Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burtons 1930's/1940's suit 36S

Cobden

Practically Family
Rather snazzy late 30's or 1940's SB peaked lapelled two piece suit (jacket and trousers), medium blue with pinstripe; British Made. Some features of wartime economy, but by no means all - so probably pre-41 - though could just be a pre-war cheap suit! Condition is good, though the original quality isn't the best - I'd say this is more "working class going out dress" then "middle class day to day wear" (bit too snazzy for Sunday dress). Bit snug under under my armpits, and too tight around the waist for me, hence it's got to go.

Trousers have double inward pleats, 2" turnups, high back and external brace buttons, and a button fly, measure 9 1/2" at the bottom of the leg. Waist measurement circa 28"

Jacket has three external pockets, no vents, peaked lapels, single breasted, manufacturers label (Burtons), no size label or tailors label (believed to be off the peg), silk lining (I think feels to heavy to be Rayon or whathaveyou), white cotton drill sleeve lining, two inside pockets, three buton front, single button hole on lapels. High armholes. I believe it's tailored so as not to fasten, it wouldn't button well even when the trousers weren't tight so I'm fairly certain it's not the pies I've consumed in between purchasing it a few years back and now that cause this problem!

17" armpit measurements (circa 35" chest)
Circa 28 inch waist
Height roughly 5'5"-7"

Can get more measurements on request. Pics, as I say, will be coming.

Will post pics shortly, but would rather trade (or use the suit as part of a part exchange) then sell; mainly looking for a tweed suit (pref three piece) of the era, but will also accept certain peices of militaria I'm looking for, and will consider other trades other bits my size (36 chest, 32 waist, 30 inside leg, 5'7" height). Other then that, sensible offers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner