Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a Repro (MTM)

Hershy

New in Town
Dear All,
I'm a longtime lurker.

Since my weight keeps me from fitting into some very beautiful vintage suits, the only options are to buy suits from High-Quality Reproduction Stores. I've tried to establish contact with Matt Deckard, but I seemed to have peeved.

My Top current choices are Chester Cordite and Magnoli. I'd love to buy Simon James Cathcart, but they don't seem to have an MTM or Bespoke option.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for suitmakers willing to make vintage suits with action backs and bi swings?

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Well, this may not help you in NYC, but I have had several suits custom made by Jonathan Behr in Los Angeles (he works through The Bloke in Pasadena, now mostly online). He has copied suits worn by the Duke of Windsor for me and also once recreated a vintage Savile Row tuxedo for me that I found in an OxFam--being British, it was in too heavy a fabric for the warmer Southern California where I live. Great work, wonderful eye for vintage detail.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Like Alex, London UK is not much help for someone in NYC. But the two tailors that I use can do on line ordering, if you should go down that route I would make sure that your measurements are correct. One way is to measure in both metric and imperial (feet & inches)
When I saw my father's demob suit I just had to have a copy. Rob Crossley of Rocacha made it for me, to perfection. http://www.rocacha.com/suits.htm
The other tailor is George Dyer, he too reproduced a suit, a 1930's style linen suit that I wanted for an Hawaiian themed wedding.
http://www.threadneedlemantailors.co.uk/ I'm sure though, in a city like New York, there must be a tailor of note. Best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB