Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying A2....

genie

New in Town
Hi, guys

I am the newbie here and got sucked into this A-2 thing :( I am about to buy the new, military cut A-2 as my first jacket. Tried US Authentic first for I like there jacket, but they charge over half of the jacket price to get it delivered to New Zealand - quite an overkill, IMHO, so I opted for Cooper A-2 military. Now, I have a problem with choosing the right size - I am after not too snugg and not too loose fit. I measure another jacket that fits me just right and it turned out that it had 23' chest, 20' shoulders and about 26-27' length - has anyone got any experience with Cooper jackets? I reckon it is more like size 42R (or 42L). Any piece of advice is highly appreciated.

Gene

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Worth every single penny.
But a budget is a budget and they are quite pricey.

Good luck in your search! Major Nick has already pointed you to one of the best sources of info on the net.

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

genie

New in Town
Thanks for welcoming :)
I checked this sizes web site - they have size 40R only for Coopers but judging by this table looks like size 42 would be the better choice for me.

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Hi Genie !

Why don't you check out Ebay, might find something reasonably priced and maybe a bargin jacket there. Stick in A-2 jacket and A2 jacket in the search field and extend the search to 'worldwide'.

Good luck !

Roy

genie

New in Town
Ok, looks like I have a choice now - either Coopers military A-2 or gibson-barnes one - what would A-2 gurus suggest?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hey Gene,
I was going to private message you, but there's no contact info. I have an Aero A-2 jacket in chocolate steerhide size 42 that I was planning on parting with in the near future. It measures 23" at the chest, approx. 19" across shoulders, 23.5" sleeve (not incl. knits). Too big for me, but might be your size. Email me if you're interested.
-Mike

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Gibson and Barnes makes great jackets and are reasonable in their prices. Their customer service is great. I don't know what size you need but there is a goatskin one on ebay right now. Their goatskin A2 is great as well.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
genie said:
Hi, guys

I am the newbie here and got sucked into this A-2 thing :( I am about to buy the new, military cut A-2 as my first jacket. Tried US Authentic first for I like there jacket, but they charge over half of the jacket price to get it delivered to New Zealand - quite an overkill, IMHO, so I opted for Cooper A-2 military. Now, I have a problem with choosing the right size - I am after not too snugg and not too loose fit. I measure another jacket that fits me just right and it turned out that it had 23' chest, 20' shoulders and about 26-27' length - has anyone got any experience with Cooper jackets? I reckon it is more like size 42R (or 42L). Any piece of advice is highly appreciated.

Gene

Try Real McCoys New Zealand. You live there go visit them in Christchurch. Their website shows only a portion of what they offer.
http://www.realmccoys.co.nz/ Go there or e-mail your measurements to Paddy and they will put you in one of the finest A-2s you can buy.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Gene,
As others have noted, staying away from the likes of Cooper, Avirex, etc. would be advised. There are a number of really good A-2 reproductions out there, each with their own nuances...Aero, Eastman, Real McCoy, Gibson & Barnes, etc. Search this forum for previous threads on flight jackets as there are a number of good tips to be found. Also, the Acme Depot site (despite being biased toward Eastman) offers good data on jacket measurements that will prove beneficial. Additionally, you might want to wander over to the Vintage Leather Jackets forum for a wealth of information. You'll find a large number of FL members with a large number of jackets & makers. Each person will have their own preferences for jacket maker. A lot of folks go with Gibson & Barnes (Flightsuits.com). While the cut is more modern, many state that the fit is really good. Personally, I find their leathers lack character. Aero is my preferred A-2 maker and you can get a reasonably priced "budget" jacket that far surpasses the quality of some other makers. If you provide your measurements, they'll custom make you a great jacket. Aero, like a number of other makers, sells an A-2 that is much more of a vintage cut (higher armholes, less blousy torso). As mentioned in an earlier reply, consider the RMNZ jacket since it's made right where you live. I'd rather spend some extra cash on an excellent jacket (that I could actually try on first) than waste money on a mail/internet order from somewhere far away that might not fit quite right. Spend a few weeks doing some serious research on the various makers and reading what others have said about their jackets, then go to a few tailors (each one measures a little differently) and compile your preferred measurements for a jacket, and finally place your order. Hope this helps!
-Mike

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
genie said:
Ok, then, folks - how about Avirex horsehide jacket?

It is an older model I take it? If so, they are decent jackets. I visited US Wings last weekend, and saw a few of their jackets that I liked quite a lot. All were older, (by a few years) and discontinued unfortunately. The Avirex name was sold to another company about a year ago and is now producing some sort of urban contemporary "A2" jackets. :mad:
However, they will produce some of the old styles under the name, "The Cockpit". See this link for a little info on Avirex and a few pics,...http://www.uswings.com/avirex.asp

genie

New in Town
Nope, it's their current MacArthur model - and I am not after some hugely authentic jacket, just want very comfy flying one and I like A-2 style immensly. I've been offered the MacArthus model just recently but I couldn't find any information and close-ups on the leather quality and such.

Mike K.

One Too Many
...as stated
Mike K. said:
staying away from the likes of Cooper, Avirex, etc. would be advised.
Gene, as I recall the only supposedly decent Avirex jackets were made back in the early 1980s or thereabouts. The quality today is pathetic...that's why you find them in shopping malls here in the U.S. For about the same price you could get something like an Aero Leather budget A-2 that's significantly higher quality. A step up will land you at Gibson & Barnes. Go up again and you have the better Aeros, Eastmans, RMNZ, etc. Don't know what your budget is but don't sell yourself short with a crappy jacket. Also, consider waiting a couple more months and you'll start seeing more A-2 jackets popping up for auction online...you could probably get a really good deal on a jacket.

Another tip...check all the old threads here and at the Vintage Leather Jackets forum. You won't find a great deal of discussion on jackets like Avirex. There's a good reason behind that! ;)

genie

New in Town
Aye - for the last two weeks I've been reading nothing more but the A-2 - related articles :) And right now I have a huge dilemma - as I mentioned above, I am not after 100% authentic WWII A-2 - the modern one would be fine. What I want is fairly decent quality leather and current military issue cut (just don't like this side pockets). I keep falling in love with old and pseudo-old jackets but I don't want to spend more than $300 on it and right now Avirex and Coopers look quite allright to me. I have a feeling that I will start looking for authenticity after wearing my first A-2 for a while, though :)

genie

New in Town
Ok, guys, my search for the jacket is over, I guess :) Just ordered and payed for US Authentic goat jacket - thanks a lot, guys, for all your advices!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart