Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Californians Please check in!

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
BlameOnMame said:
Grew up in Santa Monica. We have a love-hate relationship.
I currently reside in lovely Koreatown. Just two blocks of the beautiful Wiltern Theater.
I get to walk by it every day and try to imagine Gable standing outside on the eve of it's opening.

I used to live there in the 60's and 70's on St. Andrews between 8th and Wilshire. 722 S. St. Andrews Place. Also attended St. Gregory's over on 9th and Norton. I used to sneak into the Wiltern all the time.

BlameOnMame

New in Town
Martinis at 8 said:
I used to live there in the 60's and 70's on St. Andrews between 8th and Wilshire. 722 S. St. Andrews Place. Also attended St. Gregory's over on 9th and Norton. I used to sneak into the Wiltern all the time.

Oh, nice!
I live on St. Andrews between 6th and Wilshire. I love it.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
BlameOnMame said:
Oh, nice!
I live on St. Andrews between 6th and Wilshire. I love it.

Back before that area became Koreatown there were several socioecomic boundaries. North of Wilshire was considered the wealthier area, around St. Brendan's. Between Wilshire and Olympic was mid-range, and below Olympic was low-range. This all being west of Western. The area has changed much. Also lived in other parts of the city. Born in downtown L.A. and pretty much raised there until moving to the Wiltern area. Sister and mother both attended Immaculate Heart.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
And Hancock Park remains what it has always been. :)

Was just out your way a few months back. It's still nice up there around Fern Dell and up in The Oaks where my aunt lives.

My cousin just moved into a house in Huntington Beach Harbor. That's a new one to me, it was all marsh last time I was in that area, though I have been to SoCal plenty since leaving in the 70's.

armod

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:
Welcome to California! Keep an eye on the events section, I am sure we'll have some fairly near by stuff going on you can join in on!
I only just thought to check the events.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for anything coming up

The Fedora Lounge Queen Mary Event

One event coming up in May 2010 is our annual get together in Long Beach in Southern California at the floating Hotel- the Queen Mary.

This event brings out the locals and we often get a number of people that will travel from across the US and even Europe. (Our good friend and bartender here, Paddy has been fortunate to come to several.)

Originally, it was an October event but there were many calling for a change so we switched it to May. We are getting close to nailing down the dates and will work on the content such as side trips and seminars.

If you go to the steamer Trunk section you can search for Queen Mary and view some of the various years postings of pictures.

If time and budget allows please join us, it's an open event so come for just an Hour or come for the whole weekend. We hope to see you there.

Excellent Idea. Marc Chevalier is most knowledeable and would be a good tour guide. The logistics of getting everyone from Long Beach to LA is not insurmountable. Contact Marc and Matt or post the inquiry on the Queen Mary Event thread.

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
i am noticing that there are many of us in so cal which is great i thought i was all alone in my lttle vintage world ;) noted lots of events in our area on my calendar so i hope to meet many of you soon!;)

We are especially blessed in the Southern California with a number of members and some really great events at our finger tips. Some that really stand out are:

The Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942 down in San Pedro in February

The Vintage Fashion Show in Santa Monica February April October

The schedualed shows at the Cicada at the Oviatt Building in LA

In May we'll be having the The Fedora Lounge Queen Mary Event

In the Summer is "The Ticket to the Twenties"

After that is a stream of dances, bands, car shows, parties, walks, visits along with events put on by the local Art Deco Society where we have some good crossover members. The events section is a first class list of opportunities to choose from and a place to post the cool events you have an interest in to make them known and available to others.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Doran said:
True -- I'm originally from Santa Monica (603 11th Street, to be exact) and it was never hot there. When I was 16, though, my folks moved to Van Nuys. A more horrible place I have never seen in the First World. Boiling hot all year. No culture. No esplanades with fountains. No statues. No nothing. Barely even a public library. A monstrous location.

The Van Nuys family didn't even live there--there is a beautiful house near the Huntington Hotel in Pasadena where some of the later Van Nuys (wisely) lived and are burried at the San Gabriel Cemetery. J. Benton Van Nuys was son of one of the key players in the development of the San Fernando Valley, Isaac Newton Van Nuys. J.B. Van Nuys held extensive farming interests in Mexico and the San Joaquin Valley, and for many years he was director of the Tejon Ranch Company. He was also a leader in the development of Lake Arrowhead. The Van Nuys mausoleum is an asymmetrical, white marble structure with an eaved roof and bronze cast door. The door of the mausoleum is from the old Van Nuys estate.

If you like old cemeteries, this one is worth a visit--the Patton family is there, architects Myron Hunt and one of the Greenes (craftsman headstone, of course) and even Laura Scudder of potato chip fame. Local names like Keck, Lacy (of San Marino Park fame) and Chapman (as in Chapman Woods) abound. Cemetery next to beautiful and historic Church of Our Savior.

Me? I grew up in San Marino and now live in Pasadena and will end up some day in....you guessed it, San Gabriel.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is extremely interesting, Mr Oviatt. I cannot blame the family for not living in the city that bears their name. Honestly, with the exception of the Arab quarter of Saumur in France, I've never seen such a horrid town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy