Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for good quality reproductions, or a good source for vintage

rygd

New in Town
Greetings, everyone!

I have been reading the posts here for many months, and mentioned it as a decent place to get information to my wife. She has since decided to get an account for us here, as well as a subscription to Classic Style for me to have something decent to read. I have a great interest in the technology and American society in the years between the Civil War and post-WWII, particularly the 1880-1910 and 1930's-50's. I tend to focus largely on the clothing, the technology and the way the world was changing how people lived their lives.

Anyway, this is basically a request for assistance from everyone with knowledge on finding affordable suits. It seems a few of you have experience with various tailors and MTM companies. I am looking for someone who not only makes their stuff look decent, but also uses quality materials. Obviously, the more I am going to spend on a suit the more I expect of it.

Right now Magnoli looks like my top choice, mainly due to price, but I would like other options. I am somewhat limited in choices right now, but I would like at least one good condition vintage suit, or a decent reproduction, waiting for me when I get back to the U.S. If I could find decent contemporary suits perhaps this would satisfy me, however past experiences led me to believe this to be a waste of time and money.

Where should I look to add to my wardrobe on a budget?

Thanks...

rygd

New in Town
As I said, I think Magnoli's prices are about what I am allowed to spend. I think if we save a bit for some suits I can spend a bit more. My chest size is 42, my waist fluctuates between 32 and 36 and I have no clue what my inseam is. Also I prefer 3 piece, and if single breasted I tend to go for 3 button, if that helps.

Well if you ever get down to Charleston, we have a lot of mens stores for the size city we are. And I would suggest my own - we have a fairly extensive, and very fast, MTM program that can give you exactly what you might need. Look us up if you ever get down - 319 Men.

(Shameless plug, I know - but it does say 'vendor' under my name! lol)

I've not had a chance to get my hands on anything from Mr. Magnoli, but I hear some good things.

rygd

New in Town
since this is exactly what I am asking for I don't think anyone should give you any problems. I will drop by if I am in the area, or more likely (until spring) my wife will.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Thanks for considering my line as an option. Feel free to e-mail or PM me some time to discuss details. You can talk (or type, I suppose) my ears off with no commitment whatsoever, so drop me a line... if I can't make what you're after perhaps I'll be able to point you in a better direction.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

cookie

I'll Lock Up
rygd said:
As I said, I think Magnoli's prices are about what I am allowed to spend. I think if we save a bit for some suits I can spend a bit more. My chest size is 42, my waist fluctuates between 32 and 36 and I have no clue what my inseam is. Also I prefer 3 piece, and if single breasted I tend to go for 3 button, if that helps.

A) you must be married

B) you will have a great selection of vintage suits to buy on eBay. Try ebay.com-vintage clothes - suits

CharlestonBows said:
Well if you ever get down to Charleston, we have a lot of mens stores for the size city we are. And I would suggest my own - we have a fairly extensive, and very fast, MTM program that can give you exactly what you might need. Look us up if you ever get down - .

If for no other reason, the box pleated trousers are a reason to visit! I'm in love with those pleats. Very different from my box pleats.

bk

rygd

New in Town
cookie said:
A) you must be married

B) you will have a great selection of vintage suits to buy on eBay. Try ebay.com-vintage clothes - suits

Yes, married, and she is better at handling the money than I am, so that is why my allowance is as it is. I neglected to mention, I am currently in Afghanistan, should be back in April. We are checking ebay, but most of the places I spend time I am unable to access ebay or the Fedora Lounge, and she doesn't know what she doesn't exactly understand what I a a bit m looking for or have as much of an interest in it as I do. I try to get her to look, but it bugs her since she doesn't know what is a good price or good condition. Also size is an issue.

I think she might be a bit intimidated by the idea of posting here, as well.

rygd

New in Town
Sorry for resurrecting this post, but I was curious...how common were waistcoats in the mid 30's through the late 40's? It seems they were at least common with single breasted suits, or maybe I just notice these more. Did the war have any influence on the waistcoat? I can't really tell if there were many waistcoats worn under double breasted jackets, especially during the war. I would guess that maybe they were less common during the summer, however I seem to be having difficulty verifying this.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Waistcoats were very common in the '30s, probably the majority of suits were made with them, both single-and double-breasted. The war cut into this when cloth rationing measures put a crimp on things like waistcoats that used excess fabric. This led to the decline of the waistcoat's popularity overall in the post-war years.

Double-breasted suits were often made with single-breasted waistcoats sans lapels. Double-breasted waistcoats and waistcoats were usually found with single-breasted jackets. And yes, in the summer double-breasted suits probably wouldn't have been worn with waistcoats.

rygd

New in Town
Ok, so during and after the war they were less common, but still around. were they still more popular than today? What are the rules (as in, what looks good) when you want to wear a waistcoat but don't have a matching one for the suit? Colour matching has never been my thing...I used to prefer black and greys so I don't mess it up, but I have been told to start wearing more of a variety. I don't even know how to match shoes to a suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo