Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buco J-100 in Black Shinki by Diamond Dave

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That really is beautiful. How long is the wait?

I think it's already made, so that's about a 7 day turn around? Pretty amazing. I think it's about a month plus if you order one from scratch. I might be wrong, but I know it's not a hideous wait anyway. Even if it was a couple of months, for that jacket, it's worth it. You have to remember he is also now working with John Chapman, so, that speaks volumes re Diamond Daves Skills..

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That really is beautiful. How long is the wait?

Its usually about 2 weeks with the longest part being getting it cleared through Australian customs...always the fun part, seeing it sitting for over a week somewhere about 30 minutes from my apartment after only taking 3 days to get from the US to here.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Its usually about 2 weeks with the longest part being getting it cleared through Australian customs...always the fun part, seeing it sitting for over a week somewhere about 30 minutes from my apartment after only taking 3 days to get from the US to here.

Frustrating isn't it?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Just got these photos from Dave. I'm having a hard time deciding which leather to go with. I don't really wear much black, but I,wanted to see something with good brass hardware, as I prefer brass to nickel. I'm looking at a few of his brown leathers,and they are all superb. Now, seeing another of his black jackets, I'm torn even more. This is one of the few black jackets that I would gladly own. He is the most patient man on the planet, I've been chopping and changing my mind every 5 minutes.....it's driving both of us crazy.
Anyway, here is the black leather with awesome brass hardware, all original brass talons....just an awesome bit of kit.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Superfluous

I prefer nickel hardware over brass . . . even with brown leather.

IMHO, brass hardware works best with brown leather (I prefer nickel, but see the allure of brass with brown).

IMHO, brass hardware conflicts with black leather.

Perhaps most germane to your inquiry, the brass hardware in the depicted jacket conflicts with the nickel collar snap. Whether you select brass or nickel hardware, all of the hardware should be the same.

ProteinNerd

I quite like an antique dull looking brass on a black jacket but not so much the shinny new looking brass.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
with black leather, I prefer nickel, antiqued nickel or antiqued brass, fresh shiny brass looks better on brown in my opinion

IXL

One Too Many
I prefer brass with both brown and black leather, although I have black jackets featuring nickel and they don't look bad.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I prefer nickel hardware over brass . . . even with brown leather.

IMHO, brass hardware works best with brown leather (I prefer nickel, but see the allure of brass with brown).

IMHO, brass hardware conflicts with black leather.

Perhaps most germane to your inquiry, the brass hardware in the depicted jacket conflicts with the nickel collar snap. Whether you select brass or nickel hardware, all of the hardware should be the same.

I hadn't seen the nickel collar snap. That's interesting. I've had a few nickel hardware jackets, and they all look cool, I guess its a bit like my preference for brown leather, just a habit that I have.

technovox

One Too Many

I agree. Whether one prefers brass or nickel, all the hardware should at least match... including the collar snap. (Oddly enough, I occasionally see vintage cafe racers with a mix of both.)

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I agree. Whether one prefers brass or nickel, all the hardware should at least match... including the collar snap. (Oddly enough, I occasionally see vintage cafe racers with a mix of both.)

I know with the Buco d pockets it was fairly normal to have mixed hardware, and it looks great, and is period correct. I'm also reliably informed that the original Buco j-100 style always had a nickel snap, regardless of the zips etc used. I'm pretty sure that's right, someone with more knowledge than I might be able to confirm that. That's why dealing with blokes like DD or JC, Langlitz etc is so cool. You just know that everything they do to a jacket is period correct, and there is a reason for everything, not just a random decision etc. When I was designing my
Langlitz, it was the same thing. I would ask about a,b or c, and the answer was always pretty straightforward about why thing were like they were. I found it really fascinating, and it always made sense.
Anyway, that's my 2c, I might be wrong, it wouldn't even be the first time today!;)

Superfluous

^ Mismatched hardware might be period correct -- I have no idea. Nevertheless, I personally think that matching hardware looks better. Moreover, I would not want to complicate the wonderfully sleek, simple and minimalist J-100 with mismatched hardware . . . I can see it with a more complicated J-106, but not the J-100. Again, just my humble opinion.

pawineguy

One Too Many
^ Mismatched hardware might be period correct -- I have no idea. Nevertheless, I personally think that matching hardware looks better. Moreover, I would not want to complicate the wonderfully sleek, simple and minimalist J-100 with mismatched hardware . . . I can see it with a more complicated J-106, but not the J-100. Again, just my humble opinion.

I agree with this, especially on a J-100 where it's all about the leather. The one highlight that I do like is the brown zipper tape, but on a J-100 that might also be too much. I rarely go with brass hardware, prefer antique or nickel, but on my Vanson Model B it just looks right. Back to your original question, I have always been a brown leather jacket guy, but as I am typing this I find myself with 5 black jackets. Not sure how it happened but I do think everyone should have one classic black, especially in the cafe racer / J-100 style. I think I need to sell some black jackets...

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
How hard could it be to stop at just one?

I know! I give myself headaches once I start compiling a hit list....it's endless. The best I can do is try to prioritise, and then then the leather/ lining choices come into it and it just gets worse.....

el_gato

Familiar Face
Just got these photos from Dave. I'm having a hard time deciding which leather to go with. I don't really wear much black, but I,wanted to see something with good brass hardware, as I prefer brass to nickel. I'm looking at a few of his brown leathers,and they are all superb. Now, seeing another of his black jackets, I'm torn even more. This is one of the few black jackets that I would gladly own. He is the most patient man on the planet, I've been chopping and changing my mind every 5 minutes.....it's driving both of us crazy.
Anyway, here is the black leather with awesome brass hardware, all original brass talons....just an awesome bit of kit.
View attachment 30614
View attachment 30615
View attachment 30616
View attachment 30617

Thats probably my jacket. At least the pictures look exactly like those Dave sent me.

Went with the brass zippers because I'm hoping they'll eventually get dull - Nothing beats dull brass zippers imho!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Thats probably my jacket. At least the pictures look exactly like those Dave sent me.

Went with the brass zippers because I'm hoping they'll eventually get dull - Nothing beats dull brass zippers imho!
I agree, brass with patina looks grand. I have a couple of zippo lighters and 2 nice golf putters that have aged beautifully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner