Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buttons Inside a WW2 US Army Officer's Tunic

fudge_brownie

New in Town
Were not many of those tunics custom made? Mine is from Issac Hamberger in Baltimore and obviously made just for this officer, as he was over 6 ft. That said, in modern coats such buttons were sometimes used to fasten a lining. Are your buttons in such a location as to do that?

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
The jacket is too fitted to take a lining.
They're not spare buttons because they don't match any of the others and it would be a strange place to put spare buttons.
I wonder if they're meant to attach to the waistband of the pants ?
They look like trouser buttons.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
There is a remote possibility that one or both are escape compasses. I have never heard of them being sown into such a location, but who knows. Take a magnet around the edge of the buttons, if they fallow the magnet, you have a very cool find!

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
There is a remote possibility that one or both are escape compasses. I have never heard of them being sown into such a location, but who knows. Take a magnet around the edge of the buttons, if they fallow the magnet, you have a very cool find!

Wow ! I'll try that - my coat may be mega valuable ! :)
(But, with my luck, probably not :( !)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner