Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BUCKAROO BONANZA! - The Hats that Major Mike Moore Makes

Duper

Practically Family
Wow, This thread slid back to page 10

I don't think this has been shown here.
A new to me pre-owned Buckaroo crossover from San Diego
Just my current style phase, a mix of fedora, western, outback.
Just missing a bound edge
Western weight, at least 10X. Superb hand,dense yet soft
Off white colour- Ivory?
3-1/8 inch brim Seller said LO but fits like WO
Very nice Mr. Moore, this a prize

Richard

Looks great! Nice blend of purpose and look!

,,,Mike

barrowjh

One Too Many
Deep & Wide, Deep & Wide, . . .

Referring to Buckaroo Hatter's inventory of hat ribbon and western hatbands - wide selection, deep inventory. I visited Covington TN this past Saturday November 22nd -

About a quarter-block off of the square is Buckaroo Hatters (clever disguise, inside is Santa's workshop!).

I came there needing some ribbon upgrades, such as this Borsalino Marque Grande Luxe:

It was beloved by the previous owner(s) and the sweatband had bled through the felt. It needed a new sweatband and it needed a new ribbon, a considerably wider ribbon, to cover that dark ring. It has a 2 1/2 in brim and the felt is absolutely precious. I was hoping for a ribbon that might pull out the mauve color in the felt (I think it is a mauve).

New sweatband - check.

Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about, ribbon colors and widths from that Deep & Wide inventory at Buckaroo!

'nuther look, to cry for:

barrowjh

One Too Many
Deep & Wide, Deep & Wide, . . . take 2

I also just happened to have with me this Stetson 3XB mode edge that needed a new ribbon. Here it is with the previous ribbon:

And, the re-do:

wider ribbon, and a lighter shade, I think a better fit for the hat.

I also brought along this Resistol Beaver 100 - an awesome hat, but I think it is maybe just a bit Too White -

Buckaroo Hatters has an awesome selection of western hatbands, including a couple of tooled leather sweatbands by renowned artist Brad Martin https://www.facebook.com/leather.artist.brad.martin

the signature -

Tidy lace-up finish in the back (these guys are good!)

detail -

last look -

barrowjh

One Too Many
Total Capitulation to the Eye Candy -

On my way to Covington I had found a navy blue 'cavalry' type hat, not sure of the manufacturer, but the liner stated it was 3X Beaver. It was probably a law enforcement hat because there were holes in the front of the crown to hold some sort of badge or medalion. It was stiff, not very pretty, priced $12 and being ignored. I decided to take it with me to Buckaroo Hatters to see if there was anything I could do to bring this thing back to life.

I brushed it, sanded off a layer of felt (helped hide those holes in front) and began looking through all sorts of western hat bands to find something that would help this hat. I got Mike, Rusty, Rocky, and Art Fawcett (he was just passing through) involved in helping me pick the right one.

another tidy lace job in the back -

Last look -

My oh My - amazing what a $100 tooled leather sweatband might do for a $12 hat! Maybe you have to be from Alabama to do something like this, but this wasn't the dumbest thing I did that day.

The 'haul' from my visit to Buckaroo Hatters:

It seems so little to describe it as one sweatband, two ribbons, two leather hatbands - the visit was so much Moore than that.

me, Rusty Hathcock (RBH), Art Fawcett, Mike Moore, and Rocky Jonakin:

The dumbest thing I did that day? Art was wearing a 'beater' in his legacy felt, limestone color, and he pulled it off and pushed it towards me, offering to let me feel that felt. Oh no, I shouldna' done dat! I'm afraid that will eventually hurt me a lot more than the $100 band on the $12 hat hurt me. I commited to return to Buckaroo and make a new hat, probably February, maybe I will make a navy blue hat more deserving of that hat band. Buckaroo has acquired quite a bit of hat making equipment and supplies since my previous visit there and I am impressed with the new hats they are cranking out. I also met Royal Wade Kimes last Saturday, enjoyed meeting him and some friends he brought over to Buckaroo to have hats made. It was an awesome day for me, a visit to Santa's workshop, like a child in a candy store, could not resist the eye candy there.

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
I did have a blast! I was on my feet all day, just looking, watching Mike and Rocky work, looking at the ribbon selection, trying different colors and western hatbands on the hats. I did do a few minutes work on that blue hat to clean it up, beveled the edge, but otherwise the day was spent filling my eyes & ears. For a hat collector, a visit to this place is like being a kid again, in a candy store, can't possibly taste it all - but I enjoyed looking.

Lando

Practically Family
15749971859_5b15b31707_b.jpg

This one came in a while ago but I just never got a photo I liked of me in it. Flat top, pencil rolled brim with the up turn that I'm coming to realize I prefer in most of my hats despite myself, and a great custom leather tooled and painted band. Another great example of skilled and sturdy hat making. Last hat that I bought and probably the last hat for a while. Moving soon and I'm trying to slim my collection down, letting go of all the hats I like but never really pick up for whatever reason or another. Have a lot of hats lol. But I always end up wearing my Buckaroos quite a bit amidst the mix. Well made and made to my specifications, which put them very in tune with how I dress. It's funny how that works. Find the right hat maker who knows how to nail what you see in your mind and you'll always end up comfortable in those hats.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Nice hat Lando. Last time I was up in Covington, about this time last year, Mike showed me a pencil curl hat that I thought was outside what I had in my mind's eye as being a good look on me. A fedora, brown, but a wider brim then I ever had worn and more of a dress western hat in my eyes. However, everyone gives me compliments on it, moreso than what I think looks best on me, which is the dressy Stetson Saxon in a darker grey. I also wore my silverbelly fedora Mike made me, which has a light stone or khaki ribbon with the blue streak in the keeper. I was shopping Black Friday in Atlanta in Lenox Mall and men would say I look great, in fact, at J, Crew, two or three 20 something associates would stop folding clothes, and come over and tell me they liked my hat. Something tells me that I have to get up to Covington and tell Mike, make me something that looks great, and it may be that charred look, it may not be, but I have to rethink what I think looks good on me. I guess we all have an idaa of what our image is, but moreso these days, I guess due to the divorce, other people see me differently and I am responding and getting more compliments. Anyway, if it is because of Buckaroo Hats, then I'm all in!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy