Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Budget, i.e., "Econo" leather jackets

RailRoad

Familiar Face
I ordered their Wainwright jacket last Friday, their on sale for 70 down from 120. I had to send it back since I ordered it to big and the new one will be here Monday. I just checked the site and their sold out of Large and XL in the A2 so I signed up to be notified when they get more in.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I ordered their Wainwright jacket last Friday, their on sale for 70 down from 120. I had to send it back since I ordered it to big and the new one will be here Monday. I just checked the site and their sold out of Large and XL in the A2 so I signed up to be notified when they get more in.

I ordered the A-2 in size "M", and in brown leather. Did you check black? Their "Nose Dive" jacket is on sale for $78, down from $140. It actually looks close to a B-10. Two color options on it, Olive and gray.

pak

One of the Regulars
There is no free lunch. The econo jackets are cutting costs for materials or labor. Shipping is the same. I like the idea the when I buy an Aero, JL, Schott, BK or any other quality maker that I'm getting quality materials and the those in the construction process are fairly compensated. When you buy a cheap anything the discussion always about the cost.

mihai

A-List Customer
Perhaps you can have a look at the X-element jackets. They are in the price range (100-200 usd). I bought 2 in 2010 (paid about 150 each)and they are much more heavier than the usual mall ones. Heavy cow-hide. In size L they are about 5 pounds weight. The tag says they are made in Pakistan but they are very sturdy, at least a class above average mall jacket. The leather is heavy, hardware YKK heavy duty zip, resilient snaps, buckles. Zip-out synthetic liners. The stitching quality looks at least good, I spotted no flaws. As the Americans say, you get the best bang for the buck. At least for a new jacket. This is my opinion, there might be similar but not much better.
I have these 2 ones:
speedster type - the design is v nice and flattering. A neck breaker.
generic Brando jacket - mine does not have the back model. There is one buffalo leather made with same design.

http://xelementgear.com/

Quality-wise I'd say they are on par with USA made Schott. As ruggedness, they stand on the same level with most of top markers I'd say. From Aero, Eastman and Lost Worlds that I own, only the last is definitely more rugged than X-element.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
There is no free lunch. The econo jackets are cutting costs for materials or labor. Shipping is the same. I like the idea the when I buy an Aero, JL, Schott, BK or any other quality maker that I'm getting quality materials and the those in the construction process are fairly compensated. When you buy a cheap anything the discussion always about the cost.

Read the title...Budget - Econo. What did you expect? I bought a brand new Mercedes Benz "E" Class...it was "cheap" because I picked it up in Germany and shipped it to the USA. The discussion then was about cost too.

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Based on the customer photos and feed back, plus the recommendation from RailRoad, might just give this one a try. I can always send it back!

$119...free shipping, free returns...are you kidding me? Ha!

Here is my plan as to how to customize the jacket for my Dad...

View attachment 11699

Nice one.

Hey I don't know if your dad is particular about such things (I'm sure he will LOVE it in any case), but you generally wear your name tag/tape above the heart, i.e. left side.

Also, he may, or may not feel he rates wings unless he got them in the service.

Something else he might like is a leather name tag. There are tons of makers out there, but here's one that has the CIB as an option.

https://www.nametags4u.com/category/?cid=16

Deacon

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Nice one.

Hey I don't know if your dad is particular about such things (I'm sure he will LOVE it in any case), but you generally wear your name tag/tape above the heart, i.e. left side.

Also, he may, or may not feel he rates wings unless he got them in the service.

Something else he might like is a leather name tag. There are tons of makers out there, but here's one that has the CIB as an option.

https://www.nametags4u.com/category/?cid=16

Deacon

Hey Deacon - Thanks! Yes, some name tags are worn on the left breast, but the U.S. Army name tags are all on the right side. I studied a lot of pictures online to make sure. His name tag will not have wings. And having it on the right side actually makes it all symmetrical, since the Infantry Badge / Purple Heart and Bronze Star have to be on the left side.

Just hope the Alpha A-2 is as nice as the Alpha jackets I saw in Germany. I'm sure my Dad will be happy...and surprised!

Army dress uniform.jpg

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Ah, good point.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Flight jacket name tags are generally worn on the left, since they usually display the individual's badges which are worn over the heart.

If you are just putting on a name patch, I guess you could argue it either way! :)

Deacon

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Ah, good point.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Flight jacket name tags are generally worn on the left, since they usually display the individual's badges which are worn over the heart.

If you are just putting on a name patch, I guess you could argue it either way! :)

Deacon

Well...I guess you are correct. I had only looked at Army dress uniforms. My Dad is not a flyer, and has never had a leather jacket.
Gen. Macarthur wore an A-2...wonder where his name tag was?

edit: I just saw the General in an A-2...with a name-strip on the left side.

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Well interestingly, the Army does it both ways on flight jackets over the years.

Here's an example of the way that you are referring:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_09_2013/post-2571-0-85611000-1379170772.jpg

But, when the services all went to standard flight suits and Nomex jackets, I think this became customary:

http://www.tidewateremblems.com/sites/default/files/Flight_Suit_Nametags.jpg

Recently though, I think that the Army started wearing some of its own flight gear and I'm not sure where they went form there.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Truly, the original way to wear you name on the A-2 was with that thin leather strip on the left side with your squadron patch underneath.

I wouldn't make too big a deal out of it though. You are designing your dad's jacket in the spirit of the uniform rather than the letter. So, as long as it looks good and reflects his service, who cares?

Thank him for his service by the way!

Deacon

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
OK...I made some adjustments on the name tag. Here are two examples...which one do you like best? Yes, it is meant to be in the "spirit" rather than 100% correct. Something that my Dad would be proud to wear. He has been thanked for his service by many! And thanks for mentioning it!

102_4530.jpg 102_4529.jpg

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Looks more balanced in the left photo with his name tag over the US Army oval. Looks cluttered being under his CIB.

My thoughts exactly, RailRoad! I added the US Army circle patch on the left...thought it gave the jacket just a bit of a "Presidential" look.

Well the photo on my right would be more correct.. the name tag is always on the left breast on leather flight jackets...but any rank would be much smaller and worn on the epaulettes rather than the sleeves. Plus medals are worn on dress uniforms not leather flight jackets.
HD
DSGT 1970-72

thor

Call Me a Cab
You may want to check out Medals of America.com for some other ideas as well. They do all kinds of custom/veteran pride clothing including jackets. They have a wide variety of clothes and merchandise and can customize almost anything with medals, rank badges, years of service, custom embroidery, etc.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I tend to agree with what HD is saying. The name plate should be one the left breast side, and might want to leave off the medals on the flight jacket. The Bronze Star and Purple Heart Medals are impressive but are designed to be worn only on a dress uniform. Kudos though for meritorious service! :thumb:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Well the photo on my right would be more correct.. the name tag is always on the left breast on leather flight jackets...but any rank would be much smaller and worn on the epaulettes rather than the sleeves. Plus medals are worn on dress uniforms not leather flight jackets.
HD
DSGT 1970-72

Well, since this is not an "official" replica jacket, we need to be granted a bit of artistic liberty. If I could find Technician, 5th Grade pins (Cpl. Tech.), that would be super cool, then they could be placed on the epaulets.

The medals? Not much choice here. Will have to go on the jacket somehow. Certainly do not want to offend any military personnel, active or retired.

I tend to agree with what HD is saying. The name plate should be one the left breast side, and might want to leave off the medals on the flight jacket. The Bronze Star and Purple Heart Medals are impressive but are designed to be worn only on a dress uniform. Kudos though for meritorious service! :thumb:

Yeah..would otherwise look strange to another Vet..maybe even Dad.
HD

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family

You guys got me thinkin'...so, leave off the medals. OK. Leave the rank off the sleeves. OK. The Western Pacific patch and 24th Infantry patch are OK on the sleeves? The round US Army patch on the right breast is OK?

Need to find Corporal Technician pins somewhere, somehow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner