Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all photographers

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Wow, I'm jealous! That is one sweet digital camera! It is currently the most inexpensive camera that offers 12+MP resolution. The independent review I read stated that the camera is unique in that it offers a full-frame sensor, which is particularly advantageous for wide-angle lens usage.

Here's a link to the review.

Are you a photographer by trade? How much did the deal run you?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nice camera

I was going to get one of those for Christmas, but I can't find the film for it on any shelf at the drug store:p

And GULP! I just saw the price! $$$ Must be one heck of a PROFESSIONAL camera.

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Wow!

Those are some FAST lenses. I haven't looked but that's gotta be some high-priced glass; not to mention the camera body. Pro quality stuff all around. Congratulations!

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Some experience

I spend about 8 to ten years as a commercial photographer. Half way through we went digital. I have to say, the amature line is as nice as our proline was just a few years ago.

What's nice is the turn around. Let's face it, how may keepers do you have in one roll? You're saving $$$ just on the expendables.

Have fun and shoot lots!!

BLB

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
I'm an assistant photographer and this is the camera my boss uses - I drooled the first time I used it!
Before working here I was a complete traditionalist, only believing that an RB67 would ever do, but now I'm seriously saving for one(I think it may be some time in coming)!
The results are excellent and you would truely be hard pushed to tell the difference between this and film. Plus it still makes that beautiful 'crunchy' click of the shutter!
Still, you can't beat a darkroom - the darkness, the smell of the chemicals and the sense of satisfaction when you have perfected you print!

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Well I almost bought a Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II a while back but at eight grand fot just the body OUCH... Even this camera (EOS 5d) is more than I paid for two Hasselbld 500CMs, 50, 80, 120 lenses and 4 220 backs and 120 back and a couple of non mettered eye level finders back in the day. I'm an old analog guy to. Love the smell of stop bath in the morning.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Slicksuit yes I'm a photographer by trade. I work mostly in healthcare. Annual reports, advertising, events and yes some surgical procedures. I've been getting direct scans from my negatives or transparencies any time I need digital images but about 80% of the work I'm doing now requires digital files. I figure this camera will pay for itself the first year with the savings of film and processing. I'm already spending a good deal of computer time cleaning up and adjusting images but I won't have the film and processing costs on those jobs that require digital files.

Costs? With 4 1 gig flash cards, camera, lenses and other stuff about $7000.00. I have old FD Canon lenses which won't work on Canons newer cameras.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
airfrogusmc said:
Slicksuit yes I'm a photographer by trade. I work mostly in healthcare. Annual reports, advertising, events and yes some surgical procedures. I've been getting direct scans from my negatives or transparencies any time I need digital images but about 80% of the work I'm doing now requires digital files. I figure this camera will pay for itself the first year with the savings of film and processing. I'm already spending a good deal of computer time cleaning up and adjusting images but I won't have the film and processing costs on those jobs that require digital files.

Costs? With 4 1 gig flash cards, camera, lenses and other stuff about $7000.00. I have old FD Canon lenses which won't work on Canons newer cameras.

If you need 12 mp then you must be a commercial photographer. That camera is the perfect substitute for a medium format camera. As a newspaper photographer I'm happy with my 6mp Canon D10. In my experiences I've seen average shooters buy the most expensive equipment as status symbols. A talented photographer can get great shots with any camera that's handed to him.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
QB the main reason I've resisted digital in the past is the sensor issue. Seems Canon has solved the problem with their EOS 1D MarkII which I almost bought and now this camera. I don't want my 35mm lens becoming a 48mm lens because of the sensor size.

I still shoot with Hasselblad 500CMs and old Canon F-1s. There are way to many shooters out there that use there cameras as decoration or status symbols. I want stuff thats going to work and give me cosistant results.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't meaning YOU bought it as a status symbol...sounds like your job would require such a camera.

I still have my beat up F-1s...just sitting on a shelf, though. I could never part with them. I've also got a fridge full of film that I don't think I'll ever use.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
QB didn't take it that way. I do agree with the statement. I know photographers that always have to have the newest most expensive stuff whether it fits there needs or not. I haven't bought any new stuff in years. My F-1s are 25+ years old and my Hasselblads are 20 years old. No need to replace them.

Steve

Practically Family
airfrogusmc said:
I pick the new camera up today 1G or 2G flash cards?
That all depends on mow many pictures you plan on taking and leaving on the camera before your next outing. With a resolution like that amazing camera has, a 2 gig is probably advisable.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Steve I picked up 2 /2g cards and 2 /1g cards. Thanks for the advice. I have a job to shoot on Tues and Wed so I'll see how it works out. The thing that is so cool about this camera is how easy it is to shoot manually. The control for shutter speeds is by your index finger and the aperture is by your thumb. Inside the vies finder is a read out of F/stop and shutter speed. Thanks again...
Allen

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany