Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling on all AERO "Happy Days" Jacket owners...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think that one would ultimately end up with more "grain" with horsehide than with goat. It's just the fanatstic "feel" of the veg tanned gaotskin that appeals to me but also with the brown FQHH jacket that I have. Less so for my MWHH jacket, maybe with the exception of my Aero Bronco A-2 that has fantastic grain, feel, appearance, and patina. I won't comment on Thurston's Italian HH since I have not seen it, although it makes little sense to me for someone from Australia to go that route.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Leather types and colours?

What are the leather types and colours of these:

SEAL BROWN.jpg DARK BROWN a_2_aero42.jpg DARK SEAL.jpg a_2_rw1.jpg

Are they AERO (I can't tell because it's a Japanese site: http://www.wriver.com/gorilla/goods/few/MODEL_07_08.html)

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
I think that one would ultimately end up with more "grain" with horsehide than with goat. It's just the fanatstic "feel" of the veg tanned gaotskin that appeals to me but also with the brown FQHH jacket that I have. Less so for my MWHH jacket, maybe with the exception of my Aero Bronco A-2 that has fantastic grain, feel, appearance, and patina.

Is goatskin MW, because you said this in another thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...the-ealy-50s&p=1875533&viewfull=1#post1875533

If I were getting one of those jackets, it would be the Aero Fonzie "Happy Days" jacket hands down. In fact, my next jacket would be the Happy Days with MWHH lined with cotton drill throughout as I live in the Sun Belt of N Central Texas.

I won't comment on Thurston's Italian HH since I have not seen it, although it makes little sense to me for someone from Australia to go that route.

Agreed.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars

Edward

Bartender
In my experience, the colour of the knits on civilian jackets was most commonly matched to the jacket colour, but I think all options were available. Leatherwise, I love that deep brown that almost looks black. Reminds me of the Hilts A2, which is why I got into A2s...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
In my experience, the colour of the knits on civilian jackets was most commonly matched to the jacket colour, but I think all options were available. Leatherwise, I love that deep brown that almost looks black. Reminds me of the Hilts A2, which is why I got into A2s...

Agreed and I also love that deep brown.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think I might have misspoken in the other thread. Between FQHH and MWHH I would choose MWHH over FQHH for a Happy Days jacket, although veg tanned russet goatskin would be a serious consideration based on what I have in my closet. BTW I am wearing my brown jerky MWHH Mulligan as I sit on the DART light rail typing this on my iPhone 6. :D

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
I think I might have misspoken in the other thread. Between FQHH and MWHH I would choose MWHH over FQHH for a Happy Days jacket, although veg tanned russet goatskin would be a serious consideration based on what I have in my closet. BTW I am wearing my brown jerky MWHH Mulligan as I sit on the DART light rail typing this on my iPhone 6. :D

Cool.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If you're in San Francisco, you can get anything you want, tailor made, at Johnson Leathers. No drama, no getting soaked, no non-face to face communications. Where's the downside I'd like to know?

How is your flight jacket with the mouton coming along? That was a great one.

xmr

One of the Regulars
Afaik you can always just send the jacket back to Aero and get a refund/bigger size.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
I'm suspect the colour and grain variation may not be what he's after, though the weight is. Dave is literally against the grain! But have a look at the Thurston thread, see what you think:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Veg-Tanned-Horsehide-for-Aero-Jackets/page35

Yep, not for me!

Actually, I have changed my mind Sloan...

These pictures posted by Carrie @ Thurston Bros. (and reproduced below) of the Vicenza Italian Veg tanned FQHH really caught my eye. So I have spoken again to Denny from Aero (because the Aero "Happy Days" really is the most outstanding of all the civilian A-2 jackets with slash pockets), and he is sending me samples of Vicenza Italian Veg tanned FQHH in Seal (1st two pictures) and Dark Seal (3rd picture):

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Although I look forward to receiving the samples, I think I have finally found my leather and colour - Vicenza Italian Veg tanned FQHH in Seal.

Last edited:

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Still trying to decide on leather and knit colour!

Denny from Aero tells me the leather in the photo below is Brown Chromexcel FQ Horsehide:

6434dc3d00228d7d_john daniel 50s Bomber.jpg

What colour are the knits?

Do you think this leather and colour combination would make a nice authentic early 50s "Happy Days" jacket?

Cheers,
Dave

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
IMO a Happy Days seal Vicenza HH with brown knits would make a fantastic, understated jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner