Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BUCKAROO BONANZA! - The Hats that Major Mike Moore Makes

Lotsahats

One Too Many
15749971859_5b15b31707_b.jpg

This one came in a while ago but I just never got a photo I liked of me in it. Flat top, pencil rolled brim with the up turn that I'm coming to realize I prefer in most of my hats despite myself, and a great custom leather tooled and painted band. Another great example of skilled and sturdy hat making. Last hat that I bought and probably the last hat for a while. Moving soon and I'm trying to slim my collection down, letting go of all the hats I like but never really pick up for whatever reason or another. Have a lot of hats lol. But I always end up wearing my Buckaroos quite a bit amidst the mix. Well made and made to my specifications, which put them very in tune with how I dress. It's funny how that works. Find the right hat maker who knows how to nail what you see in your mind and you'll always end up comfortable in those hats.

Seem to recall that you're a friendly size...want to share this catalog of hats? ;)

majormoore

Vendor
Lando, has been a wonderful customer , he knows what he wants, he doesn't write a book on the design , nor change up the design once he says start the hat.
I have loved making the hats for him each time he has requested a new hat.

Good luck on the move, are you moving far away NJ, or staying in the area?

Major Moore

Lando

Practically Family
Thanks very much.

We're heading north to Vermont. Lake Champlain area. Ready to get a little more rural.

OT1899

Familiar Face
I just stumbled across the Buckaroo Facebook page and was quite impressed with the photos posted there. Good job guys!!!

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I had decided in my mind that my 2" brimmed hat, in light grey rabbit felt, was too short of a brim for me. Funny, because my first hat, a Stetson Saxon in caribou, is a 2" brim but it wears bigger. Don't ask me why, how or tell me that does not make sense, but it just seems that way. The light grey one seemed like a stingy, the Stetson normal. I have wanted to replace it for a year and well, I had a yen a couple of weeks back to sell it and get a new one. Well, before it sold, I determined in my mind to head on up to Mike Moore at Buckaroo Hatters for a new one. Seems like this is a yearly thing for me, about this time each year (well, last year it was around November, lol). I have the Caribou, which is medium grey, a brown hat and a silverbelly which wears to the taupe side. So I was going in, thinking graphite or steel or dark grey or maybe navy. One thing I appreciate about Mike is that he tells it like it is, and he told me navy did not seem right on me or was what I was wanting. He held up swatches and one tended to blue shades, but he had a hat in stock in my size that was charcoal grey. Ribbon edged and it had a thin ribbon. He told me that he could change it out to a 16 ligne and he did and it had a 2 5/8" brim. The first hat he did for me was 2 1/2" so I was good to go. Can't seem to take it off. Been thinking of selling my Stetson Saxon because, well, because it is not a Buckaroo is the only reason I can think of. It does have a non-leather sweatband and I may replace it but I do like the wider ribbon on the Stetson (2" or maybe an 18 ligne) and the brim snap to it just seems to suit me - seems more business like. So it may be a keeper. Anyway, it is always fun to go up to Mike's shop and they had Dickens Christmas on the town square, with everyone dressed up from that time period, hot apple cider given away, food in the little shops, and the place was bustling. Marlowe's was closed down - I had never eaten there - but Mike steered me to the Court Square Cafe where I had country fried steak, sweet tea (cut with unsweet) and veggies. Tried to talk my lady friend into a hat but she did not, but she did like wearing mine for a bit. Nice time was had. Saw some pugarees and may have to get up to Buckaroo come spring time to grab two or three to interchange with my Panama Bob Cuenca and my Buckaroo parbuntal straw hats.

RBH

Bartender
Looks good ML!
I like the straight looking crown and bound edge.
The last time I was at the shop, Art, John Barrow and myself all had the country fried steak. So I can vouch for the Court Square Cafe!!!
Maybe we can meet up some time when I am over.

By the way I used to be a fiend for a 2 3/4 brim... now I tend to a 2 5/8 or 2 1/2.

Last edited:

Lando

Practically Family
16096408642_a8cfffdb8d_c.jpg

Ended up needing a gift at the last minute for a family member who really like my hats. In the Christmas spirit, Moore was able to get a hat put together they had in the right size and get it out to me in time. I just specified size, then chose a color from what they had, and I let Moore do the rest. It was an interesting surprise to see what he put together, which I think came out great. But I'm still massively grateful that he was able to provide a good looking hat in a short period of time. That's some great service at a very busy time of year.

Thanks Moore.
Merry Christmas.

Customer for life.

Lando

Practically Family
Aw C'mon guys, whazzat color?

It's Granite on a 10x. Putting that on my list of future hats to get for myself from Moore in the future. Maybe a flared flat top in granite with one of those great painted and tooled leather bands.

majormoore

Vendor
When Lando, sent me the email it was 4 days before Christmas, I knew I had a few hats in the size he was looking for, I had to sew the bound edge on the hat, do a pencil curl on the brim shape the hat. Once I got the ok on the colors I had , I told Lando, that I would get the hat done and it would go out next morning via Fed X , for 2nd day arrival to him, which was Christmas Eve.

He has been a great customer, and I felt that there was no other thing to do, but get that hat done and shipped out.

Major Moore

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy