Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bye bye television!

Edward

Bartender
missjoeri said:
I think this is the way tv is going anyway, pure selective viewing, no more endless broadcasting and hoping you find the right show at the right time.

I agree. My belief is that the way the medium is headed is towards a limited number of live content channels (specifically rolling news, and perhaps ppv or free to air sporting events), with the rest being selective viewing. That'd suit me. I'll never get rid of my TV. I love radio too, though it seems to me often that the proportion of crap on radio is equally high.... there's so much great stuff on tv. The deal I've made with that particular devil is that I try only to watch programmes I specifically want to see rather than just putting it on for the sake of something to do.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Got a screen, but only for DVDs - no arial, cable or satellite reception, and wouldn't try and link up anyway. Admit to having bought "House" on DVD after seeing it on Amazon while looking for new DVD releases (Hugh Laurie, sigh...) and have bought a few 'TV' DVDs of documentary things, but other than that I'd rather have a great selection of films for down time, and then go do something more interesting instead. Don't use the computer either for anything other than...this...and work. Oh, and online shopping :eek:

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
CABLE never had it!

Have always used small inhouse antenna. If I see cable its at someone else's place or at a hotel.

My screen is mostly for DVD play!

Solid Citizen [huh]

vonwotan

Practically Family
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this. I did without for two years before my family "convinced" me that I should give in a buy a TV. It's been several months now that I have a TV and cable and I'm seriously considering cancelling my service - the cable modem is nice but programming and commercials are worse than I remember...

pgoat

One Too Many
Another primarily DVD - and VHS - user here, tho we do use the cable tv for TCM, Sundance and other movies. I can't remember the last time I watched a "prime Time" show, other than things like LA Ink/Miami Ink, excercise shows, the Tour de France and so forth.

Congratulations and I hope you make it!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
TV Joeri will like

http://www.tvdawn.com/movies/tmwtfihm.rm (RealMedia file)

Re-creation of a 1930 TV play using the original period technology.
AFAIK nothing like this was ever attempted again.

piran8.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I understand the sentiment, but I can't adopt it personally.

I view TV as a window into our society, and one that is important to me. I use it for a variety of things - both entertainment and information - and wouldn't voluntarily go without one.

This probably has something to do with the fact that I'm a radio and TV pro by background, so those media are really part of my life and habit patterns.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hey, Good for you and I totally respect that choice! :eusa_clap

As for me, I love television. I love my HDTV and "American Idol," "House," "Law & Order," "Doctor Who," "The Terminator," "24," "Heroes," and so many more.

I do find myself watching more and more tv on my phone though, but here's to technology and choices! :)

panamag8or

Practically Family
I too, love my TV. I can't live without sitcoms. I also have a broadcasting background, so I tend to look at things critically, especially local programming. I just choose not to watch the truly absurd stuff that's out there.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Ding ding!

I vote for the OP's choice- I only use my TV for movies as well. I even bought one used at the Goodwill just to keep my financial "commitment" down.
I realize there ARE a few good shows on... what's the one about the family of midgets? They are cool- the father DOES NOT quit, no matter what! He teaches his kids that attitude too which is priceless.
The only show on TV that I loved was "Angel".... "House" was good too. Beyond that, NTSC or PAL format? :p

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
I love radio too, though it seems to me often that the proportion of crap on radio is equally high....

I NEVER listen to radio anymore. Ok, I listen to radio probably once a year; and that's on the rare occasion that I tune into Coast to Coast AM. The rest of the time, I never feel like listening to whatever songs are being played on the radio at the time, and then they cut to commercials for a decade anyway!

Mp3 player, CD player, and Itunes for me thank you!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Another vhs/dvd only here. We haven't had cable in about 6 years. We don't have an antenna either. All my news comes from word of mouth or the pc.
I do occasionally miss HGTV and AMC and TCM tho. But they're certainly not worth $50 a month.

