Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burned on Ebay

It wasn't wild_balls.
Well. Yes it was. (Originally). My suggestion all along has been to simply send it back. So.
IMG_8606.GIF

Technonut

Practically Family
but then how would you feel if I had bid on one of your items and then 'Changed my mind'?

Already answered that one previously:

I have had similar requests to cancel orders as a seller myself in the past, and while I may not have liked it, did cancel the sales, issued refunds, and relisted the items.

I contacted the mentioned seller within two hours of the sale with a cancellation request after I uncovered some potentially disturbing info regarding the item.. It was the middle of the night in both of our respective time-zones, and no notification of a shipping label created, so I knew the item couldn't have possibly shipped. I was totally ignored for three days, sending messages on each, then received a shipping notice.. It was only then that I initiated the return process, followed by the seller's confusion in a message asking how I was able to do that without their approval..

This will be my last words on the matter, since I was merely using my experience as relevant info for a couple of posts regarding the OP's plight....

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Already answered that one previously:

I contacted the mentioned seller within two hours of the sale with a cancellation request after I uncovered some potentially disturbing info regarding the item.. It was the middle of the night in both of our respective time-zones, and no notification of a shipping label created, so I knew the item couldn't have possibly shipped. I was totally ignored for three days, sending messages on each, then received a shipping notice.. It was only then that I initiated the return process, followed by the seller's confusion in a message asking how I was able to do that without their approval..

This will be my last words on the matter, since I was merely using my experience as relevant info for a couple of posts regarding the OP's plight....
Thanks, it's good to hear other peoples experiences as eBay does not really listen to sellers.
As to the original posters jacket looking at the pocket photo's he posted I do think he is in the right to return this if he wishes. Worn stitching is a lot different to deteriorating to the point of the panels coming apart.
J

willyto

One Too Many
Thank you Scott, I just wondered how to get the wrinkles out!
Got it from ebay (street vintage malaysia).

Yes. I own a superb duo tone RM B-3. Like this A2 it does have a made in the UK label. The fleece was from the Fenland tannery, but I have no evidence that the jacket was definitely made in the UK.

So far we only know of two The Real McCoy's jackets that have those labels and the OP contacting RMC didn't bring any light into the matter.

I've never seen any label like that in the leather jackets at RMC London and I've tried a few of them and inspected them.

Also, let's see who is the smart kid that can spot failed or missing stitching in this picture. With all the shine the jacket has and without knowing it before inspecting the photo and zooming in looking for it I bet no one would have spotted it so the seller should have mentioned in the listing because he knew it was there and he decided not to say anything but in a cheeky way posted a picture of the pockets ;)

xC1BTc7.jpg

I can spot something strange in the picture but only after the fact. Beats me how a RMC original jacket can loose stitching in the pockets area.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Looks like the pocket on the left has loose stitching on the outside middle and the pocket on the right has loose stitching on the outside lower middle and top left.

willyto

One Too Many
Looks like the pocket on the left has loose stitching on the outside middle and the pocket on the right has loose stitching on the outside lower middle and top left.

Exactly and unless we hadn't been told that there was such damage one would not go looking for loose stitching on a modern repro jacket. Not even most vintage leather jackets have that kind of damage. It's not something so common that one would look for it so it should have been written in the description. That's why I say the use of that picture is very cheeky by the seller... Oh, I put a picture where you can see the damage. Yeah, well you didn't exactly described it on the listing.

To the OP: Send it back.

Fonzie

One Too Many
The thread is made of cotton, not titanium.
It will deteriorate with time, everything does.
(Well, maybe not Lost Worlds purple unicorn leather jackets).

It’s a minimum ten year old jacket at a fraction of the current price.
You can’t expect a new jacket if you buy bargains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

Perhaps, but I have jackets 30-40 years old with intact stitching.

And I can absolutely expect a seller to disclose the full condition of an item they're selling, or take a return for an item not as described.

OP deserves a return.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Should have disclosed it, yes definitely.
But I still think the jacket is worth the current market price and I have a feeling that if the fit was good, there would be no issue and the stitching would have been overlooked.
But then again, I’m just speculating here, I’m not in either of these gentlemen shoes, I’m just expressing a personal opinion, like everyone else here.
That’s the purpose of the post, isn’t it?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Should have disclosed it, yes definitely.
But I still think the jacket is worth the current market price and I have a feeling that if the fit was good, there would be no issue and the stitching would have been overlooked.
But then again, I’m just speculating here, I’m not in either of these gentlemen shoes, I’m just expressing a personal opinion, like everyone else here.
That’s the purpose of the post, isn’t it?

Arguably it might be worth the market price, but that's not the point. Buyer bought something with an issue that should have been disclosed, and wasn't. Case closed. If he was OK with the undisclosed defect and wanted to keep it, that'd be fine for him to make that decision, but he's entirely within his rights to want a return on the basis of "item not as described".

willyto

One Too Many

I just dismantled a goatskin A2 jacket from Eastman that I still had lying around from a badly gone HWT. I had to use very sharp tiny pair of scissors and seam reaper to get rid of the stitching surrounding the zipper in order to salvage it and the leather was damaged and dried out, otherwise it would have been more difficult. I had to put all my efforts to pull out even a couple of stitches, when one breaks the other don't just go out, they're sewn on in a way that they don't fail like that. The stuff these makers use is no joke, it's not just cotton but very high quality cotton so regular wear even for 10 years won't do anything to it unless cut off on purpose. That just doesn't happen on a top maker of today.

If a jacket from RMC can't take regular wear up to the point that the stitching in the pockets fails... there's something fishy going on.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I just dismantled a goatskin A2 jacket from Eastman that I still had lying around from a badly gone HWT. I had to use very sharp tiny pair of scissors and seam reaper to get rid of the stitching surrounding the zipper in order to salvage it and the leather was damaged and dried out, otherwise it would have been more difficult. I had to put all my efforts to pull out even a couple of stitches, when one breaks the other don't just go out, they're sewn on in a way that they don't fail like that. The stuff these makers use is no joke, it's not just cotton but very high quality cotton so regular wear even for 10 years won't do anything to it unless cut off on purpose. That just doesn't happen on a top maker of today.

If a jacket from RMC can't take regular wear up to the point that the stitching in the pockets fails... there's something fishy going on.

There was recently a TFL thread of an example of a fairly new Himel Canuck that had ripped thread and leather in one shoulder. It happens even to top makers.

Also, I personally had an RMC NZ Rough Wear from the early nineties, with just the original owner before me and the thread of one of the pocket flaps was coming undone too. So I know first hand that this is normal and happens occasionally.

It’s not just wear, it’s HOW you wear it too.

People often say here: “wear it hard and in good health” or “I don’t baby my jackets...”
Maybe this is one of those examples of people wearing hard and not babying their jackets.

BUT, I may be wrong and it’s just a fake RMC. Who knows.
There’s a mystery to solve...

wild_balls

Practically Family
RMC started making A2 repros a long time ago? I bought this one used, who knows how old it is? Does anybody know what kind of thread RMC used in the early Days? Who would go through the effort making a fake RMC and leaving the UK leather tag in the lining and put an authentic zipper and Rough Wear tag + the RMC tag in the pocket??? It's like Fonzie said, it depends how you use it. I have owned original A2's that had perfect stitching also. It is ridicilous to say that a jacket regarding only it's age would have worn out stitching or not! I could wear a jacket hard for a year and probably ruin some stitching. This jacket can be over 20 years old in my opinion. If this jacket had it's early years in Asia you probably know that humidity eats cotton if you do not store it right. Guess I'll join the popcorn gang after this.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Maybe had something with a hard edge in the pocket at some time such as a credit card. Had the damage been at the beginning of the sewing I would say a machinists fault but this appears to be midway.
I have an original wartime jacket that has most of the stitching around the pocket still intact, and an Eastman I have repaired again and again for pocket stitching issues. I would still send this one back if I did not think it could be fixed properly though.

slightseconds

New in Town
@willyto, that's exactly how I feel about the pics of the pocket, I'm sure most people would not spot the damage unless they knew what they were looking for.

As I mentioned earlier, the maximum age that the jacket can be is 20 years as that's as long as RMC have been around. But Wild_balls has said that these stitching issues were present when he got the jacket 10 plus years ago. Therefore the absolute maximum age the jacket was before having stitching issues was 20 minus 10, so 10 years, which however hard you wear it isn't a long time.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
From his posts on here querying the label he said he had just received the jacket in March of 2013, so its more like five years than ten - not that it makes a great difference to your situation.

The older I get the more mistakes I make like that myself though so I full understand anyone not being able to keep track of the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112