Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling Cards (name cards, not phone cards)

Highlander

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
I have calling cards but more often I use personalized jotter cards to convey non-business info. You can have only your name or your entire contact info printed on the card. I doubt I could function without my jotter; it's like my memory.

p14090b.jpg

I use those exact cards from Levinger the ones with the grid. I love them.

willyk57

New in Town
New Cards

Well I finally got my calling cards printed and I wanted to drop one in The Lounge to get some feedback. I know that they are not the traditional size (they are business card size), but this way I can keep them with my Business cards. Next time I wil probably be ordering full size cards.

CallingCard.jpg

JimWagner

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Question, how many calling-cards was one typical person or couple likely to need over a lifetime?

Let's see...

I graduated high school in 1965 and received a bunch of calling cards with my graduation invitations. What didn't get sent with the invitations were traded with my class mates. The rest sat in a drawer for a couple of years and then tossed. That was the last time I used a personal calling card.

For that matter, not being a salesman, I've never used a significant number of business cards out of each box I've been given. After reorgs began happening every year or so even the places I worked gave up on printing business cards for most people.

Cricket

Practically Family
My biggest problem is that I tend to forget my cards, or they are shoved in my top drawer.
Whenever I really need one, which is often being a reporter, I find myself searching for them in my bag. I only then realize, after slapping my forehead, that I left them in my desk.
Then it is usually a name with a short note of some sort scribbled on a tore off piece of reporter's notebook. :eusa_doh:

Gotta work on that.

grundie

One of the Regulars
I always carry a supply of calling cards. They feature only my name and they are printed on crisp white card. You cannot get any simpler than this.

A few years ago when I first carried calling cards I did some research and learned that back when they were in common use, some people would only have their name on the card. The idea being this is that the person handing over the card can quickly scribble any relevant contact details for the receiver. This way you can control who gets you contact details. Also, writing in such details is a nice personal touch that the receiver may appreciate.

I've been in situations where I have met someone and would be happy to let them have my email address, but not my phone number. If I were to have my phone number and email address on the card do I scribble out my number, which would appear rude, or do I choose not to hand over the card and risk loosing contact with that person?

Colonel

One of the Regulars
willyk57 said:
Well I finally got my calling cards printed and I wanted to drop one in The Lounge to get some feedback. I know that they are not the traditional size (they are business card size), but this way I can keep them with my Business cards. Next time I wil probably be ordering full size cards.

CallingCard.jpg
Very nice, Mr. Keller. This is the first time I've seen a card with the city, state, and zip code, but no address. What was you thinking - how did you come up with that (i.e., zip code but no address)? I can understand zip code with address, or city and state only, but just the zip code and no street address is a mystery to me. Please understand that I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it - just wondering about the reasoning behind it.

Very classy design on it. Is the tree a stock design that you found? Very nice looking design, sir!

willyk57

New in Town
Colonel said:
What was you thinking - how did you come up with that (i.e., zip code but no address)?

Very classy design on it. Is the tree a stock design that you found? Very nice looking design, sir!

My reasoning for including the zip code was that if I give someone my mailing address it would be cleaner looking and less confusing to only add the street and street number.

The Tree is not a stock image, it is based on an art tree image I found several yeas ago and adopted as a personal crest.

Thank you for the remarks.
Willy K

Edward

Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
If you're trying to make a good impression, it would seem to be a good way to do so! It will help even more if you write the information with a decent fountain pen, instead of a pen you swiped from the Holiday Inn.

I find that, yes! I try to always have a fountain pen on me. When I first used men and ink in primary school, in 1984, it was fountain pen, then I went back to them when I was fourteen. Been using them ever since by preference. I don't think twice about it myself anymore, but there are few folks who don't comment on them, especially when I'm brandishing a Parker 51. The hooded nib is something a lot of folks haven't seen before.

I recently had Vista Print run me up a bunch of this design:

spacer.gif

I have only three lines of information. I have my name and my email address immediately below that. I have a Yahoo.com address I've been using since about 2002; I find it wonderfully convenient as it can be access anywhere and via any device from which I have web access. Also, nowadays folks can find me on Facebook etc just by searching for that address. Anything extra I want the individual to have, I can write on it. I did try it with just name and email, but it looked a bit off with the thick line at the top, so I added the legend "Diseased Mind Productions" along the top - an old "corporate" identity I have long used for shows I've written and so on. Adds a nice flair, I feel. I also paid the extra few pennies for an entirely blank back to the cards (no Vista Print logo), which looks really classy.

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
In that case, if you don't get many landline calls, it might be reasonable and not too expensive to have calls to your landline number forwarded to your mobile.

I toyed with that idea, but most of them are junk cold-calling, so I'd prefer not to have them passed on at all! lol

Miss Neecerie said:

Probably as well that's not your info, a lady has to be careful posting that sort of thing online with so many men around. ;) I really like that design.... reminds me of Vicki Butterfly, who is one of the most outstanding acts on the cabaret-burlesque circuit these days - Vicki does a stunning routine based around peacock imagery. I know folks who wouldn't have peacock feathers or imagery in the house.... traditionally in Ireland they're associated with the Banshee.... I also read that in some cultures they are linked to the vampyre. Needless to say, this makes them darkly attractive to any of us with a latent gothic sensibility. ;)

Edward

Bartender
I've found that in the time I have been using them the only reaction I've had is 'what a good idea!' - so much more convenient than having to write out an email address, or whatever. Normally I can be guaranteed to have one of these in my wallet even on occasions I'm not carrying a pen.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
JLStorm said:
I have had a few people hand me those calling cards when we I gave them my business card. I figured either were unemployed or just really wanted to have business cards, but didnt work in a position where they were warranted, so they just had cards made up to try and fit in. I personally think they are not a wise idea in any setting. In a business setting they make you look unprofessional or unemployed and in a personal setting they give off the image that you take yourself far to seriously or are just full of yourself....otherwise you would just have them put your number in their cell phone or vice versa.

But thats just my opinion. For what its worth though, they do look nice and you all have excellent taste, I just would never use them.

Considering that there are a vast number of highly professional and capable folks unemployed currently, associating having a tasteful card of a personal nature give me and most other folks more respect for them then if they just scribbled their info on a napkin or something else equally unprofessional.

Conversely, I do not hand out business cards in social settings, as I work in a sensitive industry, and thus don't walk about advertising that fact.

I also do not walk around social occasions handing cards out like candy, but it's nice to have something quick to give a person when a connection is made.

If you personally don't feel a gap in your personal ability to hand out info, fine.
But you judgements on the status of those who do feel such a need, merely illustrates why you probably don't get asked to share personal contact info beyond a work setting.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ladies and Gentlemen...

"Move along please..."

All's been said. Now what about designs; layouts; wording; info; uses; and even cases for those personal calling cards...? :)

(Resident Bartender Notified )*

Puzzicato

One Too Many
We're moving offices soon, so will need all new stationery. Is it shallow that I want our business cards redesigned so that I can use a vintage cigarette case as my card case? It's a touch narrow for my existing cards!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I think your asking at the wrong place! (This coming from the woman who cuts the ends off her cigarettes so she can squeeze them in her deco cigarette case). Actually i did see a calling card case in a shop the other day, with some of the original cards in, too lovely. Good idea though. x

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss sofia said:
I think your asking at the wrong place! (This coming from the woman who cuts the ends off her cigarettes so she can squeeze them in her deco cigarette case). Actually i did see a calling card case in a shop the other day, with some of the original cards in, too lovely. Good idea though. x

That is commitment!

I will see if I can slide it through without specifically saying why!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For those in the UK...

One of the members 'here' pointed me towards this site.

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/

They really do have heaps of designs which 'you can' if you so desire, then customise and tailor to your own personal needs (Id Est: You can import your own design or photos). ;)

There are even cards on this site with 1930's scenes on one side (but, even though these really caught my eye, I'm leaning towards "less is more" and keeping it 'clean and classic').

Well priced too - me thinks!!

HAPPY HUNTING..:eusa_clap

moynihan

New in Town
Interesting thread.
I use a calling card, when not in a situation I feel is appropriate for me to use my business card.
I own the web domain for my first and last name run together. Consequently, my personal email address also includes my full name.
So my card is:

www my name dot com
my email address
my cell phone number

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters