Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling on all AERO "Happy Days" Jacket owners...

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
So you decided on an Aero Happy Days in mid-weight smooth seal brown HH with brass zipper? How about the lining? Aero has so many great choices! Any inside pockets? What kind of lead time did they give for a completion date?

If I was living in Australia, I'd go with cotton, simply to get max use from the jacket.

Aero's cotton drill lining is tough as nails and very wearable. With the exception of my Teamster with moleskin body shell lining, my other Aeros are lined throughout with cotton drill to wear in Texas for the very reason just given by Sloan.

I will take Sloan and Fanch's advice on this, and go with cotton drill lining - Brown Heavy Duty Cotton Drill I think:

69753298ef0e4b97_Brown Cotton Drill.jpg

No inside pocket.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
What thread colour?

Lastly, what thread colour (if you get to chose this) would look best (and be most authentic early 50s) with the SEAL BROWN SMOOTH HORSEHIDE and SEAL knit?

SMOOTHE SEAL BROWN HORSEHIDE 2.jpg SEAL BROWN SMOOTHE HORSEHIDE.jpg Seal Brown - Mid Brown.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I will take Sloan and Fanch's advice on this, and go with cotton drill lining - Brown Heavy Duty Cotton Drill I think:

View attachment 21258

No inside pocket.

Well, I'm glad to see this thread re-opened as the "Fonzie" jacket is one of my all time favorites, likely my #1 choice among the knit jackets that would be perfect in either MWHH or goatskin and lined throughout with cotton drill. Should you go with an inside vertical pocket, consider one in the leather facing without any fastening (snap, zipper, etc.) at all as I did in by Teamster and Pioneer jackets.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm glad to see this thread re-opened as the "Fonzie" jacket is one of my all time favorites, likely my #1 choice among the knit jackets that would be perfect in either MWHH or goatskin and lined throughout with cotton drill. Should you go with an inside vertical pocket, consider one in the leather facing without any fastening (snap, zipper, etc.) at all as I did in by Teamster and Pioneer jackets.

On Aero's website regarding an INSIDE POCKET:

These have proved very popular although it's not an option we are too keen on and we strongly advise against this option especially in our slimmer fitting 1920s and 1930s styles. It's not a good idea in any leather jacket, the pattern of the inside pocket will gradually appear on the outside in the form of a rectangular wear pattern which will detract from the overall appearance of the jacket.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Aero has this view but I've never found it happening. Even if I did it would just be part of the jacket's wear. You'll find seams sometimes show up as lines on the jacket exterior too. I like it. A pocket lined with moleskin tucked in as above will be pretty harmless. Of course if you don't carry much of anything - I don't - maybe you won't need pockets.

repo

Familiar Face
Aero has this view but I've never found it happening. Even if I did it would just be part of the jacket's wear. You'll find seams sometimes show up as lines on the jacket exterior too. I like it. A pocket lined with moleskin tucked in as above will be pretty harmless. Of course if you don't carry much of anything - I don't - maybe you won't need pockets.

I have a Highwayman with 2 inside pockets which is definitely showing the rectangular shape and snap fastener. I am glad there are no inside pockets on my Dustbowl and would take Aero's advice on this (my latest jackets have been bought from the sale page but I wouldn't specify them in the future). All of my jackets show creases from the breast pocket and from where the inside facing meets the shoulder seam but looks better with wear.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a Highwayman with 2 inside pockets which is definitely showing the rectangular shape and snap fastener. I am glad there are no inside pockets on my Dustbowl and would take Aero's advice on this (my latest jackets have been bought from the sale page but I wouldn't specify them in the future). All of my jackets show creases from the breast pocket and from where the inside facing meets the shoulder seam but looks better with wear.

Fair enough. I've just looked at some of my other jackets I can see a feint outline of pocket lining and facing but I don't mind the look.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have had the rectangle appear on the right hand of my jacket, though there were unusual circumstances that it came through. If you're getting one, get it on the side of the chest pocket - the pocket bag of the exterior pocket seems to help slow/lessen the effect. Should say that it doesn't bother me, as it's not glaringly obvious in the overall look of the jacket, but I haven't bothered with inside pockets on any of my subsequent jackets.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The jacket of mine illustrating the vertical inside pocket is also brown FQHH which IMO has far more "character" than Aero's MWHH. I also much prefer Aero's veg tanned goatskin over MWHH for the same reason.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Cheers!I know you're set on HH, but Aero do a mid-brown in goat - Rudie had a jacket made in it.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Fair enough. I've just looked at some of my other jackets I can see a feint outline of pocket lining and facing but I don't mind the look.

I've had it too. Never bothered me, in the same way as when my jeans used to develop fading reflecting where my wallet sat in the back pocket it never bothered me. I think it's a personal thing. The reason Aero advise against the inner pockets in some designs but will do them of folks really wantg them is because they had some folks complain about it, I think. I can see how with this sort of luxury good something that niggles might be a real irritant, but it's all subjective. The spec I've come to prefer is one inner pocket, on the opposite side from the breast pocket (I'm left handed, and the right hand side is where I keep my wallet in a blazer or w.h.y.).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21