I'm glad so many of you are out there. I get so many people gasping that we don't have cable.
Nikki

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I don't watch TV a lot... Except in the morning when I have breakfast and I want to know a bit about the government in my country you know lol lol... Well; I prefer to have a walk and imagine beautiful things lol lol lol lol!!!!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No TV!

Haven't had one in years - but w have the VCR, DVD, and instant download Netflix... but at least no big ugly box! We use a video projector and a slide screen! Big screen fun without the furniture.
Not much on TV worth watching anyway, besides BBC on PBS and the Simpsons...

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been hearing the "I don't watch TV" or "I threw it away," since the 50s. My 1st response is to laugh at you for your narrow and bigoted mindset. If you don't care for entertainment you are sadly missing the myriad educational-based programming that exists today as never before.

I realize it's avante garde to jump in an claim to not watch TV as if it elevates one above other mortals. In the past few years I've seen as historically accurate programming as one can get.

While 1-2 hour programs usually can only touch briefly on the highlights of societies, peoples, countries and such, that's what libraries are for. These programs whether totally documentary or partially entertaining in scope are bases to do research in greater depth. Hmm? What about this Leif Ericson fellow? Jupiter has a faint ring too? How many moons does it have? What are nanites?

While I have but a few dedicated subjects that stimulate me greatly I expand my horizons by viewing programs on things that I'm not very interested in simply for the knowledge exposure. I may not be interested in the mechanics of modern architcture or how diamonds are mined and graded but learn something nonetheless.

The fact is that new research and development does not always get press on so-called news websites in any depth. Almost without exception most of the edited content of the web news is watered down and dumbed down by people with scant writing or editorial skills compared to a newspaper or TV newswriter.

The CGI employed to illustrate historical events such as battles in long past wars are superb. Seeing what I've read reinforces the events I'm familiar with and opens the world to those viewing for the 1st time. I have personally interviewed men in battles then seen the computer generated graphics before truly consolidating my grasp of the event.

I've conversed with collegues who share the same interests and find that those who don't view the programs showing the latest discoveries in certain fields are embarrassingly talking with yesterday's knowledge. "Oh, you didn't know they found a hyoid bone in Neanderthal remains? " Some of these subjects are simply not covered in any depth with regard to the latest points of view in any other media. Too soon for acedemia's papers and books to have been published.

Purchasing DVDs is prohibitively expensive in comparison not considering that often by the time they are out new material has been uncovered. I find it presumptious to divorce ones self from society because of the entertainment, or lack of, on TV. How does one fit into a conversation discussing visual aspects of current events? And don't say you watch You Tube's lame crap. It's on TV 1st no matter if it hits the web later.

While I share your non-interest in programs such as Survivor or Friends it doesn't mean there are no well-scriped fiction programs that give views and stimulus to think, imagine and even dream. It all isn't locked in 70 year old movies. Purposely divorcing ones self from the comedy or drama of your society is your loss.

Then again, if you cannot discriminate junk from quality entertainment and educational programming perhaps you should give up TV.
th_dancingfatkid.gif

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Twitch: I threw out the tv because I discriminate between what I think is crap tv and what I really enjoy. And I really do see the value of different types of screen entertainemt, I jus't don't like the way the tv let's us enjoy it.

What I like most, is TVseries. I still watch them, but on dvd. I enjoy them even more that way, being able to see the episodes in closer relation to each other.

What I don't like is zapping around for hours, but not really watching anything. With the tv hooked up, I tended to do that even though I din't really want to.

So to get rid of the tv was logical to us. Don't owning a tv doesn't have to mean not enjoying screen entertainment.

And like many has pointed out, this selective kind of "tv"watching is the way it's gonna be in the future anyway. Some of us are just a little ahead...;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Some of the cable channels are really good, but finding out obscure facts about Neanderthals or the solar system isn't worth $50 per month for me. As for movies, I pay $5.83 to Netflix. That and PBS, and a few network shows, suit my needs.

I've done without a TV before, and it had nothing to do with impressing other people. When I was a kid, the blasted thing was on 18 hours a day, and that was enough to last me for a very long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic