Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buco J-100 in Black Shinki by Diamond Dave

A-1

One Too Many
What a beauty this jacket is. DD is a wizard!
I like black leather jackets. Especially with graining like this...

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Isn't it top notch? I love the fact that the guy you deal with is the guy that physically makes it, and puts everything into it. It's a clean, simple design, but somehow loaded with detail, from the awesome stitching, to the sexy grain. Just an awesome creation full stop!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Have you got a tracking number yet Protein? I'm dying to see some more pics of yours, and pick your brain about the leather!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah I'm tracking it...it just left the states this morning so by past experience I should get it around this time next week ;D

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Very nice! I ordered the same jacket yesterday! He told me it should take a month... Can't wait!

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Have a look at this, and honestly please help me! Dave has sent me some pics of some zippers, some of you big brained machines can help me. What should I choose? Protein, your a fellow Aussie, sorry for hijacking your thread mate! Help me help you! Sorry guys, I'm not used to this kid of attention to detail, or customer care for that matter. I feel like a bit of a dummy. Poor Dave is holding my hand and giving me an education, what do you guts think?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Have a look at this, and honestly please help me! Dave has sent me some pics of some zippers, some of you big brained machines can help me. What should I choose? Protein, your a fellow Aussie, sorry for hijacking your thread mate! Help me help you! Sorry guys, I'm not used to this kid of attention to detail, or customer care for that matter. I feel like a bit of a dummy. Poor Dave is holding my hand and giving me an education, what do you guts think?
View attachment 30755
View attachment 30756
View attachment 30756 View attachment 30757

I don't think what you posted here is actually a "choice" these are the whole zipper kit, the first one is the main zipper, the diamond and chains ones are the chest pocket zippers, the other short ones are the sleeve zippers.
From what i understood placing my order you can choose either brass, or nickel.
He also offers vintage NOS zippers, but recommended the repro zippers to me, saying they were stronger.

I wouldn't sweat it, just decide if you prefer brass or nickel. Some people prefer one or the other depending on leather color... I only have black jackets, some with brass, some with nickel, both look good.
On a brown leather i think i might prefer brass, but it is a personal choice.
I just ordered a black shinki j100 and went with nickel.

Last edited:
I don't think what you posted here is actually a "choice" these are the whole zipper kit, the first one is the main zipper, the diamond and chains ones are the chest pocket zippers, the other short ones are the sleeve zippers.
From what i understood placing my order you can choose either brass, or nickel.
He also offers vintage NOS zippers, but recommended the repro zippers to me, saying they were stronger.

I wouldn't sweat it, just decide if you prefer brass or nickel. Some people prefer one or the other depending on leather color... I only have black jackets, some with brass, some with nickel, both look good.
On a brown leather i think i might prefer brass, but it is a personal choice.
I just ordered a black shinki j100 and went with nickel.

:arated: Carlos said it all.

But yeah, what Navetsea pointed out, beside the hardware colour, you have to choose whether you'd want a brown or black zipper tape on your jacket. If I am to be asked, both work equally well on black leather jackets and in fact, a lots of vintage jackets, both British and American had brown tape by default. Later on mostly everyone switched to black tape for black jackets. I find that both black or brown tape do just as well with brass hardware, but for nickel zippers, I would always go with black tape. For brown jackets you can only really go with brown zipper tape and yeah, most people prefer brass hardware on brown leather, myself included.

wanz

One of the Regulars
I would normally have gone with nickle on a black jacket. However, during our conversationa Dave mentioned to me that his pattern is from the late 40s at which time brass was still more available after the war so it was the more common zipper material. I went with brass as a nod to that. The black leather that he used has brown undertones so it also wound up working well from an aesthetics perspective. I don't know that you can wrong either way.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Its worth asking, my first 2 jackets both had black tape, the most recent in Shinki had brown.

I didn't bother asking! To be honest i like both and would not know which to choose, i think i'll just leave it to luck!

Probably already your plan, but please post pics and fit pics when it arrives.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Got this from Dave, he has some samples in the post for me, but he mailed me this pic to get a bit of a comparison re colours....they all look red hot....will have to wait until the actual samples arrive to go to the next level, but this gives me some perspective. Then I need to match it up with zipper the/ hardware, and I'm thinking of a funky stitching colour for a bit more detail. The last DD jacket I got had really tight, straight stitching, perfect for a contrast thread. I think it shows the quality of his work off.
image.jpg

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many
Got this from Dave, he has some samples in the post for me, but he mailed me this pic to get a bit of a comparison re colours....they all look red hot....will have to wait until the actual samples arrive to go to the next level, but this gives me some perspective. Then I need to match it up with zipper the/ hardware, and I'm thinking of a funky stitching colour for a bit more detail. The last DD jacket I hot have really tight, straight stitching, perfect for a contract thread. I think it shows the quality of his work off.
View attachment 30895
Are they all Shinki horsehide?
They all look good, but I'm really liking the black and the dark seal.
And I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of Protein's latest!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy