Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson L2A Superior Togs Version (Transitional lining)

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My latest purchase: A Buzz Rickson L2A, Superior Toggs Version (Transitional lining). Obtained from one of our respected members here (thanks Monsoon) & it's a beauty. The nylon shell is absolutely superb & a shade of 'The Hunters' Blue. Lining is the transitional green, which makes for an interesting contrast to the shell. Interlining is as it should be (65% nylon 35% wool double-faced inner lining) & great for the light zone. Knits are constructed from thick two-ply 100% worsted wool. Original maker’s label produced on a vintage shuttle loom that includes the contractor name, Superior Togs. Zippers are a 'Crown' on the main zip & 'Talon' on the cigarette pocket.

This jacket is a size 46 which works well with my frame (46" chest) & broad shoulders. IMHO this jacket is big in the shoulders at around 22" (top seam) & (23" from sleeve seam), tapering nicely to a 27" chest (tailored look). At 5.10" the length covers my belt & the sleeves are 'spot on'.

I admit to being a bit of a nylon freak & Buzz Rickson do make some lovely nylon at a premium price. I blame 'Sloan' for this particular purchase, him having enthused over the B15-C that I sold him & I beat 'Stand By' in posting Buzz L2A pics. I must thank 'Monsoon' again for allowing me to buy this lovely jacket from him. I am planning on purchasing an ELC B2 Cap in '50 cal' (beat up look) to compliment my nylon for that 'Korea' look.

Attachments

• IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 1,792
  • IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 856
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 823

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Top stuff, and an ideal fit! Happy to take responsibility for this one! You've caught the lighter shade it turns in day light - something I've only noticed since wearing it out. I'm afraid it'll be hard for you to return to Alpha land now:D It's either this or an original, I think...

bn1966

You are totally correct Sloan, top stuff, great fit & you are to blame (mainly....thanks!!). The only Alpha's I now entertain are original service issue (lovely...most of them) & Alpha USA 'Replica' Series. L2A Shade is roughly the same as your B15. Have just scored an Alpha sage mid-70's N2B which is 'top notch' compared to later service issue jackets. What I want is a Buzz B15-C in size 46 :)

bn1966

The quality is quite outstanding Edward, do avail yourself if an opportunity occurs. My Alpha 'Vintage' series L2A VS Buzz version...no contest!! (obvious price difference)

Superfluous

I was not a fan of (nor information about) nylon jackets when I joined this forum. The more I see and learn, the more I like. Congrats on a great looking jacket!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's a peach BN, well done!

If I was you I'd be tempted to source an original 1950s Japanese made patch for one of the FIS for that one ;)

Stand By

One Too Many
The jacket looks great, BN ! I like the transitional lining a lot as it makes it a touch different - and it fits nicely on you too !
Now I'm really looking forward to mine showing up … somewhat impatiently now ! :)

(And now I get the "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" comment!). Will post it in due course when it appears …

bn1966

Thanks Stand By.....they are lovely jackets & I love the transitional lining with it's contrast to the shell, shoulders come up wider than my service L2Bs & chest slightly narrower...does give a more tailored look & the Buzz lengths are quite civilised. How long is the wait likely to be? Should be worth it! Top materials! Looking forward to the pics SB.

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks Stand By.....they are lovely jackets & I love the transitional lining with it's contrast to the shell, shoulders come up wider than my service L2Bs & chest slightly narrower...does give a more tailored look & the Buzz lengths are quite civilised. How long is the wait likely to be? Should be worth it! Top materials! Looking forward to the pics SB.

Still not sure when it'll be - Charles said he'd let me know when it's ready to ship so he can let me know the charge on my credit card ... so no news is still good news pending ! :)
But I know what I'm in for with the quality - this will be my second BR (an L2-A) and you're right when you say the materials are truly outstanding. This was me a few years ago in my first L2 (and I loved it. Never should have moved it on...).

Attachments

• FirstL2-A.jpg
    FirstL2-A.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

bn1966

Nice jacket Stand By, I too moved my first one on...wasn't sure about the fit...I've subsequently realised after more nylon experience (in particular L2Bs..many) that the original Buzz was indeed a great fit. Current Buzz L2A fits just like it should. Hope yours is with you soon.

Blackadder

Lovely jacket. Buzz has made a new L-2 test sample probably special edition this fall but it is cloth shell in stead of nylon.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I really love the colour of Standby's jacket, just great.

Do the Buzz L2A or L2B jackets have the wool blend lining? I don't mean insulation, I mean the lining.

bn1966

From Buzz website: Re early L2B Model

"Custom manufacturing of the correct 65% rayon 35% wool double-faced inner lining in silver-grey sage green, reflecting early L-2B manufacture".

Stand By

One Too Many
I really love the colour of Standby's jacket, just great.

Do the Buzz L2A or L2B jackets have the wool blend lining? I don't mean insulation, I mean the lining.

I know - it was a great colour. I moved it on as my girlfriend said she was sick of seeing me in all my flight jackets all year round and they all look the same to her (apparently) and they're all brown leather and earth tones … and so I decided to let it go and just wear a denim jacket. I know. I know. I kick myself.
So I've sold some stuff of eBay recently and have some money to get what i want (alas not enough for an ELC ANJ-4) - and so I want another L-2 as i miss it as it's the perfect jacket for summer morning dog walks - and this time I'm going to go for an L2-A as it's BLUE - to add some colour to my wardrobe ! It's a win-win ! :)
And no, I'm not letting this one go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic