Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

c. 1930s Original Macintosh Coat, by Chas. Macintosh! Made in London.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
This is absolutely GORGEOUS and exceptionally rare!

Charles Mackintosh was the inventor of the waterproof fabric that he used to make raincoats; indeed, he could be credited with being the inventor of the raincoat as we know it today. He developed the fabric between 1823 and 1943--the date of his death--and founded the company Chas. Macintosh & Co. Unfortunately, the company's fortunes only bloomed after Charles' death with the discovery of vulcanization, first by Goodyear in the United States and then separately in 1843 in England. In 1846 the Macintosh company purchased the rights to a process that enabled single-texture fabrics to be vulcanized, and by 1851 the process was so successful that the Macintosh firm's stand at the Great Exhibition--designed to showcase British international superiority in, well, everything--won significant awards for its clothing lines.

Macintosh was purchased by Dunlop in 1923, and production on the original Manchester site only ceased in 2000--although the original factory had been destroyed by bombing in 1940 during the Second War.

While "Macintosh" was originally only applied to Macintosh's products so successful and popular were they that competitors quickly were selling their wares as Macintosh coats--as the fierce warnings from the C19th advertisement below attest!--and the name "Macintosh" quickly because established as the generic name for a rubberized waterproof coat.... and then for any raincoat at all.

This coat is a GENUINE Macintosh.

Moreover, this is a beautiful example of a vintage coat. Judging by the wonderful vintage lapel this coat dates from before the Second World War. It was not only Made in England, but was Made in London

And this is an utterly useable coat, despite its age! Cut as a standard balmacaan raincoat, this beauty features a button front with an elegant concealed placket and two deep slash front pockets, one of which reaches through so you can get into your trouser pockets without taking off your coat. It has lapped seams along the sleeves and down the centre back, and a single hook vent. It has straps to adjust the sleeves to keep out the wind, and a small button to keep the vent secured. All of the original buttons for the sleeve straps and the vent are present and intact. It is fully lined--and features that essential of the 1930s in the liner, the small interior ticket pocket!

This is clearly an older coat--although you'd never guess that it's likely around 80 years old, but might think of it as dating from the 1990s, and used reasonably well. It has a small stain on the front, as shown--possibly the result of a tea spill after a bomb exploded nearby during the London Blitz--and a small snag on the left-hand elbow, both of which are shown. It also has a small snag in the bottom of the lining, as shown. If you get through your life with as little visible effects as this coat you'll have done well!

This is is superb condition for its age, which means that it is in very Good condition overall. As such, this is a true bargain at just $125, or offer, boxed and shipped in the USA.

Tagged 40; Measurements:

Chest: 23
Sleeve: 36 3/4
Shoulder: NA--raglan sleeves.
Length: 43 3/4

MORE PICTURES IN THE NEXT POST!

Yu-kun

New in Town
Hello, I just found your post while searching information of VTG Chas. Macintosh I just purchased.

I strongly believe your coat above was made in early 1940s. Especially lining part made me decide so.

What I bought is also claimed made in 1930s , and I agreed with it as the coat looked even older than other 1940s Macintosh coats. I will post pictures once I have received it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner