1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Bush Jackets

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Matt Deckard, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Practically Family

I do so miss the old Banana Republic stores. Back in the mid-1980s I’d make a special trip once a month or so... just for the ambiance and the day dreaming. I was a starving student so it was a huge splurge to buy anything there. And, oh, how I’d repeatedly page through those wonderful catalogues. I wish someone would revive the concept. Bush jackets, safari hats, cool military surplus stuff from odd places. Yuppie exoticism, sure. But it was fun.

Oldsarge and Bushman like this.
  2. Bushman

Bushman Call Me a Cab

Certainly a hundred times better than anything they sell in their stores now.

Tiki Tom and Oldsarge like this.
  3. Canadian

Canadian One of the Regulars

I wish I'd been around to see the old Banana Republic. It sounds like a cross between the local army surplus and the local travel wear shop.

I recently bought a TAG safari coat. I was wearing it to an appointment with my doctor (who is Afrikaner). She asked how I'd purchased it, she was surprised that such a product was available online, and that I was so willing to pay 100+ for it (the jacket was relatively inexpensive, but the shipping jacked up the cost).

I also have safari coats from the GAP, HBC and one from Princess Auto (they have a great surplus section). For hunting season I have several sets of BDUs.

For me, the nearest thing is (a three hour drive away) Bass Pro or Cabelas. Where else can you buy fudge, a camo onesie for my nephew and a case of 7.62x39 Soviet surplus ammo, still in the crate.

But yeah, I would have liked to see the old BR. I have a tee shirt from BR, purchased several years ago, it's basically a branded tee, there is nothing special or unusual with it, but it definitely is from the newer years.

C.

4. fireman

fireman Familiar Face

The old Banana Republic was glorious....who doesn't like a wrecked jeep in the front window?

Tiki Tom and Oldsarge like this.
  5. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Practically Family

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Bruce Wayne likes this.
  6. fireman

fireman Familiar Face

Cool site....thanks for the links!

7. jswindle2

jswindle2 One of the Regulars

I have several TAG shirts and a safari coat. They are great quality! I wish they were softer but I can deal with it. Perfect clothes for a Texas summer.