Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BUCKAROO BONANZA! - The Hats that Major Mike Moore Makes

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you for the information. I think that I will be calling off the trip, as family duties and a lack of money to pay for the gas lol will mean that this trip would take quite a toll on me. I think for my first custom hat from the Major, I will go in blind.

That said, I am hoping to attend the medical school in Memphis once I graduate. If that works out for me, I may one day become the Lounge Liason for those wishing for more information about the Major and his business lol.

At any rate, thanks for the suggestion.

Or, you can staff the Lounge emergency room for members who have heart attacks when they see the prices of the hats they like rise out of reach on E Bay.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Not a Hat-just liked the label

5267356915_0fea61288d_b.jpg

I will have to have hat made one of these days....

majormoore

Vendor
I love that liner, wish I had it, but I am pretty sure someone else still own's the rights to it. Maybe I might rework the design a little and add someting else in it.

Major Moore

Neophyte

The slideshow on the Major's website has got me PUMPED for a custom western! After lots and lots and lots of consideration, I'm thinking of a Pale Rider-style hat, felt color "natural"...as for the ribbon, binding and hatband, I've not yet decided. Just gotta determine whether or not a natural-color Pale Rider hat will look good or not lol. Can't wait for Christmas :D!

Neophyte

Watch The Missing if you want to know what that would look like

I think I saw a reference to it somewhere else on the Lounge...the one with Kate Blanchett, right? Thanks so much for the reference! This movie appears to have the added benefit of showing me what the hat in question might look like with stampede strings :).

Last edited:

Neophyte

Alright, here goes. I am the proud owner of a Buckaroo western hat. It's very different from what I had in mind when I arrived at Mike's shop, but as I said in the Western thread, I really can't imagine having left with anything different. This hat is just PERFECT!

I had come prepared to invest in a custom hat that I wouldn't see for week, maybe months. There weren't a lot of hats in the shop that fit me, so it wasn't much help trying things on. Mike helped me figure out why: rather than being a size 7 3/8, I'm actually a 7 1/4 extra long oval, and these westerns don't have a lot of give. While Mike was helping other customers, I was looking around the shop, and I saw a hat in what I suspected was Black Cherry.

This hat had a large open crown, a 4.25'' brim with raw edge, and a simple hatband for decoration. It also had no liner. From trying hats on, I learned that I like the look of a telescope crown a lot more than the open crown of a BotP hat. Mike and his fellow employee, whom I only heard addressed as Rocky (thanks Rocky for all the help!), helped reshape the crown and cut the brim down to 3.5''. After that, he helped me wrestle the hat into a sufficient long oval shape to fit my head. I chose to keep the brim flat all around the hat, but with a slight dip in the front. After some debate, I asked for a 6-ligne bound edge, and it was agreed that black was the best looking color for the ribbon.

After beating the hell out of this hat, it finally succumbed, and up next was to add the liner, and WHAT A BEAUTY! Deep, deep red, with a cool Buckaroo logo in gold. The wide, wide, WIDE sweatband (keep in mind I'm used to Akubras) was awesome as well.

Lastly, I chose to keep the original hatband, and we all agreed that the hatband looked really good with the hat. And, as I ride around a lot on campus, I asked to have some stampede strings installed. To my fortune, there was a pair of cream colored strings that seemed to accentuate the hatband. The stampede strings have already proven to be really useful, although my cats keep jumping me trying to catch them lol!

After all the work to make this hat what is was, all I can say is that I love hat. It looks great, feels great, works great, and feels like it is mine. Thanks so much, everyone at Buckaroo Hatters (and Rusty!)! It was an excellent experience, and I hope to purchase another hat in the future, once I've become more familiar with the western style. Thanks to Mike, Rocky, Fallon, Rusty, and all those on the Lounge who've put up with my incessant questions lol!!!

So, enough talking, how about some pictures!

BuckarooWestern2.jpg

BuckarooWestern3.jpg

BuckarooWestern5.jpg

BuckarooWestern1.jpg

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Well Neo,
Ya done it :) I like your western hat, like it alot !! I have a couple of questions, 1st)- is the hat band a beaded/leatherbraid/horsehair tassell ? 2nd)- are the "stampede strings" braided leather as well? BTW, THIS ones brim size, crown style and hght. looks REALLY GOOD on your shape and size of head !! You need to take and put some taper on the crown of your new beaver to fit your head shape. Remember, light colors get BIGGER optically than dark colors and you have a square head ! Put a center dent /wider front pintch in it and it ought to work JMHO:) But don't do ANYTHING to this one !! IT IS PERFECT on you :) :)

Neophyte

Thanks, Yeps!

Well Neo,
Ya done it :) I like your western hat, like it alot !! I have a couple of questions, 1st)- is the hat band a beaded/leatherbraid/horsehair tassell ? 2nd)- are the "stampede strings" braided leather as well? BTW, THIS ones brim size, crown style and hght. looks REALLY GOOD on your shape and size of head !! You need to take and put some taper on the crown of your new beaver to fit your head shape. Remember, light colors get BIGGER optically than dark colors and you have a square head ! Put a center dent /wider front pintch in it and it ought to work JMHO:) But don't do ANYTHING to this one !! IT IS PERFECT on you :) :)

Thanks for the suggestions and compliments, Monbla :)! I see what you mean with the beaver. The small brim makes the crown look enormous! Even so, it stays off my head and because of the lightweight felt, it feels AMAZING. The felt is smooth as silk as well and super thin. It's really cool. I'm told that it looks very 30's...I think that for now I'll keep it as is (it's shaped so well, I feel I'd only mess it up!). It's got a perfect C-crown with tugboat effect, something I've attempted but never achieved. :D

As for your question: I believe you might be spot-on regarding the hatband. I think the strings are braided horsehair.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL