Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burk's Bay or Sportsman's Guide?

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Does anybody have any knowledge of or experience with Burk's Bay or Sportsman's Guide's "Guide Gear" leather jackets? Searching for something vaguely Indy-style (though not screen accurate, necessarily), I found Sportsman's Guide sells a Guide Gear Lambskin Aviator Jacket and Burk's Bay Brushed Napa Leather Jacket.

They're less expensive than similar styled jackets from the usual brands noted here and at Club Obi Wan (The Burk's Bay Brushed Napa Leather Jacket can be found online at under $120)...and there could be a good reason for that!

Just wondering if anybody knew anything about these brands, their fit and quality. Thanks!

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Doug. US Wings is tempting. I'm concerned about getting the right size. I'm 5' 8", 160, medium-build, wear a 41-42R suit coat. I'd like a leather jacket I can wear with a sweater or fleece under it, so I'm afraid a medium might be too small...whereas a large may have sleeves down to my knees!

The US Wings website says their $195 jackets are cut "trimmer," which could make a medium not comfy for driving where you don't want a jacket to feel confining.

Any input you may have on choosing the right size in US Wings jackets would be very helpful...thanks!

Interbak

One of the Regulars
I can't offer much help with Wings sizing, I haven't figured it out yet myself. I had a USW Signature Indy in XL (I'm usually a 44), it was an absolute tent on me, but from their sizing chart it looked like a L would be too small. I now have an XXL Goat 30th Anniversary Legend that I picked up on eBay and it fits pretty well. It's a little snug, but I'm working on that :) I took a chance on it and did OK, but I don't think I'd buy another Wings without going to their store and trying it on in person. I'm in Canada and their return policy doesn't allow for returns outside of the US. I see you're in Maryland, so dropping in for a try on isn't so easy, you can always call or email them and get measurements for the various sizes.
I've got a nice Wested lamb Indy I'll sell you cheap, it should fit a 42 nicely. I custom ordered it when I was a lot smaller.
PM if you're interested, I can send pics and measurements.

Brian

loosebolts

Familiar Face
i have only dealt with sportsmans guide. guide gear although it has a guarantee, its cheap stuff made in china. it will work but wont be superb quality. if you can afford it i'd go with something else. just my 0.2 cents

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
i have only dealt with sportsmans guide. guide gear although it has a guarantee, its cheap stuff made in china. it will work but wont be superb quality. if you can afford it i'd go with something else. just my 0.2 cents

Thanks, Loosebolts. I was kind of thinking that would be the case. :)

DougC

Practically Family
I think buying US Wings is an art...not a science. My wife bought me an XL goatskin Indy for Christmas. I wear a 43 suit jacket and wanted to wear a sweater under the leather jacket when needed. So...I had my wife put a note on the order to that affect. When the jacket got here I tried it on and then promptly tossed into the washer on warm then dried it in the dryer for 30 minutes on not too hot. The jacket is way less shiny and fits perfectly.

I think, given your size, you should look at the measurements. IF the large is close to what you want in the body and the sleeves are a tad too long, you can always shorten them with a visit to the tailor.

armscye

One of the Regulars
Sportsman's Guide

I went through a phase of being a regular Sportsman's Guide customer several years ago, and found that 20% of their stuff was a good (but never exceptional) value, sometimes with a rugged adventurous look, but 80% of it was sub-Walmart quality. Remember, they are largely a liquidation house, so much of their merchandise is stuff that failed initially in the market. In addition, the majority of it is clearly sized for heavier set customers. Yes, their return policy as reassuring-- but I used it far too often.

In leathers, I dumped or returned several jackets from SG, and found that only one (a perfed leather scooter jacket that i had radically altered) was worth keeping.

So I would say with some authority that SG is rarely a source for good leathers.

les_garten

One of the Regulars
I have a Burk's Bay Jacket.

It was given to me by Cisco Systems when I was buying about 20-30 Million bucks of their gear a year.

It's just a Black Leather Jacket, not sure what style I would call it.

The Leather is worth $120 I guess. It is made in China.

My Jacket is worth $120, noy any more though.

Made from Genuine FQCH

That's Front Quater Cat Hide...

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
I bought a Guide Gear leather jacket from SG about 11 years ago. It's a low-quality made in China cheap nappa leather pressed to look like goatskin with the mall jacket style map lining. Although it's a medium it fits larger. My best purchases from SG have been close-out quality name brand footwear and European military surplus from their HQ catalog. US Wings has good quality lambskin jackets in varying fits. Some are slimmer fit than others. Their prices are very nice for what you get.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SG can be a good deal, but you must research their prices on third party goods.

Overall, I like SG.

~Caveat -The SG branded merchandise is in my experience total shite, oversized & under flea-market quality, likely made by Chinese Political Prisoners IMO.

That said, their Military Surplus can come up w/ some doozies & oddballs!

And if you EVER find yourself in need of high-capacity rifle/shotgun mags, they have ya' covered.

From duel chamber, 200 round .45 mags to 20 round 12 gauge pump shotgun mags!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner