Burned on Ebay

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by slightseconds, Feb 24, 2018.

1. ton312

ton312

That doesn't appear to be a real McCoy's jacket. In fairness the seller may not have known but I think the seller should honor a return based on that alone. The stitching suddenly becomes much less important than the jackets authenticity which upon seeing the labels above, I would sincerely question.

2. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

The plot thickens!

Lebowski, El Marro and Flightengineer like this.
  3. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

If that unstitched pocket was not mentionned i would immediatly return it, and leave a negative feedback stating the seller hid the true condition of the item.
    I can't believe you would hide that and then be "very disappointed that the buyer is unhappy with the purchase"! This is scammy and dishonest even if you ignore the fact that it could be a fake!

4. Cooper A-2

Cooper A-2 Practically Family

Good question...

5. Cooper A-2

Absolutely.

6. Monitor

Monitor

Weren't they made in New Zealand or something as well?

Lebowski and Edward like this.
  7. Cooper A-2

Check the Ralph Lauren A-2 sites...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  8. Cooper A-2

Yes they were...but not marked with “ UK leather “ ...
    I am certain that John ( Lever ), who is a very knowledgeable person and the best Real McCoy’s expert, can give a very valuable input.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  9. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

Flightengineer and Cooper A-2 like this.
  10. Cooper A-2

You are right...

11. Cooper A-2

Getting a higher $$$£££€€€ price...A RMC A-2 brings more than a RLL A-2

Flightengineer likes this.
  12. l0fielectronic

l0fielectronic Practically Family

Yes, wouldn't be impressed with that stitching myself at all. As to the label, a quick google brought this up, from here, I thought it was identical but its not, the wording differs but is similar.

Has the lining been replaced do you think, I mean I don't know why you'd put such a label in a different jacket but just trying to think of an explanation. Certainly seems you have grounds for a return.

Attached Files:

davyjones007 likes this.
  13. breezer

breezer Practically Family

some knowledgeable person here must be able to identify this as genuine RM or not. If its not an RM then case closed....and return. The label does not inspire confidence.

14. Cooper A-2

Mr. John Lever please..

15. l0fielectronic

l0fielectronic Practically Family

Oh I get that for sure.

But the companys who make dedicated fakes are generally quite good on making the labels which match, to a degree.
    This doesn't look anything like a label you'd see in an RL jacket either, at least in my experience. It looks like a generic 80s/90s label you'd find on a no brand jacket from that period. Is odd to see it used here.

Cooper A-2 likes this.
  16. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

The seller in the auction in question stated having purchased the jacket from a member of this forum. Can that person chime in?

I am running out of popcorn.

17. ton312

ton312

Here, have some of mine. You'll need a box this big if you hang around here long enough.
    IMG_8604.JPG

18. Monitor

Monitor

Lol That's from where I live!

torfjord, bn1966, JMax and 2 others like this.
  19. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

Dear Mr Techno, you appear fair saying "eBay is more or less forcing sellers to accept returns (within 14 days IIRC) no matter the reason". But your next quote I personally think this is very bad practice, deciding to "change your mind". I would immediately put that bidder on my blocked bidder list especially as I could not leave negative feedback as a waste of time buyer. You could effectively bid on a few of the same item and then just buy the one you won at the cheapest price. Anyone who chips in with comments concerning 2nd chance buyers, I always feel those that pull out can look suspiciously like shill bidders and the next buyer on the list may think the same, especially if the original winning bidder has made small bid amounts continuously through the auction.
    I don't know if I have missed it but the Made in England label and Real Leather labels(not in the auction photo's looks a bit iffy when coupled to the Real McCoy label under the pocket flap. Mighty suspicious.
    The photo's on the auction page do make the jacket look quite well made including good quality materials. As for the missing stitching yes it should have been disclosed. I have an Eastman that is basically falling apart. It is an older version though, probably mid 1980s with that Off the Shoulder look they had, probably put together by an inexpierienced machinist.

Cooper A-2 likes this.
  20. wild_balls

wild_balls Practically Family

That was my jacket, I have owned it for about ten years! Bought it used. I can assure you this is the real thing. If you know anything about high end repros there’s no doubt. I was told that the leather was sourced from England.
    That’s why it has the tag inside. This is a very early Real McCoys jacket. I have both Japan RMC and New Zealand RMC. This one is a rare example of a jacket very hard to distinguish from the real thing.
    Regarding the seams they were just the same when I bought it the first time!

Cheers Joakim