Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buy a beret in France?

NJJax

New in Town
My wife and I will be going to France in a few weeks. I was thinking about buying an authentic beret while I'm there. Does anyone have some recommendations about the best places to buy a beret and the best beret to buy?

- We will be in Provence for a week on an organized tour and in Paris for a week on our own.

- I am thinking of a classic beret, not a Basque beret or a military beret.

- Price is, as always, a consideration.

I own two berets already, a black generic one, made in Eastern Europe, and a black American military style. I wear them both in colder weather, the American military one more than the generic one. I'm looking for something that I can wear, and point to casually and say, "oh this, I picked it up in a little shop in Paris".

Finally, if I go to France in late August / early September and I don't see any locals wearing berets, is it because of the season, or because they just don't wear berets in France?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Provincial department stores generally have a selection of hats, including berets. Could you clarify what you mean by 'classic' and not Basque or military? As far as I know, you've just counted out both types of beret that exist. :) I've always thought the military one with the leather band was developed from the Basque beret, which is the traditional or 'classic' beret.

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Berets

NJJax,

From a recent television documentary (Summer is Tour de France time :) ) I remember that some French town is considered to be the centre of the Beret-world.

A google search reveals that this must be the town of Nay, near Lourdes, in the region Pyrenees-Atlantiques.

See http://www.museeduberet.com/. Apart from a museum devoted to the beret, there also seems to be a 'boutique'.

Have a nice stay!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I seem to recall berets having been sneared at somewhwere here on the Lounge, but I'm a big fan. Many (like 25) years ago my mom, who didn't get out much, found some berets in a catalog and sent like 20 out for Christmas presents. She sent me a grey one and my wife a bright red one. Someone stole the grey one right off my seat at a S'barro on the concourse of the World Trade Center about 15 years ago, so I started wearing the red one. I believe they were made in the Czech republic, as a matter of fact.
Anyhow, the old worn out red wool beret has stood me in good stead for many years, and always seems to generate strong reactions.
I've found several interesting websites that sell berets, but was never able to get a clear idea of which were the highest quality and most authentic.

NJJax

New in Town
Creeping Past said:
Could you clarify what you mean by 'classic' and not Basque or military? As far as I know, you've just counted out both types of beret that exist. :) I've always thought the military one with the leather band was developed from the Basque beret, which is the traditional or 'classic' beret.

There may only be two types of beret: Basque and military. I think of of the larger non-military berets as "Basque" and the smaller ones as not "Basque", but "classic". I could be wrong.

Then there are beret aficionados who consider a beret a Basque beret only if it is manufactured in the Basque region of Spain or France, but that's not the distinction that I was thinking of.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It now sounds like you're calling the "military" beret the "classic" beret-
maybe by default... but I'm finding it a little confusing.

Probably the best place to buy a French, or Basque beret is on the internet-
at least have a good look and find out what it is you're looking for.

And tell us. ;)

B
T

NJJax

New in Town
BellyTank said:
It now sounds like you're calling the "military" beret the "classic" beret-
maybe by default... but I'm finding it a little confusing.

I said "I think of of the larger non-military berets as 'Basque' and the smaller ones as not 'Basque', but 'classic'." In other words, I am saying that I think larger non-military berets as "Basque" and smaller non-military berets as "classic". As I said originally, I could be wrong.

BellyTank said:
Probably the best place to buy a French, or Basque beret is on the internet ...

That's probably true, but then I couldn't casually mention that I bought the beret when I was traveling in France. And it will give me something to do while my wife is shopping.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
You should find a beret fairly easily in Provence, and I'd hazard a guess that those on sale are most likely to be the smaller Basque type. If I've understood you right, should be good for you.

I do understand you want one as a memento. The following links are not intended to steer you away from your goal, but to provide some general information:

Here's a site selling small and large Basque berets, with photos showing modest and flamboyant versions.

This place has them too, and provides photos showing the interior leather band.

Here's another Basque beret site. These people also sell what they describe in a link as "ordinary berets", which are Basque berets without a leather band. I regard these as more a fashion item, and mostly for women, although I fully expect to be told differently later in this thread...

Although many Basque berets are labeled "Impermeable", meaning water resistant, more or less, and will stop your head getting wet, they will shrink over time with repeated soaking.

galopede

One of the Regulars
Creeping Past said:
Here's a site selling small and large Basque berets, with photos showing modest and flamboyant versions.

I have that exact make of beret though mine has a leather hat band. I bought it in a boina shop in San Sebastian just over the border in Spain (in the Basque region!) That's the only place I've seen lots of (civilian) men wearing berets. It's great hat and gets a lot of use in winter as it's a warm hat and it stuffs in a pocket easily.

Gareth

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
////

...."ordinary berets"[/URL], which are Basque berets without a leather band. I regard these as more a fashion item, and mostly for women, although I fully expect to be told differently later in this thread...

Although many Basque berets are labeled "Impermeable", meaning water resistant, more or less, and will stop your head getting wet, they will shrink over time with repeated soaking.

Thanks for the info, C.P. -

Just wanted to put in an impartial plug for Mr. Greer. I've dealt with him three times now. He's always been exceptionally prompt, and the Elosegui product of truly extraordinary quality. He's recently started carrying 11" berets, which I suggested to him in an e-mail a while back. Not crediting myself there, but some of you might like that smaller proportion better. He can't be making much if any money off this. They are very dense.

His are sans leather band. Not trying to influence anybody, but I didn't like the nylon sweatband on my Hoquy and removed it, intending to install a leather one. Then after wearing it awhile as it was, thought "what's the point?" If you have a wool allergy, that's a different story.

Re shrinkage, maybe...but stretchable also. Those without sweatband anyway. The Elosegui comes too small for my head and has to be stretched a lot at the outset, but I haven't noticed much change thereafter post rain. Haven't gotten one really soaked however. Yet.

- Bill

NJJax

New in Town
I returned from France sans beret.

The first reason was that, in the limited time that I had, I only found one decent beret for sale. It wasn't from one of the vendors that were recommended and they didn't have my size anyway. (I'm a 7 3/8 and their largest was a 7 1/4.). I saw plenty of inexpensive Chinese-made berets at the souvenir stands.

The second thing was that I didn't see any men wearing berets. Granted, it was really too warm for a beret in Provence the first week. The second week in Paris was cooler, and I spent a fair amount of time in such likely areas as the Left Bank, Montmartre, and the Marais, but didn't see a single man wearing a beret. There were quite a few older mean wearing cloth caps in both summer weight cotton and winter tweed.

Is the beret passe in France? Or just in late summer?

pretzel

New in Town
NJJax said:
Is the beret passe in France? Or just in late summer?

Not at all...you can even get them monogrammed:

national-lampoons-european-vacation.jpg

lol
(j/k)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot