day, so I thought what the hey? I read classic cuts are coming back thanks to Don Draper and George Clooney, so though I've resisted for years afraid of looking outdated in a bad way, and having bad memories of having a "comb over" due to a series of bad haircuts when I was a kid, I decided to give it a try.

After the barber was finished, he recommended Brylcreem. I said, uh, ok, where do I get this stuff and how much is it? He sent me to the drugstore, and a picked up a tube for around $5. I looked at the ingredients, and it looks like pretty simple stuff, so I bought it.

I put just a little bit in my hair, and I love the hold. It leaves hair soft and plyable, but lets you style how you want. I did not get that wet greasy look that I've read about after researching this product, but it did hold nicely, yet left my hair natural feeling.

My one complaint is the scent. I may try it for a few days to see if I acquire a taste for it, but right now, I do not like the scent. I picked up some pomade (some all natural, with little to no oder). I liked the scent much more, but tried it out this morning, and do not like the hold and the way it works in my hair as well.

What to do? I think Brylcreem would be well advised to change the scent (by changing the fragrance on their ingredients list), and markting to a younger generation. I'm 33, and have never liked hair product due to it leaving hair hard, or waxy. Brylcreem is wonderful stuff except for the scent, and if it does not grow on me (do I even want it to grow on me? If it has to grow on me, then others won't like it either), then the scent is enough to deter me from its use. Any other recomendations?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've found out I've been sharing my Brylcreem with my wife :p She uses a bit when she does her hair a certain way to keep things neat.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Damn, I replied to this thread hours ago. Guess it didn't go through...

If you don't like the scent of Brylcreem, I'd suggest go with something like Black and White or Sweet Georgia Brown (purple can.)

They're both a light pomade, similar to Brylcreem... But with better scents. (Vanilla-ish for B&W and Grapes for SGB.)

I purchased both online.

Sweet Georgia Brown from www.thegreaseshop.com and Black and White from some random site.

Sweet Georgia Brown will give you a very high sheen aka "greasy look." If you don't like that, I'd suggest Black and White which will give you a subtle sheen. Not too shiny but not dull either.

Give either or a try. I'm sure you'd be satisfied.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
The smell definitely grows on you,I'm supposing it's the same in the us as in uk,and in my experience it not only grows on you but it becomes strangely addictive,it's a mans smell,like coal tar soap, real beer,wood shavings and leather,a heady mix that knocks any of your new fangled 'after shaves' into a cocked hat,and if the truth were known has the ladies swooning without even realising it,but keep it to yourselves,eh chaps!

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
You know, in all the years I've been doing my hair in some sort of pomp, I've never been able to use Brylcreem, now currently my hair is pretty thin (going the way of none at all) so I'm pretty sure there's no hope in using it now and achieving a little bit of volume/height. It's just so classic, so the appeal is certainly there.

mrbork

New in Town
Alternatives

kindofblue said:
Yesterday, on a whim, I decided to change up my hair.

I decided to go with a classic cut, though I've worn my hair with kind of a messy look for a few years now. I asked the barber for tapered side and back with it longer and fuller on top, so that I can part on the side. I wear a suit and tie every day, so I thought what the hey? I read classic cuts are coming back thanks to Don Draper and George Clooney, so though I've resisted for years afraid of looking outdated in a bad way, and having bad memories of having a "comb over" due to a series of bad haircuts when I was a kid, I decided to give it a try.

After the barber was finished, he recommended Brylcreem. I said, uh, ok, where do I get this stuff and how much is it? He sent me to the drugstore, and a picked up a tube for around $5. I looked at the ingredients, and it looks like pretty simple stuff, so I bought it.

I put just a little bit in my hair, and I love the hold. It leaves hair soft and plyable, but lets you style how you want. I did not get that wet greasy look that I've read about after researching this product, but it did hold nicely, yet left my hair natural feeling.

My one complaint is the scent. I may try it for a few days to see if I acquire a taste for it, but right now, I do not like the scent. I picked up some pomade (some all natural, with little to no oder). I liked the scent much more, but tried it out this morning, and do not like the hold and the way it works in my hair as well.

What to do? I think Brylcreem would be well advised to change the scent (by changing the fragrance on their ingredients list), and markting to a younger generation. I'm 33, and have never liked hair product due to it leaving hair hard, or waxy. Brylcreem is wonderful stuff except for the scent, and if it does not grow on me (do I even want it to grow on me? If it has to grow on me, then others won't like it either), then the scent is enough to deter me from its use. Any other recomendations?

Since Brylcreem's scent is unappealing to you (scent is VERY personal), there are many alternatives. Groom&CLean has sort of a floral/spicy scent, and has the added advantage of being humectant, or water soluble, so it will rinse out easily. If less scent is preferred, try Protein29; similar, stronger hold with a more subtle scent. There's a whole laundry list of pomades; Brylcreem is closer to a lighter weight pomade. All the best with the search for something that works for you.:)

berwynguy

New in Town
Great discovery with hair tonic

I've seen a few posts where guys have recommended Vitalis hair tonic. I tried it awhile back and never really liked it for it's aroma. However, I thought I'd give it another try - it has been awhile. SO, I went to Walgreens and got a bottle. This time I used it in conjuction with brylcreem, and you know, the aroma was OK with me. I first applied my usual 2 big dollups of brylcreem and combed my hair like normal. Then, I poured Vitalis on the wide tooth section of my dressing comb so it would be heavily wet, and ran it thru my already combed hair. I repeated this process maybe about 4 times until my hair was noticeably wet. I spent a little extra time working on the side part. The effect was awesome. I have never achieve such a straight well-defined side part like this, and the hair is remaining far more wet & glossy looking - overall, a very nice effect. I think this combo is a keeper.

:eusa_clap

mrbork

New in Town
Brylcreem+Vitalis=GREAT results!

berwynguy said:
I've seen a few posts where guys have recommended Vitalis hair tonic. I tried it awhile back and never really liked it for it's aroma. However, I thought I'd give it another try - it has been awhile. SO, I went to Walgreens and got a bottle. This time I used it in conjuction with brylcreem, and you know, the aroma was OK with me. I first applied my usual 2 big dollups of brylcreem and combed my hair like normal. Then, I poured Vitalis on the wide tooth section of my dressing comb so it would be heavily wet, and ran it thru my already combed hair. I repeated this process maybe about 4 times until my hair was noticeably wet. I spent a little extra time working on the side part. The effect was awesome. I have never achieve such a straight well-defined side part like this, and the hair is remaining far more wet & glossy looking - overall, a very nice effect. I think this combo is a keeper.

:eusa_clap

I can vouch for this, as well; Vitalis combined with other hairdressings, particularly Brylcreem or Groom&Clean is excellent. It adds a little "oomph" to my grooming regimen. :D

Alex

Practically Family
I bought Brylcreem about a month ago because I knew that it was a classic mens hair dress. At first, the smell was ehh, not the best. But it is strangely addictive in a way and I've grown to like it. It has great shine depending on how much you use (more than a dab for the wet look). Very light hold for me, as I have think wavy hair. I have also used Groom&Clean. Smell is similar to Brylcreem but is stronger. Good for the wet look and light hold. I still want to try some Vitalis as well.

I tried Wildroot recently and I do like it. I have a better review of it on my blog at
http://genericfun.blogspot.com/2011/01/wild-at-heart.html

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I've actually found, in my experience, that if I just use the "little dab" that'll do ya, as it says on the box, it still leaves my hair somewhat "dry" looking, although with a noticeable shine. On special occasions, such as holidays, church, and even going out to my classes or in general, I use probably three times as much, sometimes in addition to my Dax Wave and Groom (great hold, but very sticky feeling on the head. It provides a good shine in it's own right though). I use to use more than a little dab much more often than I do right now, but I'm kind of trying to conserve it, and use it rather sparingly.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
You know even though my screen name is Brylcreem boy, I have never had much success with it and don't like the smell. I tried it again recently when I shed the pomp and went for a classic 40's/50's super straight side part, it still didn't give enough hold for the quiff in front. I have really been enjoying one of 2 combo's lately. 1. Sweet Georgia Brown Purple and some Vitalis- it gives a really shiny/greasy wet look- very reminiscent of the 50's- though it does not wash out with water as suggested(this is not a problem for me). 2. Black and White regular/mixed with Black and White Lite- again very nice shine.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
You know even though my screen name is Brylcreem boy, I have never had much success with it and don't like the smell. I tried it again recently when I shed the pomp and went for a classic 40's/50's super straight side part, it still didn't give enough hold for the quiff in front. I have really been enjoying one of 2 combo's lately. 1. Sweet Georgia Brown Purple and some Vitalis- it gives a really shiny/greasy wet look- very reminiscent of the 50's- though it does not wash out with water as suggested(this is not a problem for me). 2. Black and White regular/mixed with Black and White Lite- again very nice shine.

Who is the person in your avatar? When you say quiff, did you mean you were trying to go for a front "wave" like he has? That's actually a look I tend to do myself quite frequently.

PhantomKnight

New in Town
How can anyone get it to stay in their hair all day?

I tried using it for 6 months a while back and by mid-afternoon it would be all gone. I would use about a palm full too!

My hair is curly and thick, and the weather humid. I do wish to try it again as i don't like having to use Murray's just to maintain a non-frizzy hair look.

Are there tricks to keep it in the hair? Perhaps a sealant like you use on shoes to keep the polish there? Hahahaha. Shall i spray my head with scotchgard?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner