Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buster Keaton hat

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
He made his own, then when he showed his wife how the to make hat she made them. They went through several per movie.

He would take a Stetson fedora then cut down the brim, then soak it in sugar water to make it stiff and shape the hat to a low crowned pork pie. At least that is what he says he did.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Buster's movie "College" is playing here in Calgary, Canada this Monday night with live organ accompaniment.

He's wearing a top hat in the poster.

ginobarracuda

Familiar Face
I found a collection of Keaton's work "The Art of Buster Keaton" boxed set that contains all 11 features and 19 shorts and also a 3 1/2 hour extra " KEATON PLUS" It's going for $135. and I'm rather tempted..... :clap

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I've only seen Samuel Beckett's "Film", which is probably the least Keaton of all his movies.

Artsy film, about twenty-thirty minutes long. Buster Keaton supposedly was very professional and let the director have full control, except for one thing. Keaton requested that he be allowed to wear his trademark porkpie, and the request was granted.

Nobert

Practically Family
I read an anecdote once about Buster, in his later years when he was not so reckognizable. He was in Germany and in need of a new hat, so he went into a haberdasher's, picked out a likely prospect, then tore out the lining and bashed it into a flat porkpie shape before trying it on. The shop proprietor was horrified at first, until he saw Keaton in the hat, and realized who he was.

Espee

Practically Family
I love the scene in Steamboat Bill, Jr. (right?) where he plays a guy who doesn't wear a hat, who needs to evade the Sheriff and therefore wants to change his appearance. He stands in front of a mirror trying on hat-after-hat-after-hat-after-hat... and when he gets to "the Keaton hat" he looks mortified...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters